Penn State Question

Started by JETER
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JETER

Super Educated, I'm Smarter than Spock
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking on the NIGMS website, it appears that they no longer list Penn State as an MSTP program. Is this a flaw, or did they lose their NIH recognition? Anyone know? Thanks
 
Was Penn State ever an MSTP program? I didn't know that...I thought UPenn was the major MSTP program in PA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AndyMilonakis said:
Was Penn State ever an MSTP program? I didn't know that...I thought UPenn was the major MSTP program in PA.

As far as I know, it was. On their website, it mentioned MSTP status and NIH funding. I was wondering because on the NIGMS website, it was listed as a MST program until the last month. I would still like to work in their Ortho lab, regardless though.
 
AndyMilonakis said:
Was Penn State ever an MSTP program? I didn't know that...I thought UPenn was the major MSTP program in PA.

If memory serves me, when I applied they were getting funding for one student, and I'm not even sure if that was per year. I think the program is something like 6 students/year. I've always personally wondered how such a small program was getting MSTP funding when larger programs and research institutions were always trying to get it--like UMaryland or Jefferson in this area.