Peds Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtji

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two questions:

1. Are CRNA's involved in pediatric anesthesia?

2. What can you tell me about the current job market for said subspecialty?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes CRNA's do PEDI anesthesia.

I know where I am there is a rather large market for pedi anesthesiologist since they have 3 childrens hospitals and a ton of general hospitals doing PEDS.

Our local children's hospital is all fellowship trained MD. That said, peds cases are also done at other hospitals by nonfellowship trained anesthesiologists.

Market seems to be pretty good. The question is whether you want to spend an extra year as a fellow and spend your time taking care of kids.

Members don't see this ad :)
emtji said:
Two questions:

1. Are CRNA's involved in pediatric anesthesia?

2. What can you tell me about the current job market for said subspecialty?

Thanks!

I'm just finishing up a Peds Fellowship.

CRNA's can be utilized in Peds. Whether they are or not totally depends on the anesthesiology group. I'm at a tertiary care childrens hospital in an acedemic medical center that has residents, fellows, and yes, a few crna's that help get people out for pre-ops, with breaks, and on off-site cases.

I think the job market is excellent right now -- even in areas of the country where the job market is tightening up.

Both pediatric hospitals in Atlanta utilize an ACT approach with MD's, AA's, and CRNA's doing all variety of cases including hearts, heads, spines, and transplants.

jwk said:
Both pediatric hospitals in Atlanta utilize an ACT approach with MD's, AA's, and CRNA's doing all variety of cases including hearts, heads, spines, and transplants.

Insanity :eek:

The_Sensei said:

Again, it is more practitioner dependent than background/training. At my old training program, we had a CRNA who did kids almost on a daily basis. She was super slick and quick. I would prefer that she take care of my child before many of the faculty, even in a crisis. This included some big names. It doesn't matter how many books and chapters you've written and how many editorial boards you sit on if you can't start an IV in a sick/dehydrated neonate.

nimbus said:
Again, it is more practitioner dependent than background/training. At my old training program, we had a CRNA who did kids almost on a daily basis. She was super slick and quick. I would prefer that she take care of my child before many of the faculty, even in a crisis. This included some big names. It doesn't matter how many books and chapters you've written and how many editorial boards you sit on if you can't start an IV in a sick/dehydrated neonate.

What I've been talking about forever....monkey skills vs being a doctor.

nimbus said:
...books and chapters you've written and how many editorial boards you sit on.

This is being a doctor......

nimbus said:
if you can't start an IV in a sick/dehydrated neonate.

And this is monkey skills. Just in case anyone didn't know.

The_Sensei said:
This is being a doctor......

And this is monkey skills. Just in case anyone didn't know.

So are all private practice physicians who don't write book chapters and sit on editorial boards just monkeys? It would seem that's esp. true for any procedure heavy specialty like surgery and obstetrics. Personally, I have no problem with the monkey who actually can do what needs to be done.