PENN-STATE BRANDYWINE POSTBACC PROGRAM - anyone complete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmcintosh

NonTraditional Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of anyone who has completed or CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN the PENN-STATE BRANDYWINE POSTBACC PROGRAM? If so what was/is their/ your experience and how would you rate the program?:;)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks I am looking for any new completions. The previous responses were from 2008. The program is only 2 years old and I am trying to identify students that have recently completed or are currently enrolled in the program. Wanted to get a fresh idea of what they think now that it has been 2 years. I am looking into this program because it is perfect for my schedule.

thanks again
M

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed the program last year. It was fantastic. The teachers were great, they really helped you get through the program and wanted you to succeed. The class is small, so you'll really get to know your teachers, and you'll have the same teachers throughout the year, so they'll get to know you too. The exams are fair, and I think they prepare you really well for the MCAT.

Are there any specific questions you have?

I completed the program last year. It was fantastic. The teachers were great, they really helped you get through the program and wanted you to succeed. The class is small, so you'll really get to know your teachers, and you'll have the same teachers throughout the year, so they'll get to know you too. The exams are fair, and I think they prepare you really well for the MCAT.

Are there any specific questions you have?
Thanks so much for your feedback. I am interested in the program. Is it okay to PM you
with specific questions?

Posting them here would be better, so other people can see them. Do you mind if I answer them here?

Posting them here would be better, so other people can see them. Do you mind if I answer them here?
Ok here they are:
- How long did it take you to complete the program?
- Do you suggest the one or two year option

- how challenging are the courses
- how thorough or effetive is the online delivery, i.e. - youtube, powerpoint, blackboard software, etc.
- are there any study groups?
- did it prove to be more convenient than on-site courses and are the instructors accessible?
- Have you applied to med school or know of anyone that has applied and got accepted?
- Do the classes report as "online classes" on the transcript?
- Finally, would you recommend the program as a good option to "DIY" pre-reqs. some people will do it themselves to save money as opposed to the formal postbacc option. I say if they can provide guidance for the app process and MCAT prep then it is worth it.

OK:

1. How long did it take you to complete the program? About one year.
  2. Do you suggest the one or two year option? That depends on how much time you can devote to it. The advantage of one year option is obviously you are done faster, but if you have a lot of things going on in your life, it may be better to consider the two year option. I did the one year option, and it was hectic, but I am glad I did it this way. And I got through it fine, as did most people.
  3. How challenging are the courses? The courses are the courses - they are going to be challenging. There are no two ways about it. Whether you're learning Physiology or Organic Chemistry, the material is what it is. The faculty go the extra mile to help, but it's about devoting the time to it. If you've never taken sciences before, you might be surprised at the amount of work.
  4. How thorough or effetive is the online delivery, i.e. - youtube, powerpoint, blackboard software, etc.? The lectures are pre-recorded, and are also available in iTunes. So you can listen to them anytime, though it might be better to be at a computer if you want to watch the accompanying video. The good thing is that it is always available to you, so you can watch it anytime (e.g, to prepare for an exam). The online meetings are nice and done through a meeting software where you can talk to the professor, and they can share a whiteboard where they can type/show slides, etc.
  5. Are there any study groups? There are if you form them :). I formed a study group with a couple other student where we met multiple times a week, and it lasted through the entire year. We all got along with each other, so it wasn't a problem. Everyone is an adult, so you get a mature group that is more focused than you would in a traditional undergrad course.
  6. Did it prove to be more convenient than on-site courses and are the instructors accessible? Yes, it was more convenient than on site courses - most definitely. And you'll get to know your instructors a lot better than you would in a 30-120 man lecture hall. You are free to go see them for additional help if you need it, and you'll be seeing them every week in the online meetings, for labs/exams onsite, and be in constant communication with them most likely throughout the semester.
  7. Have you applied to med school or know of anyone that has applied and got accepted? I took a year off due to some family issues. My MCAT is in may, and I will be applying this year. I know two people who applied this year, and both will be going to med school somewhere. There were other students who were doing it for other programs (PA, etc), so medical school application does not apply to them. Considering how well you know the faculty, I'd much rather graduate from this program and have a committee letter from them than most other undergrads.
  8. Do the classes report as "online classes" on the transcript? No.
  9. Finally, would you recommend the program as a good option to "DIY" pre-reqs. some people will do it themselves to save money as opposed to the formal postbacc option. I say if they can provide guidance for the app process and MCAT prep then it is worth it. Depends on you. The cost of the program isn't that much comparatively, and the extra benefit you get from a coordinated program designed specifically for your goals is well worth the effort. You get to be in an environment where everyone shares your goals, you get a schedule designed for people who work, etc. I am certainly happy I chose this route.

OK:

1. How long did it take you to complete the program? About one year.
  2. Do you suggest the one or two year option? That depends on how much time you can devote to it. The advantage of one year option is obviously you are done faster, but if you have a lot of things going on in your life, it may be better to consider the two year option. I did the one year option, and it was hectic, but I am glad I did it this way. And I got through it fine, as did most people.
  3. How challenging are the courses? The courses are the courses - they are going to be challenging. There are no two ways about it. Whether you're learning Physiology or Organic Chemistry, the material is what it is. The faculty go the extra mile to help, but it's about devoting the time to it. If you've never taken sciences before, you might be surprised at the amount of work.
  4. How thorough or effetive is the online delivery, i.e. - youtube, powerpoint, blackboard software, etc.? The lectures are pre-recorded, and are also available in iTunes. So you can listen to them anytime, though it might be better to be at a computer if you want to watch the accompanying video. The good thing is that it is always available to you, so you can watch it anytime (e.g, to prepare for an exam). The online meetings are nice and done through a meeting software where you can talk to the professor, and they can share a whiteboard where they can type/show slides, etc.
  5. Are there any study groups? There are if you form them :). I formed a study group with a couple other student where we met multiple times a week, and it lasted through the entire year. We all got along with each other, so it wasn't a problem. Everyone is an adult, so you get a mature group that is more focused than you would in a traditional undergrad course.
  6. Did it prove to be more convenient than on-site courses and are the instructors accessible? Yes, it was more convenient than on site courses - most definitely. And you'll get to know your instructors a lot better than you would in a 30-120 man lecture hall. You are free to go see them for additional help if you need it, and you'll be seeing them every week in the online meetings, for labs/exams onsite, and be in constant communication with them most likely throughout the semester.
  7. Have you applied to med school or know of anyone that has applied and got accepted? I took a year off due to some family issues. My MCAT is in may, and I will be applying this year. I know two people who applied this year, and both will be going to med school somewhere. There were other students who were doing it for other programs (PA, etc), so medical school application does not apply to them. Considering how well you know the faculty, I'd much rather graduate from this program and have a committee letter from them than most other undergrads.
  8. Do the classes report as "online classes" on the transcript? No.
  9. Finally, would you recommend the program as a good option to "DIY" pre-reqs. some people will do it themselves to save money as opposed to the formal postbacc option. I say if they can provide guidance for the app process and MCAT prep then it is worth it. Depends on you. The cost of the program isn't that much comparatively, and the extra benefit you get from a coordinated program designed specifically for your goals is well worth the effort. You get to be in an environment where everyone shares your goals, you get a schedule designed for people who work, etc. I am certainly happy I chose this route.
THANKS SOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION..You are the best!!! I am definitely interested in this program because of the flexibility and the targeted pre-req approach. Glad to hear positive feedback also even though it is a new program that is only a few years old.

Ok here they are:
- How long did it take you to complete the program?
- Do you suggest the one or two year option
- how challenging are the courses
- how thorough or effetive is the online delivery, i.e. - youtube, powerpoint, blackboard software, etc.
- are there any study groups?
- did it prove to be more convenient than on-site courses and are the instructors accessible?
- Have you applied to med school or know of anyone that has applied and got accepted?
- Do the classes report as "online classes" on the transcript?
- Finally, would you recommend the program as a good option to "DIY" pre-reqs. some people will do it themselves to save money as opposed to the formal postbacc option. I say if they can provide guidance for the app process and MCAT prep then it is worth it.

Hi there- I just finished the program (as a pre-PA) student. Don't know your personal situation, but mine required the 2-year option (although modified somewhat to fit the pre-PA aspect). I have 3 kids and a busy job and this program allowed me to continue to pay attention to those roles while preparing for a future career shift. Be prepared to work! The program support is very good, the profs are excellent and interested in ensuring your success. Despite the fact that the program is relatively new, most of the glitches have been worked out with the technology used to support the program. Bottom line for me was that the 2-year option breaks out some of the courses in a fixed sequence and may help you keep your sanity if you have other commitments. I do know of one other student who was a pre-PA and is now enrolled in PA school.

Hi there- I just finished the program (as a pre-PA) student. Don't know your personal situation, but mine required the 2-year option (although modified somewhat to fit the pre-PA aspect). I have 3 kids and a busy job and this program allowed me to continue to pay attention to those roles while preparing for a future career shift. Be prepared to work! The program support is very good, the profs are excellent and interested in ensuring your success. Despite the fact that the program is relatively new, most of the glitches have been worked out with the technology used to support the program. Bottom line for me was that the 2-year option breaks out some of the courses in a fixed sequence and may help you keep your sanity if you have other commitments. I do know of one other student who was a pre-PA and is now enrolled in PA school.
Thanks for the awesome feedback everybody!!!!!!!!!!! I am a very busy mom with a 4year old who will be in kindergarten at that time and a husband. I am definitely a non-trad in the truest aspect of the word and this program sounds perfect for me. I'm also looking at a few med schools in the phili area. Do you know of anyone who has applied to PA or MD programs there after completion of the program?

Thanks again.....

Were you able to get financial aid for the two year option? I'm told that it is not eligible because it is not considered full time. I really need to be able to get financial aid. The 2 year option is the most attractive because I would rather do well as opposed to just doing all the classes at once. NEED TO KEEP MY SANITY ALSO...

Were you able to get financial aid for the two year option? I'm told that it is not eligible because it is not considered full time. I really need to be able to get financial aid. The 2 year option is the most attractive because I would rather do well as opposed to just doing all the classes at once. NEED TO KEEP MY SANITY ALSO...

I didn't get any aid but I believe you would be eligible. I'd suggest you contact Sue Currie with the program who will be able to get you answers.

Staggering the courses was very helpful to me because of some personal circumstances, including work, caring for parents, 3 young kids, etc. You'll lose weekend time and will need to be in a constant state of preparation for exams and labs. It's not easy but it is geared for your situation.

Thanks for the awesome feedback everybody!!!!!!!!!!! I am a very busy mom with a 4year old who will be in kindergarten at that time and a husband. I am definitely a non-trad in the truest aspect of the word and this program sounds perfect for me. I'm also looking at a few med schools in the phili area. Do you know of anyone who has applied to PA or MD programs there after completion of the program?

Thanks again.....

There are a few students from the first cohort (the one I started with) who applied successfully I believe. Not sure where. Also one pre-PA who was accepted to one of the many PA progarms in the Phila area. I am planning on applying for the 2011 cycle.

There are a few students from the first cohort (the one I started with) who applied successfully I believe. Not sure where. Also one pre-PA who was accepted to one of the many PA progarms in the Phila area. I am planning on applying for the 2011 cycle.
BEST WISHES TO YOU..... i did speak to Sue she confirmed. I will still find a way to get support for the program. thanks again for your answers....im a wife, mother of a 4yr old and student.... i need the aid and support. God will make it will all come together for me.