Peds & Informatics - but need a career path change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaotemagick

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently finished peds residency in the US and now doing an ACGME fellowship in clinical informatics. However, after being in the fellowship I realize that the informatics career is not for me. Outside of work I'm also having some personal issues and overall it's shown me that I need to focus on quality of life with a reasonable work schedule.
I enjoy urgent care and I think I'd be okay with this career. I had a few questions for anyone that wants to answer:
- Can you make a living doing peds urgent care 3-4 days/week? Any advice on how to obtain these jobs?
- ls telemedicine a good option for peds urgent care? Advice on how to work remotely?
- Alternative careers with good lifestyle options - any advice on peripheral jobs like consulting, teaching, etc?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The urgent care I almost worked at offered me $180K for approx 16 shifts per month (rotating days and weekends) fresh out of residency, so yeah, you can make a living doing it.

As far as how to obtain the job--look at peds urgent cares and apply. I know Kansas City, Virginia Beach, and Houston have them because I know people who have worked in each of those locations, but I imagine most big cities with large Children's Hospital settings have them.

Can't help much with the other questions.

Hi all, I recently finished peds residency in the US and now doing an ACGME fellowship in clinical informatics. However, after being in the fellowship I realize that the informatics career is not for me. Outside of work I'm also having some personal issues and overall it's shown me that I need to focus on quality of life with a reasonable work schedule.
I enjoy urgent care and I think I'd be okay with this career. I had a few questions for anyone that wants to answer:
- Can you make a living doing peds urgent care 3-4 days/week? Any advice on how to obtain these jobs?
- ls telemedicine a good option for peds urgent care? Advice on how to work remotely?
- Alternative careers with good lifestyle options - any advice on peripheral jobs like consulting, teaching, etc?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
-You could make a living as an urgent care physician. Many larger Children's Hospitals have just that either through the General Medicine, Hospitalist or Emergency Medicine tracks.
-Telemedicine is not a urgent care specialty, but urgent care isn't a specialty. Why pay you to telemedicine when they can hire a PA for cheaper and prescribe antibiotics?
-If you don't like seeing patients in a clinic or hospital or really much anywhere, use your degree for something else to get your foot in the door. The most common thing I could think of would be medical writing or working for a device/pharmaceutical company. Consulting and teaching aren't real professions you can branch into from pediatrics. There is also Uber for Pediatrics.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.deb957bed51c.
The person in the story was a co-fellow of mine years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
The urgent care I almost worked at offered me $180K for approx 16 shifts per month (rotating days and weekends) fresh out of residency, so yeah, you can make a living doing it.

As far as how to obtain the job--look at peds urgent cares and apply. I know Kansas City, Virginia Beach, and Houston have them because I know people who have worked in each of those locations, but I imagine most big cities with large Children's Hospital settings have them.

Can't help much with the other questions.
My god, that's what they're paying you urgent care folks?! If you can stomach it, maybe do a PEM fellowship then work in community practice. PEM people are paid pretty well.

Typical telemedicine companies don’t pay much and it’s more of a side hustle. Were you looking to not do clinical medicine before you did the informatics fellowship? I’d so why do you now want to be more clinical now? Try to evaluate your long term goals and that will guide your career. Why not find a non clinical path like administration?