Penn State vs Robert Wood

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetpeamd09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, I have been accepted to both of these schools (still waiting to hear from AE, BU, Cornell-where I interviewed--I'm giving up on the others I haven't heard from, it's March already!). I withdrew my app. to NJ Med. (post-interview) after I heard from Penn State and Robert Wood.

Robert Wood is in my home state (NJ) and has a lot of advantages and I see growth there (progress is good...). But, I really liked Penn State, the sim. lab. was awesome, liked the people (admin. and students)...please offer me your opinion. Many thanks!

Also, if you have any opinions on the other three that would be lovely too.

Members don't see this ad.

virtually all medical schools are the same, and whatever impression you got on an interview visit cannot encompass everything about the school. there's no reason to go with Penn State when you've gotten into RWJ - it's not worth the increased debt. as for AE, BU, and Cornell, Cornell is the only school worth the increased debt burden over RWJ. good luck, and try to enjoy the next few months.

I'd have to agree with doc05, it's not worth the extra debt to go out of state if you got into an in-state school. I currently attend Penn State and all the out-of-staters constantly tell me how lucky i am not to have to pay the out of state tuition. Your talking about ~$40,000+ interest (which our financial aid advisor keeps telling us is going to go up for the next couple of years) which isn't chump change. Oh, and that simulation lab you saw, you won't see that till second year and for only 1 hour for a demonstration of pneumothorax and a swan-gantz (sp) catheterization. THAT'S IT! the best part about this school would have to be friendliness of the students and how easily accessable teachers and researchers are. I heard from upperclassmen that the clinical years are the real strength of this school, but still, $40000!!!!!! Hope this helps

dr.zeus said:
I'd have to agree with doc05, it's not worth the extra debt to go out of state if you got into an in-state school. I currently attend Penn State and all the out-of-staters constantly tell me how lucky i am not to have to pay the out of state tuition. Your talking about ~$40,000+ interest (which our financial aid advisor keeps telling us is going to go up for the next couple of years) which isn't chump change. Oh, and that simulation lab you saw, you won't see that till second year and for only 1 hour for a demonstration of pneumothorax and a swan-gantz (sp) catheterization. THAT'S IT! the best part about this school would have to be friendliness of the students and how easily accessable teachers and researchers are. I heard from upperclassmen that the clinical years are the real strength of this school, but still, $40000!!!!!! Hope this helps

Dr. Zeus-

As a current Penn State student, how do you enjoy the social atmosphere in terms of going out? Do you know where I can get a list of the 2004 residency match? Where are you allowed to do your clerkships, only in Pennsylvania? I'm from CA, can I do them there?