PE/CS- Pt. Draping plus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reward

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Draping patient:

1. As I know, we can do this while we do physical exam. But, when I read different forums I can see that some recomends to cover leg some thing? What we exactly need to do when we get in to the room? The pt. is normally wear a gowen and the gowen does not cover the leg and I hope the pt properly wear it. Well, when we do physical we need to make sure we expose only the required part and we drape the rest..so, is there any draping required any where that we can do in the first time we get in to the room or later?

2. If pt cough or wheeze..some thing like that to simulate a murmur or wheeze or other..do we need to take that as a murmur or wheeze even if not?

3. this one is for COMLEX PE___if an OMM pt. asks a manuplation and also requests a specific technique,are we doing that specific technique? what if we don't get a somathic disfunction requiring that technique? can we just make it up and do that technique? can we consider another technique? is that ok? or we have to do what the pt needs?
3. What if we are run out of time for OMM? is that ok to put on plan__both our omm findings and also to put further omm evaluation?

4. If we forget to ask some history questions, is that ok to ask later on , like after we finish physical or at the end?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

More important than any of your questions above is your need for a better grasp on the English language. There is no way you will get a passing grade if you communicate with patients or write your note as you did above.

Draping patient:

1. As I know, we can do this while we do physical exam. But, when I read different forums I can see that some recomends to cover leg some thing? What we exactly need to do when we get in to the room? The pt. is normally wear a gowen and the gowen does not cover the leg and I hope the pt properly wear it. Well, when we do physical we need to make sure we expose only the required part and we drape the rest..so, is there any draping required any where that we can do in the first time we get in to the room or later?

reply READ FIRST AID-the beginning chapter explains it all in terms of what to do when you enter the room-if you are taking this PE, I assume you are a 3rd year who has seen patients-what do you do when you enter the room during your rotations?

2. If pt cough or wheeze..some thing like that to simulate a murmur or wheeze or other..do we need to take that as a murmur or wheeze even if not?
reply Coughing, sneezing, etc might be a prompt-ask the patient for some water, if theyre ok, etc...again, FA is key. read it. love it.

3. this one is for COMLEX PE___if an OMM pt. asks a manuplation and also requests a specific technique,are we doing that specific technique? what if we don't get a somathic disfunction requiring that technique? can we just make it up and do that technique? can we consider another technique? is that ok? or we have to do what the pt needs?
3. What if we are run out of time for OMM? is that ok to put on plan__both our omm findings and also to put further omm evaluation?
reply For OMM, dont go nuts-i highly doubt pts will ask for specific techniques, but I would know basic things-soft tissue, MFR, etc. Also dont spend your entire time doing OMM, its not worth it.
4. If we forget to ask some history questions, is that ok to ask later on , like after we finish physical or at the end?
reply If you are crunched for time, then YES, document in your note and in your plan, write that you will finish, or perform a more complete exam (be specific...mention how youll do a full neuro exam)

In general, READ FA, the beginning chapter has the most info you will need. I wouldnt stress on OMM, just dont snap anyones vertebral artery and youll be fine. As for the other poster on this forum-I would agree-from your post, it seems like your ability to communicate is choppy-I dont say this to offend, but rather, I know that when preparing for the PE, I spent more time practicing my note than anything else cuz my writing is terrible-LEFT HANDERS unite!!! Also, a big aspect of the test isnt necessarily asking all the right questions or doing all the right techniques, but rather how you communicate with the patient, as well as on your note-

Sorry! I accept what you said. My writing/grammer is horrible. I'm also bad in spelling too. I really don't like writting since high school. I even become short of words any time when I start writing..offcourse as you said, I need to work on that and it is a must. The funny thing is I'm a native english speaker and I have a decent score both in USMLE and COMLEX.My lowest grade since college was english. Thank you for your comment and also wondering if you have any recomendation to overcome this.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry! I accept what you said. My writing/grammer is horrible. I'm also bad in spelling too. I really don't like writting since high school. I even become short of words any time when I start writing..offcourse as you said, I need to work on that and it is a must. The funny thing is I'm a native english speaker and I have a decent score both in USMLE and COMLEX.My lowest grade since college was english. Thank you for your comment and also wondering if you have any recomendation to overcome this.

Thanks

Im not sure how far along in your 3rd year you are, but how has it been in dealing with patients? In all honesty, if you cannot communicate with patients how are you managing to do well on your rotations? Now, for the PE...practice going over cases with someone acting the part of the patient. May I ask what field you intend to pursue?

i admit, when i read your thread, i got a little nauseated by the grammar attack! lol.
but seriously, my reply would be, isn't there an SOP, standard operating prcedure amongst every patient? i know in every treatment does.. so if you are a student of your respective fields, you should know about this.. go ask your professors..

seriously dude, you need a date.. and i suppose these small articles will help you. Acne Cured Ebook Review, Acne Free in 3 Days Review and Acne No More System Book Review.. lol.