Pediatric Orthopedics: MD or DO? Which path is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

14_karat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard conflicting and confusing ideas on this. I've also looked at a couple past threads on the whole orthopedic MD vs DO matter, but the confusion is still there.

Basically for someone like me who soon wants to go into pediatric orthopedics, which route is the better one? Not necessarily the "easier" way but the way that is more "beneficial"?

Members don't see this ad.

"Beneficial"- Both are identical. However if you want to do something highly competitive like orthopedics, try going MD.

Reactions: 5 users
We can't predict the future, though we often pretend we can. Get in where you can and do your best.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've read it seems like ortho is probably the only competitive specialty where being DO doesn't hinder you too much (given the large number of AOA ortho programs and, frankly, less competitive peers vying for a spot). That said it's really hard to make a case for DO above MD for any circumstance, assuming both are an option.

Aim for MD if you want to go into ortho. You can't get your desired fellowship/subspecialty without the residency.

If your chances for an MD program aren't that great, you should check out pm&r. It's a very DO friendly field, even at the top programs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Neither makes that much of a difference. You will be competitive as either permitting you do well in med school. Choose the path that will allow you to do best -- consider location and lifestyle factors.

Also -- I encourage every premed, as well as myself, to continue exploring as many specialties as possible. Don't sell yourself short by devoting yourself to one specialty this early, you have a LOT of time to decide. It's good to have a general idea, but at the same time it's important to proceed with an open mind. My point: Don't choose MD/DO based on what you think you want to do. Select your school that you get accepted to with the best overall residency matches and go from there. You can always make yourself more marketable for a specific residency IN medical school.

I really can't believe that some people are trying to argue that DO and MD school are equivalent in this case. I'm not saying that DOs are inferior to MDs, because they aren't. I'm not saying DO school is only for MD rejects. I am saying that it is disingenuous to imply that DO graduates are on equal footing to MD graduates when applying to competitive residencies. There is a significant portion of residency programs that don't even interview DO grads, not to mention the inherent bias that many PDs still have towards DOs.

If you want to go into orthopedics, or pediatric orthopedics, the MD route will keep more doors open for you.

I really can't believe that some people are trying to argue that DO and MD school are equivalent in this case. I'm not saying that DOs are inferior to MDs, because they aren't. I'm not saying DO school is only for MD rejects. I am saying that it is disingenuous to imply that DO graduates are on equal footing to MD graduates when applying to competitive residencies. There is a significant portion of residency programs that don't even interview DO grads, not to mention the inherent bias that many PDs still have towards DOs.

If you want to go into orthopedics, or pediatric orthopedics, the MD route will keep more doors open for you.

Well I think people are taking in to account that there are I believe at least 40 AOA orthopedic residency programs. So if you are a DO student there are plenty of opportunities to apply to orthopedic programs. I'm not sure how many ACGME orthopedic residency programs there are, but 40 on the AOA side seems like enough to have a decent shot at matching. There aren't even that many AOA ob/gyn programs.

You guys are forgetting about the merge of MD and DO residencies

You guys are forgetting about the merge of MD and DO residencies
Nope. See my first post. We can't predict what will happen, so we should be worrying about getting into the best fit schools for us as individuals, not worrying about getting a residency in a specialty we will in all likelihood not be interested by 4th year, anyway.