penn state revisit weekend/plea to accepted students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dukee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone going or has gone yet? I wish to ask if you have been accepted the penn state and not going for sure, could you post up here. It is my first choice and perhaps my only choice. I am waitlisted, or on hold, and really would like to get in!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi dukee,

I just got back from the Penn State revist day. There I talked to about 5 people who said that they were still deciding among many other schools. 3 of those people admitted that they definitely wouldn't attend Penn if they were admitted to their top choice (they were waitlisted at other schools). It really sounds like there will be spots opening up as soon as May 15 rolls around. Don't give up!! I hope to see you at Penn St in August and will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Rezul

hey thanks R. You sound very nice and seem very compassionate person. I would love to get off the waitlist. I wrote a letter to the admissions office. did you meet dean davis? Does he sound approachable? did they say any inside info, like if their class if filled or they expect to take people off their waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not go to the second look weekend, but I met Dean Davis when I did my interview. He seems very approachable. Good luck; hope to see you in August.

Rezul, how is the apartment hunt going? I have been meaning to send you a PM, but it looks like that feature has not been working well.

Hi again Dukee,
Thank you for the compliment. I'm sure you have the determination and ability to be an excellent doctor. You've come so far already. All you need now is just a little help from luck.
Dr. Davis' philosophy about teaching was one of the most important reasons I chose Penn St. I came from an undergrad institution where many of the professors/deans thrived on intimidating students. For medical school I wanted to avoid that. Dr. Davis seems to wholeheartedly believe in the concept of community being a family. Judging from how I saw him interact with students at the revisit day, it seems like he genuinely cares. He is most definitely approachable. When you sent a letter to Penn, did you address it to him directly?
I'm sorry I don't have much information about the status of acceptances. Nothing was mentioned about how many people were on the waitlist or how many people typically were accepted from it. The only thing that was mentioned was that the class was 126 students. Now I don't remember if Dr. Davis meant that a class has typically that number or if that is how many students are currently accepted for the class of 2006. Honestly, I only spoke to one other student who was definite about coming to Penn State. There have got to be many spots opening as soon as people withdraw.
Keep me updated and if you want to talk about anything else, feel free to PM me (if this function actually works. I've had problems with PMing lately) I'll be cheering for you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi ewells,
How is everything on your end? I too have been having trouble with PMing. As for apartments, I've decided with on-campus housing. During this past weekend I managed to see a 2 bedroom apartment and really liked it. Also I heard its easier to meet the rest of the class by living on-campus. Have you got your apartment plans all set?
If you want any details on the second look day feel free to ask. In all it was worthwhile and made me feel confident in my choice of med schools.
Good luck with the rest of your school year and hope to hear from you.

Rezul

thanks for the all info, R. This really helped. I will keep you posted...!

Hello Rezul! (This is the wife of ewells) I look forward to meeting you in August. We have also decided to go with campus housing. Any specifics you can offer about the 2 bedrooms? (Size, storage, kitchen amenities....) Also, did they say anything about availability? I'm wondering if any students are out of luck in August due to lack of space. Thanks for any (more) info you can provide...(I'm going crazy since this is a "blind" move for me!) :confused:
Thank You!

I am not accepted yet to penn state, but I did get a chance to see the apartments. They are very nice and comfortable. Quiet, carpeted, and lots of space. The building is very close to the main campus. I am waitlisted, so maybe I will get in. From what I gather, the list is unranked, and when spaces open up, Dean Davis will choose who he wants to accept...