Peds Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pugsly

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi

has anyone used Pediatrics for Medical Students by Lippincott....any opinions on this book or recommendations for other better books for 3rd year peds rotation would be appreciated. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I did buy the Pediatrics for Medical Students becaue I thought, hey I'm a medical student, and I'm interested in going into pediatrics, and I read it about half way through in basic science years. I have used several other Pediatrics texts, and believe that this textbook has little, if any use, to the average medical student, especially one entering Peds Clerkship in a couple weeks. Point is that the top books I have seen students use are:

1. First Aid for Pediatrics Clerkship
2. Blueprints Pediatrics (don't have experience with, IMHO only good blueprints is ob/gyn)
3. NMS Pediatrics
4. Lange Pediatric Case Files (tear out a couple case files for downtime on clerkship, discretely hide in pocket)
5. Boards and Wards, Pediatric section

These books are specifically written so that you maximize your time when *first* learning pediatrics. I most liked First Aid for Pediatrics Clerkship, Case Files, and Pediatrics Section of Boards and Wards, if you can read this before and within the first week of Peds rotation you are sitting pretty knowledge wise. NMS Pediatrics is good after you have already read First Aid twice, and want to do well on a shelf or step examination. The book you asked about, Pediatrics for Medical Students, is not used by alot of students, and containts some explanations that are too commentary laiden for med students, and misses some important stuff. After you have mastered this stuff, or if you want to buy as a reference, I would recommend:

1. Lange, Current Pediatric Diagnoses and Treatment
2. Nelson's Pediatrics (I did not care for the font or style)
3. Literature, & Emedicine (great for researching patients, which you should do)
4. Specialty Peds books, i.e. Gamella for Neonatology Sub-I
5. Harriet-Lane - very good for newborn nursery on General Peds clerkship!
6. USMLEworld, get a year or more subscription, do Peds questions 2-3 night during clerkship & after

I don't believe that Pediatrics for Medical Students has a niche yet, it is too wordy for begining students, and not advanced/detailed for thos who want more 1/2 through or after Peds Clerkship. . .

Any other suggestions for peds? I read the sticky about books for peds and the general consensus there was: Blueprints, Case Files, and PreTest. Is it going a little overboard to buy three books though?

I think you will do fine with the last two. If you insist on a third book consider getting another question source like qbook or A&L.