peer rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madhatter

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey! does anyone have any ideas on how to begin a peer rec??? i can't seem to think of anything to write....

Members don't see this ad.

A peer rec?

Unless the school you're writing it for specifically requires a "peer rec," I would advise whomever you're writing for to find a better LOR source.

UF requires a peer rec, does anyone know of any other schools??

Members don't see this ad :)
a peer rec? what a joke!

I think that you should siply list your interactions with that person and highlight their good qualities. I imagine ya'll are good friends, so that should be easy. Just list their good attributes like integrity, compassion, etc....

deuist said:
Florida State requires one, too.

As does University of South Florida...so I guess all the state schools in FL ask for a peer rec.

WHAT??!! I didn't know FSU and USF required peer recs!!!! can anyone give me more info on this??

Madhatter said:
WHAT??!! I didn't know FSU and USF required peer recs!!!! can anyone give me more info on this??

Yup, UF, FSU, USF all require peer recs. Actually, USF requires "two personal letters of character recommendation" from "your family physician, close friend, a neighbor, alumni, or a person who can attest to your interest in Medicine." I'm using the same peer rec for all three schools, & I'm hoping that my volunteer rec will fit into USF's "a person who can attest to your interest in Medicine" category & count as a second letter.

I had my best friend that I've known since ninth grade write my peer rec for UF. She wrote about how I've always been interested in medicine and what I did in high school (and since then) to make progress toward that goal. She mentioned personal qualities about me and how they would contribute toward a career in medicine, etc. It was a really nice letter. For USF, I had my boss and a doctor I shadowed write letters - I didn't get to read those so I don't know what they said. I think that anyone who doesn't know you in the classroom setting can only talk about personal qualities that you have that would make you a good physician or skills that are transferable to medicine. Hope that helps.