Penn State or MSU CHM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zen-yatta5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Just got off the waitlist and now have Two options! :)
Which school is better? Would love to get everyone’s opinion

Location doesn’t bother me at either program

also Penn State is unranked and MSU CHM is considered low tier. Interested in somewhat competitive specialties.

I have to decide in 3 days so any insight would help :)
Thank you!

Edit:

PENN STATE:

PROS:
LOVED my interview with faculty (2 ortho docs) and I was even told to call them when I get accepted to discuss possibly working together on research!

research! Much more is being done here. Easy to access PIs.

easy to setup shadowing.

lots of support I’ve heard from faculty. All teachers have been vetted by students before us.

Seems like a better program (match and step scores)

Previous years many more individuals matched to California (where I would like to match)

Save $$$ on tuition since OOS

lectures are not mandatory

CONS:
talked with students and they were really apathetic about PSU which makes me feel weird about the program

past years match list: surprisingly a lot of students matched to penn state which is concerning or a really good thing (Stockholm’s syndrome anyone?)

no housing secured yet :/

PBL is mandatory

I don’t see too many cons here otherwise and I’m hoping y’all can provide me with some more cons

MSU CHM

PROS:
Also Loved my interview and generally all the people I met. Majority had a good vibe about them.

Faculty seemed to care about student success.

Students seem calm/not stressed out about tests - not too many tests Per year?

students have matched in CA

already have apartment

CONS:

Min 25 hours of mandatory class time

$$$. Way more expensive for me as OOS (~$39k difference) feels significant.

Limited research. Hear the process to get research is structured and I would have to ask the research office if I could join a lab (and might get in trouble if I asked the PI directly). Hate the middle man

Students have matched in CA but mainly primary care. Dont want any doors closed on me.

Lastly, there was a super douchey student who walked us through the campus virtually. Basically claimed he was a god and got into other top tier programs but chose MSU for some reason. 🤔 arrogance does not loook good people.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on getting off the WL! My vote is PSU. The biggest factor here is cost. I think PSU would provide you more opportunities and far less loan burden. You'll thank yourself in 10yrs for saving that money (plus INTEREST!). And it sounds like an overall better educational experience. MSU is more focused on Midwest/Michigan and rural medicine. I imagine PSU provides more opportunities to return to CA.