People in same sex relationships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thirdunity

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering... anyone here in a same-sex relationship? Do you find there are any issues (being in a relationship as a pre-med/medical student) specific to your sexual orientation that straight people don't experience?

This is a big deal to me -- my partner is an important factor in terms of where I want to go to medical school -- but I'm not sure if it wouldn't be the same in a heterosexual relationship. Actually, I feel I get more support from my partner, whereas men have had specific expectations.

What comes up for you? Or do you think the issues are the same?
 
there is a lesbian and a gay guy in my class. they are both in LTR with partners who are not medical students. I have not witnessed any descrimination towards either of them. Both are quite popular and well liked.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. People in med school, for the most part are a pretty enlightened bunch.
 
Having completed medical school and now nearly half way through residency with my partner (she is not in medicine) I can speak from some experience. Having her here with me and her not being in the medical profession lets me get away from medicine for a while when I'm not on duty. She keeps me grounded and ensures I don't work myself to death (well, not too much anyway as I do moonlight periodically). I think it is really important to keep your SO informed of what's going on and let them help you through the tough spots.

I have not experienced any overt descrimination, and have developed close relationships with many of my heterosexual classmates. For those few I've encountered with narrow minds... I managed to open their minds by just being myself and showing them that being gay by no means makes me less of a person or less of a capable physician.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the only problem I've had is that I can't put my partner on my school health insurance as a dependent. This has been a hardship recently since she's been unemployed.
 
i'm a senior in college, applying to med school right now, and he is doing his fellowship. i'm kind of worried about what's going to happen next yr, because i have absolutely NO IDEA where i'm going to end up. 🙁 this makes me super unhappy, because my chances of staying in boston are pretty damn small. anyone have any lucky with long distance relationships? D:
 
i'm a senior in college, applying to med school right now, and he is doing his fellowship. i'm kind of worried about what's going to happen next yr, because i have absolutely NO IDEA where i'm going to end up. 🙁 this makes me super unhappy, because my chances of staying in boston are pretty damn small. anyone have any lucky with long distance relationships? D:

He will likely be finished with fellowship before you complete medical school, so if he is willing to relocate he could go with you to where ever you end up. Besides... why are you so sure you won't be able to stay in Boston for med school?
 
i'm a senior in college, applying to med school right now, and he is doing his fellowship. i'm kind of worried about what's going to happen next yr, because i have absolutely NO IDEA where i'm going to end up. 🙁 this makes me super unhappy, because my chances of staying in boston are pretty damn small. anyone have any lucky with long distance relationships? D:

dude, u should tell the admisions peeps of u're predicament...they might be able to help u out by hooking u ups
 
i'm a senior in college, applying to med school right now, and he is doing his fellowship. i'm kind of worried about what's going to happen next yr, because i have absolutely NO IDEA where i'm going to end up. 🙁 this makes me super unhappy, because my chances of staying in boston are pretty damn small. anyone have any lucky with long distance relationships? D:


I have only 10 weeks of my last year of med school left (over before you know it) :laugh:

I am also in a relationship and my partner and I have been together now for 10 years (this Feb). We were together for 6 years when I left for Med school (I went to the Caribbean so talk about long distance). We saw each other every 4 months a little over a week each time. This was ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH on a relationship but you make it work if the love and understanding is there. We nearly did not make it a few times and we had 6 years behind us. I have no idea how long you have both been together but I will say this....please take it at face value and from someone who has been there...You have to do this for YOU if it has not been that many years between you (if you have been together for many years then you struggle to make it work...it can...we are proof of that)! Med school is no cake walk and neither is a relationship. They both take tons of work. He worked for the state government so could not relocate. Your partner could take a job wherever you get in...have you both talked about it? Communication is very important...no sense in worrying if you have not even talked about the what if scenarios yet. Try talking first....apply.....then see what you guys come up with as a solution. IF the relationsip is too new...focus on YOU!!!! Your future depends on a smart choice. 🙂

I hope I gave you something to go by.

drcaushian
 
My dh has a gay man in his medical class at Ohio State and it does not make a difference as to what his preference is. They care at Ohio State if you are a good doctor, not if you like boys or girls!

Just a few facts about Columbus:

We have a large gay population, hold annual Gay Pride Days, and even have whole communities with a largely gay population (Short North and German Village). All in all, I would say we are a "gay friendly" city... is that how one would put it??