Penn Plaza Prometric, NY: Unsealed Earplugs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ReadyToRumble

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone taking a test at Penn Plaza Prometric in NYC? I called the other day to ask if I could bring in earplugs, they said it was fine. I asked if they should be sealed. The lady replied as if I was crazy for asking and that no, they didn't have to be sealed. Can anyone verify that they haven't had a problem before at this center (I'll be in suite 1540)? MCAT Essentials says they have to be sealed but each place enforces whatever rules they want. I'm just afraid that a different person will be there and say no to loose earplugs. I have a ton of earplugs because I got a bulk pack but if I have to I guess I'll buy a sealed set. Test is tomorrow, thanks for any responses.
 
Has anyone taking a test at Penn Plaza Prometric in NYC? I called the other day to ask if I could bring in earplugs, they said it was fine. I asked if they should be sealed. The lady replied as if I was crazy for asking and that no, they didn't have to be sealed. Can anyone verify that they haven't had a problem before at this center (I'll be in suite 1540)? MCAT Essentials says they have to be sealed but each place enforces whatever rules they want. I'm just afraid that a different person will be there and say no to loose earplugs. I have a ton of earplugs because I got a bulk pack but if I have to I guess I'll buy a sealed set. Test is tomorrow, thanks for any responses.

Better to be safe. Just spend the $2 and buy a new one that is individually packaged.
 
I took it there last month, actually. Checking in and out was comparable to being on a military compound, haha. Nonetheless, my suggestion is that you make sure they are sealed. Additionally, they have noise-cancelling headphones at the site which do the job quite well.
 
I did not take it at this specific location.

My earplugs were sealed because I didn't want to take chances, but they also had me "squeeze the earplugs" -- probably to check that there was not an electronic device in there.

I am just adding this because if your are not sealed, I think they have other ways to check to make sure nothing fishy is going on.