Pediatrics vs ObGyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowcocopuffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some honest opinions regarding Peds (+ fellowship down the road) vs Obgyn.

I'm finishing up my 3rd year and need to decide which SubI I need to complete. And I still have this dilemma. I was initially thinking Peds all the way, until I did Obgyn and really enjoyed it. I also have a personality that meshes better with surgeons in general. But, my Step1 score is below the national average by about 10-15 points, which was discouraging to say the least.

Regarding competitiveness of residency, especially residency in either coastal areas (W, E), what is the consensus? I know obgyn is more difficult than peds, but how much more so? And what makes a strong obgyn applicant vs peds applicant?

I will be taking Step2 early and I plan to score above the national average this time.

I prefer to return to California for residency. That's where my family and SO currently reside.
It's been hard living away from them.

Not sure if I have posted in the right forum.
Move or direct me to the right one if necessary.
Lifestyle in the long run is also important. I am aware residency/ fellowship will be difficult. But what about beyond? What's the reality?
Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

What are yellow coco puffs

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Those are polar opposites. Not really. But really.

You should ask yourself if you're okay with the "surgeon hours" obgyns have to do. And the hazing. And the stress. And the torture.
On the other hand: if you like kids, kids kids. If you are okay with no procedures. If you...
Okay, I don't know. Most people I know haven't really ever asked obgyn vs peds. What about your personality makes you think obgyn is better? Did you enjoy peds? Don't focus on the competitive nature of it for now but on where you see yourself being happier.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone I know is in the exact same position. When it comes down to it, I like to narrow it down to 2 things: lifestyle, and personality. These things will affect your happiness, and ultimately validate your choice in hindsight or make you regret it. The pay might be quite a bit different, but what isn't compared to peds. Do whatever will change your personality the least in order to cope with the specialty.

One of my classmates did both a OB/GYN sub-I and a peds sub-I (yes, you have time to do both if you're undecided) and it helped them decide.

I thought I was going into IM until OB/GYN took me by surprise and I switched my 4th year schedule last minute. OP, you have time to decide, even at the beginning of 4th year. As others have mentioned, it's about what you want to be doing the rest of your life. How much do you value doing procedures/surgery? What kind of patient population do you want to work with (kids or women)? What exactly do you like about peds vs OB/GYN?

Wow. Those are polar opposites. Not really. But really.

You should ask yourself if you're okay with the "surgeon hours" obgyns have to do. And the hazing. And the stress. And the torture.
On the other hand: if you like kids, kids kids. If you are okay with no procedures. If you...
Okay, I don't know. Most people I know haven't really ever asked obgyn vs peds. What about your personality makes you think obgyn is better? Did you enjoy peds? Don't focus on the competitive nature of it for now but on where you see yourself being happier.
I thought during deliveries it was pretty simple, once the baby came out if you more wanted to go to the baby and clean them up - then you're a Peds person. If you were more interested in staying by mom once baby was whisked away then you were an OB-Gyn type.

I thought during deliveries it was pretty simple, once the baby came out if you more wanted to go to the baby and clean them up - then you're a Peds person. If you were more interested in staying by mom once baby was whisked away then you were an OB-Gyn type.

What? Clean up? Ew. No. My princesses are appearing in this world already clean and pretty and perfect. And my other half will NOT be in the room while I am having aforementioned princesses. Blargh

Reactions: 1 users
What? Clean up? Ew. No. My princesses are appearing in this world already clean and pretty and perfect. And my other half will NOT be in the room while I am having aforementioned princesses. Blargh
Well u wipe them with towels to take off the vernix when they are delivered, check Apgar scores, etc. Yeah, he's coming in after I've delivered and get my makeup done (and hair if I have time). He can sit in the waiting room. Lol.

Well u wipe them with towels to take off the vernix when they are delivered, check Apgar scores, etc. Yeah, he's coming in after I've delivered and get my makeup done (and hair if I have time). He can sit in the waiting room. Lol.

I think I love you. I refuse to let him in the room till the hair and makeup person is done with me. And then he and the photographer can come in. For pretty professional photos and all. :D :D :D

I think I love you. I refuse to let him in the room till the hair and makeup person is done with me. And then he and the photographer can come in. For pretty professional photos and all. :D :D :D
I didn't even think about professional pictures!! Yes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh dear god. Thread derailed. OB is like FedEx except they make you deliver the package while yelling at you and charging you. jk

I know obgyn is more difficult than peds, but how much more so?

First of all, choosing between pedi and OB is a common decision, despite what was written here. I talk to folks about this all the time. Second, I don't really know how you "know" this, it's highly variable. A neonatologist working 8-10 nights/month may not be having an easier lifestyle than an outpatient-only gyn doc, etc. Broad generalizations are too broad to be useful.

The fields are very different, however. You'll figure it out from the two sub-Is where you can more readily see what the two lifestyles are about.

First of all, choosing between pedi and OB is a common decision, despite what was written here. I talk to folks about this all the time. Second, I don't really know how you "know" this, it's highly variable. A neonatologist working 8-10 nights/month may not be having an easier lifestyle than an outpatient-only gyn doc, etc. Broad generalizations are too broad to be useful.

The fields are very different, however. You'll figure it out from the two sub-Is where you can more readily see what the two lifestyles are about.

Thank you for the input.

If I do go into peds, I would be looking into a neonatology fellowship actually. So does neonatology also mean a tough lifestyle?

So does neonatology also mean a tough lifestyle?

There are easier :)

It's not for those who like their beauty rest, but neither is OB. You have some control over how much call you do - many neos take only a few nights/month, but you'll likely be doing nights for a long time.

there are lots of positives though, including a decent salary.

One of my classmates did both a OB/GYN sub-I and a peds sub-I (yes, you have time to do both if you're undecided) and it helped them decide.

I thought I was going into IM until OB/GYN took me by surprise and I switched my 4th year schedule last minute. OP, you have time to decide, even at the beginning of 4th year. As others have mentioned, it's about what you want to be doing the rest of your life. How much do you value doing procedures/surgery? What kind of patient population do you want to work with (kids or women)? What exactly do you like about peds vs OB/GYN?

I really like procedures and the OR. Which is what confuses me. And if I do go into pediatrics, I would have to do something that lets you do procedures for sure.

There are easier :)

It's not for those who like their beauty rest, but neither is OB. You have some control over how much call you do - many neos take only a few nights/month, but you'll like be doing nights for a long time.

there are lots of positives though, including a decent salary.

Are you a nice person, or a raging b****?

Reactions: 1 users
I really like procedures and the OR. Which is what confuses me. And if I do go into pediatrics, I would have to do something that lets you do procedures for sure.

I really recommend doing sub-Is in both peds and OB/GYN if you can't decide. And do you think you could live without doing a procedural field? Or without ever getting to do surgery? That was one factor for me.

And OB/GYN isn't just about catchin' babies like a lot of people think... (referring to some of the earlier posts...). There's managing pregnant women before and after birth, whether that's in clinic or inpatient. Sometimes pregnant women can be hospitalized for weeks or months to monitor/treat medical issues on the antepartum unit. You have to manage both medical conditions in the mother and fetus. And let's not forget the entire field of GYN too...

But there are a lot of subspecialties within OB/GYN, so you can focus on certain areas in the field if you want to- i.e. Maternal Fetal Medicine, Gyn Onc, Urogyn, etc. Laborist is the new thing too if you just want to focus on inpatient OB. And a lot of variation of lifestyle depending on what you do.

Are you a nice person, or a raging b****?
LMAO.
I can be either.
And I'm good with getting yelled at or scolded or whatever hell that tends to break loose in the OR.
But I am inherently a nice person, if that's what you're asking.

I really recommend doing sub-Is in both peds and OB/GYN if you can't decide. And do you think you could live without doing a procedural field? Or without ever getting to do surgery? That was one factor for me.

And OB/GYN isn't just about catchin' babies like a lot of people think... (referring to some of the earlier posts...). There's managing pregnant women before and after birth, whether that's in clinic or inpatient. Sometimes pregnant women can be hospitalized for weeks or months to monitor/treat medical issues on the antepartum unit. You have to manage both medical conditions in the mother and fetus. And let's not forget the entire field of GYN too...

But there's a lot of subspecialties within OB/GYN, so you can focus on certain areas in the field if you want to- i.e. Maternal Fetal Medicine, Gyn Onc, Urogyn, etc. Laborist is the new thing too if you just want to focus on inpatient OB. And a lot of variation of lifestyle depending on what you do.

I actually like gynecological surgery/gynonc > labor and delivery (unless it requires a c/s) and I have rotated through MFM and really enjoyed that, more so than the regular L&D.

I am in such confusion and dilemma right now. :(

I actually like gynecological surgery/gynonc > labor and delivery (unless it requires a c/s) and I have rotated through MFM and really enjoyed that, more so than the regular L&D.

I am in such confusion and dilemma right now. :(

It's okay, it's not that uncommon to be undecided at this point. At least you have it narrowed down to 2 fields ;). Like I said, do both sub-Is and see how you feel about it. I really didn't decide until the last rotation of my 3rd year (and I was between ob/gyn, IM, and surgery). I know several of my classmates made their decisions later than I did.

???... I honestly haven't really come across the full blown stereotype. And I went into my 3rd year OB/GYN rotation thinking I was going to hate it... only to find out I loved it and it turned out the residents were awesome. I've never been yelled at in the OR by an OB/GYN surgeon...
What is this mystical creature who is board certified in OB-Gyn and Surgery?

Since you're going for OB-Gyn, u might not notice/or care about the stereotype.

What is this mystical creature who is board certified in OB-Gyn and Surgery?

They're called unicorns.
Also, ob is about the mother. That's true for sure. Gyn Onc I definitely enjoyed for the procedures but it's not the type of procedures I would enjoy.
Plus, stereotypes are more true in OB/GYN than anything.

They're called unicorns.
Also, ob is about the mother. That's true for sure. Gyn Onc I definitely enjoyed for the procedures but it's not the type of procedures I would enjoy.
Plus, stereotypes are more true in OB/GYN than anything.
I just didn't know if it was commonplace for OB-Gyns to refer to themselves as surgeons. Maybe it's bc they do C-sections?

Our attendings never asked us questions on anatomy unlike the surgical attendings.

I just didn't know if it was commonplace for OB-Gyns to refer to themselves as surgeons. Maybe it's bc they do C-sections?

Our attendings never asked us questions on anatomy unlike the surgical attendings.

The whole concept of giving birth freaks me out
It's also not very cute
I just want my twins, I don't want to be awake when they arrive, and I want to look pretty for the aftermath. Is that too much to ask?!

I liked the anatomy of gyn only because it showed me the lower pelvic cavity in person for the first time not involving a cadaver.
But I only liked gyn onc. I'd probably get kicked out of ob and ob/gyn because of how much I just hate ob in general. I'd basically force every patient to do c sections or tell them to go somewhere else if they want vaginal. God forbid they want natural because I'd laugh at them for hours.

And now you see why I'm so professional.

But I'll refrain from the comment about why ob/gyn thinking they're surgeons because I have no say in the matter as a medical student.

It's also not very cute
I just want my twins, I don't want to be awake when they arrive, and I want to look pretty for the aftermath. Is that too much to ask?!
I heard that u can request a C-section but not all OB-Gyns will honor that request so u should find out ahead of time. I hear ya. I want to be zonked out and then awake with them in front of me.

It's also not very cute
Yes... To an OB/GYN. They refuse to do sedation for birth. At all. Or that's what almost all of them said to me/patients.
Hence why I say go to a surgeon for birth c sections. Or a medical student

I heard that u can request a C-section but not all OB-Gyns will honor that request so u should find out ahead of time. I hear ya. I want to be zonked out and then awake with them in front of me.

I want to be asleeeeeeeeeeep for the whole thing. The epidural is like a yardstick, I don't want a yardstick in my spine thank you very much.

And anyway. @Kaustikos promised!

I liked the anatomy of gyn only because it showed me the lower pelvic cavity in person for the first time not involving a cadaver.
But I only liked gyn onc. I'd probably get kicked out of ob and ob/gyn because of how much I just hate ob in general. I'd basically force every patient to do c sections or tell them to go somewhere else if they want vaginal. God forbid they want natural because I'd laugh at them for hours.

And now you see why I'm so professional.

But I'll refrain from the comment about why ob/gyn thinking they're surgeons because I have no say in the matter as a medical student.
Yup gyn oncs makes sense. She had said she would never be yelled at by an OB-Gyn surgeon. Are general surgeons not allowed to operate in the pelvis, even when the pt. is not pregnant?

I want to be asleeeeeeeeeeep for the whole thing. The epidural is like a yardstick, I don't want a yardstick in my spine thank you very much.

And anyway. @Kaustikos promised!
Its not that bad if u think about it - its just to inject anesthetic and theyre done. Anesthesiologists are great at that stuff. God bless them.

Yup gyn oncs makes sense. She had said she would never be yelled at by an OB-Gyn surgeon. Are general surgeons not allowed to operate in the pelvis, even when the pt. is not pregnant?
No. Colorectal operates in the pelvis all the time. APRs for example.
I just a) didn't do colorectal until fourth year and b) don't find colorectal interesting at all.

I'd be find with the colorectal. But they also do anal which is like the equivalent of a garbage disposal version of a dentist. Much to respect to those that do it. Honestly. I just don't care to deal with that ****.

Also, the OP needs to realize the reality that you most likely will be yelled at and insulted by an OB/GYN in residency.
I expected it from general surgery. But what I never expected was being banned from an OR. Like... Would a resident experience that? Lol

Its not that bad if u think about it - its just to inject anesthetic and theyre done. Anesthesiologists are great at that stuff. God bless them.
Yeah. Patients literally feel nothing and they're awake the whole time.

I just a) didn't do colorectal until fourth year and b) don't find colorectal interesting at all.

I'd be find with the colorectal. But they also do anal which is like the equivalent of a garbage disposal version of a dentist. Much to respect to those that do it. Honestly. I just don't care to deal with that ****.

Also, the OP needs to realize the reality that you most likely will be yelled at and insulted by an OB/GYN in residency.
I expected it from general surgery. But what I never expected was being banned from an OR. Like... Would a resident experience that? Lol

I think you just called me a garbage disposal, baby boy.

*cue RAGE*

I think you just called me a garbage disposal, baby boy.

*cue RAGE*
Really? I said garbage disposal version of a dentist. Come on... This is me we're talking about. I don't insult people unintentionally. I'm deliberate or sarcastically subtle. Not unintentional

Sorry I guess I meant a uterus when it isn't pregnant - or if that was a turf battle OB-Gyn won on.

Would have thought operating on anal cancers were easier unless you're referring to smells.

There's also all of the gynecological surgeries.... hysterectomies (abdominal, laparoscopic, robotic, vaginal, etc), salpingectomy/oophorectomy, ovarian cystectomy, vulvectomy, etc. GynOncs do massive tumor debulking surgeries which can require bowel resections with ostomies, and other abdominal surgeries. Urogyn do urethral slings, vaginal vault suspensions, etc. To name a few.

And colorectal surgeons operate in the pelvis really only for the rectum, they don't do anything with the uterus/adnexae. I've seen colorectal collaborate with GYN in the OR when they're dealing with rectovaginal fistulas.

Last edited: