1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

peer rec

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Madhatter, Sep 30, 2004.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Madhatter

Madhatter Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Aug 20, 2003
    hey! does anyone have any ideas on how to begin a peer rec??? i can't seem to think of anything to write....

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted" Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2000
    sodom, south georgia
    A peer rec?

Unless the school you're writing it for specifically requires a "peer rec," I would advise whomever you're writing for to find a better LOR source.

4. Madhatter

Aug 20, 2003
    UF requires a peer rec, does anyone know of any other schools??

5. phleebie

phleebie $26 in my hand. 7+ Year Member

Sep 10, 2004
    a peer rec? what a joke!

6. synapse lapse

synapse lapse tokyo robotic 10+ Year Member

Mar 14, 2003
    future
    I think that you should siply list your interactions with that person and highlight their good qualities. I imagine ya'll are good friends, so that should be easy. Just list their good attributes like integrity, compassion, etc....

7. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic Lifetime Donor 10+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Florida
    Physician
    Air Force
    Florida State requires one, too.

8. Fusion

Fusion Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2004
    As does University of South Florida...so I guess all the state schools in FL ask for a peer rec.

9. Madhatter

Aug 20, 2003
    WHAT??!! I didn't know FSU and USF required peer recs!!!! can anyone give me more info on this??

10. dandelion

dandelion Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 4, 2004

Yup, UF, FSU, USF all require peer recs. Actually, USF requires "two personal letters of character recommendation" from "your family physician, close friend, a neighbor, alumni, or a person who can attest to your interest in Medicine." I'm using the same peer rec for all three schools, & I'm hoping that my volunteer rec will fit into USF's "a person who can attest to your interest in Medicine" category & count as a second letter.

11. queeneleanor77

queeneleanor77 Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I had my best friend that I've known since ninth grade write my peer rec for UF. She wrote about how I've always been interested in medicine and what I did in high school (and since then) to make progress toward that goal. She mentioned personal qualities about me and how they would contribute toward a career in medicine, etc. It was a really nice letter. For USF, I had my boss and a doctor I shadowed write letters - I didn't get to read those so I don't know what they said. I think that anyone who doesn't know you in the classroom setting can only talk about personal qualities that you have that would make you a good physician or skills that are transferable to medicine. Hope that helps.