Penn vs. Roseman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tydomoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Penn since cost is the same and you're set on omfs. Finding mentors is huge and you'll want good LORs, so going to an institution with a program is beneficial for you. It helps to go to a school with a good track record of matching and history of people doing well on the cbse.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What makes you think I'm trolling?

But I didn't know they got rid of that. What is the system they use currently?
You said you really want to do OMFS, and although I'm sure Roseman is a great school, these 2 schools are not on the same level in terms of specializing. Which program has a track record for sending people in OS? What are the research opportunities like? Which program will provide you with the stronger basic sciences to help build a foundation for the cbse? Connections are equally as important, so which school has the more well connected faculty that will write you better letters of recommendation? These are some of the questions you should be able to answer and help guide you in the right direction. Good luck.

Also, P/F only helps you if you're Columbia or Harvard - aka solid schools with strong reputations. Going to a newer private school with a P/F system may hurt you because program directors aren't as familiar with your school.

Lol are you trolling?

There's no top 10. They got rid of that.

The top 10 students are no longer ranked? I asked students this cycle during the interview and was told that the top 10 students are ranked and everyone else is ranked as 11. If that's not the case, how does it work now?

The top 10 students are no longer ranked? I asked students this cycle during the interview and was told that the top 10 students are ranked and everyone else is ranked as 11. If that's not the case, how does it work now?

I think that the top 10 are actually ranked, but the ranking is only ever visible to program directors when your transcripts are sent. I think there is a little notice that says "This person was in the top 10 of the class" or something along those lines. The ranking really isn't a big deal to anyone, and I'm not sure students ever really know.

Life of Pablo was correct. UPENN does not rank students from 1-10. However, if you are within the top 10% of the class the letter that the administration will write on your behalf will include that you were in the top 10% of your class.

Reactions: 1 users
Penn....100%. Roseman is way too new and their curriculum will not prepare you nearly as well for specializing as Penn will.

UPenn for sure. Many graduates of UPenn pursue speciality programs. I believe as high as 25%. So if you want to do OMFS its a no brainer. Furthermore living in Philadelphia can give you an opportunity to see alot of OMFS trauma cases. Ie Gunshot wounds, facial trauma cases.