PE physical exam findings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drworm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm taking this test in two weeks and just started preparing for it. Although I do really well on standardized written exams, this test is really scaring me and I'm trying to focus my studying. So here is my question:

Is actually recognizing abnormal physical exam findings an important part of the exam? Should I spend time reviewing and getting good at recognizing and interpreting abnormal heart sounds, lung sounds, neurological exam, ect? Or is it more important to know how to go through the correct motions based on the HPI and then have a correct assesment and plan? On a similar note, are we going to be asked to interpret EKGs and CXRs? Obviously all of this stuff is important to know, but I'm going on a ton of interviews and haven't had a good clinical rotation for a couple of months so I want to know what I should focus on in the short time I have before I take the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

No it is a minor part of the exam. No CXR or ekgs. Check out the official website for the scoring explanations. Read first aid for cs and practice writing a note on the usmle wwebsoye. Also realize that first aid orders way more tests than you should on the exam. Again I really encourage you to read the official documents on the usmle website to g a better idea before you start to prepare for the test