Penn State vs Albany

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoGoPandaBot

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there really any comparison of these two rural schools? I'm leaning heavily toward Penn State, but would be interested to hear any thoughts about the matchup. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i would go with penn state.
i dunno anything about albany though.

when did you find out you got in to albany?

Members don't see this ad :)
Having lived in albany during my childhood I can tell you this...Dont live in Albany! Talk about a depressing place to live, and its one of, if not THE, most expensive medical school in the country. Id go to the land of the kisses. Good luck

Is there really any comparison of these two rural schools? I'm leaning heavily toward Penn State, but would be interested to hear any thoughts about the matchup. Thanks!

this thread is insulting to people who go to penn state. :cool:

I think you could tell though, from my OP, that I didn't really think there was much of a choice. In terms of the area, Ive been to Albany - had a friend who did a law clerkship there. Pretty sad place. But I was really only concerned with the quality of medical education, and how it looks to residency programs to come out of one school or the other.

I think you could tell though, from my OP, that I didn't really think there was much of a choice. In terms of the area, Ive been to Albany - had a friend who did a law clerkship there. Pretty sad place. But I was really only concerned with the quality of medical education, and how it looks to residency programs to come out of one school or the other.

fair enough. go to penn state

GoGoPandabot, we interviewed together at Albany. I also was accepted.

I know nothing of penn state, but I did like albany.

Am I reading the sarcasm correctly, that Penn St. blows Albany out of the water? There really is no comparison in my book, just hoping that was what everyone's sarcasm was hinting at.

Having done my residency at Penn State I will say the following...

the facilities are beautiful

the facilities are expanding (new Children's hospital and Cancer Center being built)

it is a safe area

while compared to living in a large city, it may seem rural, but is actually suburban. The state capital is 10 miles away, Baltimore and Philly 1.5 hrs, and there is plenty to do in the area.

because it is suburban, you would likely need a car, especially if you do a rotation at the VA (although you could probably get out of it if you didn't have a car)

the medical students say they're happy and seem happy

students say they are happy with the broad based education

the residency match is very good for students, even for competitive specialties

and your avatar is that of a complete dork.

lol. I guess so my friend. but it seems like I am not alone in suggesting what I did ;). I didnt mean to insult albany. but their reputation on SDN is not a good one. their match lists are still all right...so I bet their school is pretty good too....but if you have a choice go to penn state, it seems ppl who end up at albany are ppl who have no other option.

Just wanted to throw this out there:

Albany was founded in 1839 (I think) and has had almost 2 centuries to build a reputation. Penn State was founded in 1967 (I think) and in that much less time has built a better reputation than Albany, from what I can tell anyway. I would guess that this can be attributed to the fact that Penn State is Penn State, and being affiliated with the undergrad, which does have a lot of trandition and power, can really help the cause.

Anyway, based on my experiences with PSU and my interview, I would say that school is without a doubt going nowhere but up, especially with the new expansion coming up. I don't know if you can say the same for Albany.

Albany has worked hard for 2 centuries to build a crappy reputation