Pen Specification (For Writing Sample)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adiddas125

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the spec's for the type of pen/colour you can use for the MCAT are???

Members don't see this ad.

I was told that you just need a black pen. I don't think it matters too much what type of pen you use.

I've been wondering about this actually. What if someone doesn't read the instructions and ends up using a dark blue pen?

Mister Pie said:
I've been wondering about this actually. What if someone doesn't read the instructions and ends up using a dark blue pen?

Hey all,

I read the PRACTICE TEST 8 materials section (page 2)...

You need a black ball point ink pen.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think one time I took a handful of pens and grabbed one and started writing with it. After a few sentences I felt really sick when I realized it was dark blue. :eek:

I got an R on the section. I don't think it made a difference. They just want you to use something that's dark enough to see.

But I wouldn't recommend using anything other than the black ball point pen. :D

Do you think one of those roller-ball pens with the smooth, runny ink is okay as a "black ball-point pen," or do we have to use those scratchy, dry bic stics?

NapeSpikes said:
Do you think one of those roller-ball pens with the smooth, runny ink is okay as a "black ball-point pen," or do we have to use those scratchy, dry bic stics?

i like those too but they bleed through the paper you'll write your essay on, i know from experience :oops:

didnt make a difference, i still scored well but who needs another thing to worry about on test day? just go with the black ballpoint.

Ok don't laught at me. Can we use an erasable pen? my hand writing is horrendous and I often make errors.

I think it should be ok as long as its black and its a ball point pen. And its also ok if you cross stuff out when you make mistakes.

During the MCAt last year, the invigilator did not allow someone to write in a gel-ink black pen because "it was against the rules". We had to wait until someone could provide him with a ballpoint...at which point a couple other students realized that they had black gel ink as well...lol

It's best to just stick with the "ball-point black pen"....

Don't make things more complicated than they have to be kids....just bring a couple of black ballpoints and that's it. The cheap bic ones are perfect, those are the ones I use. :)