Pedo dental residencies for Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llcoolt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone please inform me about becoming a pediatric dentist for the Navy? Additionally, attending outside (as in not Navy) residencies, as the Navy does not have their own pedo residency. Is it very unlikely to be able to do a Pedo residency out of dental school? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

you have to apply against @Big Time Hoosier so you probably dont have a good chance at peds

In all seriousness Im only a first year dental student on Navy but im pretty sure the navy has little need for peds.

You can do it after your four year commitment via GI Bill.

Reactions: 2 users
Could someone please inform me about becoming a pediatric dentist for the Navy? Additionally, attending outside (as in not Navy) residencies, as the Navy does not have their own pedo residency. Is it very unlikely to be able to do a Pedo residency out of dental school? Thank you.
Very unlikely. Also, most pedos spend their careers overseas.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Getting in right out of school is not going to happen. You will need to put in a few years first. I applied right out of school and was told that my class rank and whatnot was higher than everyone else's, but I didn't even get selected as an alternate. Historically, there's around 10 people applying for a single spot. If and when you do get accepted by the Navy, it's still up to you to apply and Match to a civilian program. I heard a story from a few years ago about someone who was selected by the Navy and only applied to something like 3 programs. They didn't Match and that was the end of the road for them. As a career pediatric dentist in the Navy, I was told by the specialty leader that you should expect to spend 80-90% of your career overseas. There are few billets stateside.

My $0.02, do your payback and pursue it on your own. Like @averageasian said, you can take advantage of the GI Bill to help fund it afterwards. This is my plan. Best of luck to you!

Big Hoss

Reactions: 4 users
Getting in right out of school is not going to happen. You will need to put in a few years first. I applied right out of school and was told that my class rank and whatnot was higher than everyone else's, but I didn't even get selected as an alternate. Historically, there's around 10 people applying for a single spot. If and when you do get accepted by the Navy, it's still up to you to apply and Match to a civilian program. I heard a story from a few years ago about someone who was selected by the Navy and only applied to something like 3 programs. They didn't Match and that was the end of the road for them. As a career pediatric dentist in the Navy, I was told by the specialty leader that you should expect to spend 80-90% of your career overseas. There are few billets stateside.

My $0.02, do your payback and pursue it on your own. Like @averageasian said, you can take advantage of the GI Bill to help fund it afterwards. This is my plan. Best of luck to you!

Big Hoss
Do you know anything about doing a civilian residency and postponing payback time?

Do you know anything about doing a civilian residency and postponing payback time?
Like vellnueve said, you’re 1 of those 10 people vying for that one spot. What you’re describing is exactly what I tried to do but was not the chosen one. Needs of the Navy come first and your own professional aspirations a very, very distant second. I heard tales of someone who applied to specialty programs without Uncle Sam’s blessing, Matched, and was told by the military that’s nice but you’ll be enjoying general dentistry in the military instead. The HPSP, along with its upsides, has some big downsides.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
If it's any consolation, the AF is pretty much exactly the same. Unless you want perio, but then again, who wants perio?
Like vellnueve said, you’re 1 of those 10 people vying for that one spot. What you’re describing is exactly what I tried to do but was not the chosen one. Needs of the Navy come first and your own professional aspirations a very, very distant second. I heard tales of someone who applied to specialty programs without Uncle Sam’s blessing, Matched, and was told by the military that’s nice but you’ll be enjoying general dentistry in the military instead. The HPSP, along with its upsides, has some big downsides.

Big Hoss

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Big Hoss
Thank you! Did you end up doing a credentialing tour then?

Thank you! Did you end up doing a credentialing tour then?
I did a credentialing tour as opposed to a GPR/AEGD. If you have plans to specialize after your payback, this is the course I recommend. You will also want to make sure you go to ODS no later than July to make sure you get out in time to start a residency.

Big Hoss

Last edited: