Pediatric ROL Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smellymd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need advice ranking the following pediatric programs. Here is my tentative rank:

1. Winthrop University Hospital
2. University at Buffalo
3. Maimonides
4. University of Toledo
5. Texas Tech El Paso
6. Brooklyn Hospital
7. Lincoln Medical
8. Richmond University

My question is Maimonides is a Primary track program. SHould i be ranking it lower than a Categorical program which is less reputable like Texas Tech El Paso or University of Toledo?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand your priorities here. Don't worry so much about 'less reputable' so much as what your goals are. Do you want to subspecialize? No matter what you end up doing you need good general peds training, and most programs will give you that. Also, which program felt more comfortable (location, people, etc)? You are most likely to succeed in an environment which you find supportive.

Reactions: 1 users
I plan on doing my fellowship. That is the priority. As far as location goes, I'm willing to go anywhere as far it is benefits my career. I just want to know whether ranking a primary track program like Maimonides is smart.

It's unlikely to affect your ability to get into a fellowship either way. But if you're set on a subspecialty, a program that puts you through a lot of outpatient and primary care settings may not be a good fit. The label is less important than whether the specific set up will be a fit for you. I worry about some places focusing so much on the subspecialty that they leave out a lot of gen peds.