Peds Anesthesia Salary / Benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
About to go and finalize my contract with a group in Charlotte.
My wife is a pediatric anesthesiologist and would like to know what to expect.
And if there's any negotiation involved with corporate groups.
We are really wanting to move back towards Charlotte. They've already discussed workload, locations and call schedule.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what other details there are.
She's fellowship trained.
But she'll be working at CMC doing Peds anesthesia. No cardiac.
Her hours are just before 7am up till almost 5-6pm some days. M-F.
She'll work every 7th weekend as needed, anybody 9 y/o and under will require a peds anesthesiologist.
6 weeks vacation maybe? They're going over it later this week.

It's a corporate group, southeast anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea sorry. Wide range of possibilities. Sometime people who do pedi are paid more sometimes not. You can always negotiate, it helps if you have more than one offer in that case.

Sounds like an employed position with no partnership in a relatively poorly reimbursed part of the country.
Duke starts pedi anesthesia at $220k, so I wouldn't expect more than low three. Others may differ.

It's a corporate group, southeast anesthesia.

It's actually American Anesthesia aka MedNax, or a really big corporation. I suspect there will be no negotiations. It's a job. They offer a salary. Take it or leave it.

I'd leave it or never take it in your case. Have not heard good things from guys in that market.

Go find a private group looking for a good Peds person will she'll be valued and actually keep what she earns and her value.

You've been warned.

CJ

Also they're always looking, always needing people, always posting job offers, all over gasworks, will probably have a booth at ASA like a job fair in college....the good groups don't do this.

If you have to be in NC go get an academic job at duke or wake..least be more admirable than working for someone who is gonna care zilch about you.

Any word about the other big group in Charlotte , Presbyterian Anesthesia . I believe they are still private !

Go find a private group looking for a good Peds person will she'll be valued and actually keep what she earns and her value.

The "problem" is that peds people don't actually earn much or create much value to a group financially, really just good PR for the hospital. Peds cases as a rule are not big moneymakers because of the very high percentage of medicaid. And medicaid blows. I think we collect about 10-12 cents on the dollar compared to a privately insured person.

So if you go to a private group that is eat what you kill, a peds person isn't gonna make nearly as much. Gotta go to a group that is more fair about splitting things up where the peds fellowship value to the hospital is still financially rewarding to the individual.

The "problem" is that peds people don't actually earn much or create much value to a group financially, really just good PR for the hospital. Peds cases as a rule are not big moneymakers because of the very high percentage of medicaid. And medicaid blows. I think we collect about 10-12 cents on the dollar compared to a privately insured person.

So if you go to a private group that is eat what you kill, a peds person isn't gonna make nearly as much. Gotta go to a group that is more fair about splitting things up where the peds fellowship value to the hospital is still financially rewarding to the individual.

Yes as a general rule many peds places are medicaid.

But I suspect a lot will change next year with the ACA when parents who previously put their kids on medicaid and didn't have insurance. Many kid with medicaid have parents who work but don't make enough to provide healthcare for their kids. These folks who earn like 200-250% of poverty up to 400% of poverty are going to get huge subsidies from the government and many kids are moving off the medicaid insurance and able to get private insurance.

People who make just a little and know their co pays are so low will opt for subsidies cause they will have access to more health providers over just medicaid limited network of providers for their kids.

Use the kaiser calculator. Many family of four probably aren't going to pay more than $100-200 a month for entire family with low co pays cause their premium will be capped as low as 2.5% of their AGI.

Thanks for all the info.