People jealous because you're going to med school?

Started by T14
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

T14

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys
I just wanted to know if this happens to you guys too. For example, ever since you've been accepted to medical school and you talk to other people about it, do you get this vibe that some people are REALLY jealous of you? I have friends who applied the same time as me and not just to medical school but dental school etc but they didn't get interviews or acceptances yet. But when I told them about my acceptance, they weren't happy like I expected them to be. And I know I'm not snobby and I don't show off at all or think I'm better than anyone else.
But sometimes do you feel guilty when you know that you get into med school and have friends who didn't?
 
Yeah- I feel guilty, but most of my friends that I feel bad for have been pretty happy for me. I actually kept my acceptance a secret from my pre-med friends (even though I love them dearly) for about two weeks, because I did feel bad.

But the people a year younger than me won't shut up, and are just thrilled and want to ask a million questions.

I've also been pretty careful not to wear a COM shirt or put on the license plate cover yet (yes, I know, I'm a dork- a very happy dork).

But don't feel guilty for getting in. You obviously earned it, and your friends probably are happy for you.
 
My boss is jealous because he is a PhD with MD envy. As soon as I got my acceptance he turned into a total {butt}.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I heard of people on SDN or friends I know getting into medical school (this was before I got my first acceptance)...I was truly happy for them because I know that to get into med school they must have worked really hard. However, I cannot help but feel sad that I didn't get accepted yet. I was more worried about my own fate rather than beign jealous of the people who already got into med school. I'm sure your friends are in the same boat that I was in. It's just something they can't help going through and it has nothing to do with you. SO go out there and celebrate your acceptance!!! = ] And if they do mind that you got into med school then they're not your real friends anyway.

Those who mind won't matter and those you matter won't mind. 😍
 
When I heard of people on SDN or friends I know getting into medical school (this was before I got my first acceptance)...I was truly happy for them because I know that to get into med school they must have worked really hard. However, I cannot help but feel sad that I didn't get accepted yet. I was more worried about my own fate rather than beign jealous of the people who already got into med school. I'm sure your friends are in the same boat that I was in. It's just something they can't help going through and it has nothing to do with you. SO go out there and celebrate your acceptance!!! = ] And if they do mind that you got into med school then they're not your real friends anyway.

Those who mind won't matter and those you matter won't mind. 😍
 
Hey guys
I just wanted to know if this happens to you guys too. For example, ever since you've been accepted to medical school and you talk to other people about it, do you get this vibe that some people are REALLY jealous of you? I have friends who applied the same time as me and not just to medical school but dental school etc but they didn't get interviews or acceptances yet. But when I told them about my acceptance, they weren't happy like I expected them to be. And I know I'm not snobby and I don't show off at all or think I'm better than anyone else.
But sometimes do you feel guilty when you know that you get into med school and have friends who didn't?

I wonder if you realize that even assigning the motivation of jealousy to others is somewhat snobbish and off-putting? The term jealousy implies resentment. If it was me and I was getting that kind of reception from friends, I wouldn't say they were jealous (i.e. resentful). I would say that they feel bad that they aren't getting the same love from their school(s) of choice. There's a fine line between being jealous and just feeling bad about your own situation, but nevertheless, there is a line.
 
I can lump the response to me getting into medical school into three categories.

1. "How the hell did you get into medical school"
2. "Call me in ten years when you are making money"
3. "You got into medical school? My leg is really hurting me now, can you take a look at it for me?"
 
Hey guys
I just wanted to know if this happens to you guys too. For example, ever since you've been accepted to medical school and you talk to other people about it, do you get this vibe that some people are REALLY jealous of you? I have friends who applied the same time as me and not just to medical school but dental school etc but they didn't get interviews or acceptances yet. But when I told them about my acceptance, they weren't happy like I expected them to be. And I know I'm not snobby and I don't show off at all or think I'm better than anyone else.
But sometimes do you feel guilty when you know that you get into med school and have friends who didn't?

Friends jealous? No. It is widely known the sacrifices someone has to make financially, family-wise, and work-wise to get an MD. Since many people nowadays want instant gratification, the idea of becoming a doctor isn't as appealing as it used to be to many people.

With that said, nothing has changed for me with friends or family (mostly). The occasional person I haven't seen in 2+ years that I run in to generally offers a congratulations. And most of the patients I see each day that ask me and then find out are very nice about it. 😀

I think the key to it is realizing that getting an MD doesn't make you any more special than anyone else, for real. With careful choice of words and thinking before you speak, most awkward situations can be avoided, even when around friends who also applied for MD programs when you did and weren't so lucky.
 
The only people who are going to be "jealous" of you for getting into medical school are other-pre meds who are currently applying (because they didn't get in), or pre-meds who are a few years younger (because you're done with application process).

It seems like people on this board think that everyone wants to be doctors, and that everyone envies doctors for whatever reason. It's not the case. Sure - most people respect physicians, but no one is going to be jealous that you are on that path, especially if they didn't choose that path for themselves.

My friends think it's cool, my parents are proud, many others tell me I'm crazy for choosing to go to medical school. No one has expressed any sentiment of jealousy.
 
The other day in one of my classes we were talking about where everyone got into medical or dental school before class started. The teacher, who is a PhD with MD envy, came in and heard us then went on for like ten minutes about how docotors aren't real 'scientists' that they are really just glorified nurses and all they have to do is memorize books. He said that doctors stand on the shoulders of PhD's who do all the real work, then he really got pissed off when someone asked him if he was bitter because he was rejected from medical school. Anyway thats my PhD with MD envy story.
 
I wonder if you realize that even assigning the motivation of jealousy to others is somewhat snobbish and off-putting? The term jealousy implies resentment. If it was me and I was getting that kind of reception from friends, I wouldn't say they were jealous (i.e. resentful). I would say that they feel bad that they aren't getting the same love from their school(s) of choice. There's a fine line between being jealous and just feeling bad about your own situation, but nevertheless, there is a line.

Thank goodness you said it before I did, and much friendlier than I would have.

OP, if they're truly jealous of you, then I doubt you should be calling them "friends" in the first place..

But then again.. there's a difference between wishing they were there with you, and wishing they were there instead of you.

Sorry, talking out my butt here...

This reminds me of situations last year with my classmates where the tests were extremely difficult and certain students in my class ALWAYS did very well. These students could never tell their grades to anyone unless asked specifically or else all their "friends" in the class would think of them as cocky. Truth is everyone just wish their studying paid off as well as these select students. Some great friends in the class.
 
Yeah- I feel guilty, but most of my friends that I feel bad for have been pretty happy for me. I actually kept my acceptance a secret from my pre-med friends (even though I love them dearly) for about two weeks, because I did feel bad.

But the people a year younger than me won't shut up, and are just thrilled and want to ask a million questions.

I've also been pretty careful not to wear a COM shirt or put on the license plate cover yet (yes, I know, I'm a dork- a very happy dork).

But don't feel guilty for getting in. You obviously earned it, and your friends probably are happy for you.

i know the feeling. i try to keep my acceptances quiet, but once it's out, it's out. the sophomores in particular are always hitting me up for advice, which is fine -- i am more than willing to give advice since i was lucky enough to have a roommate last year who was going through the process a year ahead of be -- but it means they tell EVERYONE when i get an acceptance. oh, yeah, and the honors college dean announced my most recent acceptance at a freakin' departmental faculty meeting! i was mortified.

i feel like every other conversation i have is about med school. i just want to NOT think about it for a couple of months... (LOL, SDN defeats me)
 
The only people who are going to be "jealous" of you for getting into medical school are other-pre meds who are currently applying (because they didn't get in), or pre-meds who are a few years younger (because you're done with application process).

It seems like people on this board think that everyone wants to be doctors, and that everyone envies doctors for whatever reason. It's not the case. Sure - most people respect physicians, but no one is going to be jealous that you are on that path, especially if they didn't choose that path for themselves.

My friends think it's cool, my parents are proud, many others tell me I'm crazy for choosing to go to medical school. No one has expressed any sentiment of jealousy.

Um, I wonder if you just skipped over the part where the OP said he was talking about other pre-meds. I hate when people don't read the original post.
 
i know the feeling. i try to keep my acceptances quiet, but once it's out, it's out. the sophomores in particular are always hitting me up for advice, which is fine -- i am more than willing to give advice since i was lucky enough to have a roommate last year who was going through the process a year ahead of be -- but it means they tell EVERYONE when i get an acceptance. oh, yeah, and the honors college dean announced my most recent acceptance at a freakin' departmental faculty meeting! i was mortified.

i feel like every other conversation i have is about med school. i just want to NOT think about it for a couple of months... (LOL, SDN defeats me)

Yeah, sure you were mortified. I'm sure it mortifies you when people visit your MDApps too. You were accepted. People praised you. No one buys that it was an embarrassing situation for you and saying such while continuing to don your MDApps link in your sig is humorous.
 
As an undergrad, I observed many people through the application process and yes, people do get jealous of others' success. And I can understand that. If you've wanted to be a doctor really badly and is waiting on your first interview while your best friend is on his third acceptance....it can be disheartening.

Jealousy is a normal human reaction. As a society, we are raised to squelch jealousy, put on a happy face and say 'congrats'. But I've seen good people who are upset/depressed when they see others get acceptances and they have not gotten any.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As an undergrad, I observed many people through the application process and yes, people do get jealous of others' success. And I can understand that. If you've wanted to be a doctor really badly and is waiting on your first interview while your best friend is on his third acceptance....it can be disheartening.

Jealousy is a normal human reaction. As a society, we are raised to squelch jealousy, put on a happy face and say 'congrats'. But I've seen good people who are upset/depressed when they see others get acceptances and they have not gotten any.

As somebody else mentioned, jealousy doesn't mean being upset and depressed. It means resentment.
 
As an undergrad, I observed many people through the application process and yes, people do get jealous of others' success. And I can understand that. If you've wanted to be a doctor really badly and is waiting on your first interview while your best friend is on his third acceptance....it can be disheartening.

Jealousy is a normal human reaction. As a society, we are raised to squelch jealousy, put on a happy face and say 'congrats'. But I've seen good people who are upset/depressed when they see others get acceptances and they have not gotten any.

agreed
 
I can lump the response to me getting into medical school into three categories.

1. "How the hell did you get into medical school"
2. "Call me in ten years when you are making money"
3. "You got into medical school? My leg is really hurting me now, can you take a look at it for me?"

haha..I also get that..my responses go

1. "How the hell did you get into medical school?"
2. "Hey dawg, can you hook it up with some vicoden?"
3. "Can you get me a handicap placard?"
 
OP, it's natural, so just keep a low profile. Don't make yourself look like a gunner. You can always share your happiness with us here at SDN🙂
 
Hey guys
I just wanted to know if this happens to you guys too. For example, ever since you've been accepted to medical school and you talk to other people about it, do you get this vibe that some people are REALLY jealous of you? I have friends who applied the same time as me and not just to medical school but dental school etc but they didn't get interviews or acceptances yet. But when I told them about my acceptance, they weren't happy like I expected them to be. And I know I'm not snobby and I don't show off at all or think I'm better than anyone else.
But sometimes do you feel guilty when you know that you get into med school and have friends who didn't?

I am playing a little violin for you.
 
just tell them "whatever. you're just jealous." and they'll like you more for telling it like it is. i promise.
 
haha..I also get that..my responses go

1. "How the hell did you get into medical school?"
2. "Hey dawg, can you hook it up with some vicoden?"
3. "Can you get me a handicap placard?"

I get a similar response from some of my friends. I am not accpeted yet but when they find out I plan on going to medical school they always ask me if I will get them a prescription for medicinal marijuana.
 
Hey guys
I just wanted to know if this happens to you guys too. For example, ever since you've been accepted to medical school and you talk to other people about it, do you get this vibe that some people are REALLY jealous of you? I have friends who applied the same time as me and not just to medical school but dental school etc but they didn't get interviews or acceptances yet. But when I told them about my acceptance, they weren't happy like I expected them to be. And I know I'm not snobby and I don't show off at all or think I'm better than anyone else.
But sometimes do you feel guilty when you know that you get into med school and have friends who didn't?

You and I must have different kind of friends. After I told my friends that I would be going to med school, all of them said something like, "Are you crazy? Why would you want to go and do something stupid like that?"
 
You and I must have different kind of friends. After I told my friends that I would be going to med school, all of them said something like, "Are you crazy? Why would you want to go and do something stupid like that?"

Heh, mine too...👍
 
The other day in one of my classes we were talking about where everyone got into medical or dental school before class started. The teacher, who is a PhD with MD envy, came in and heard us then went on for like ten minutes about how docotors aren't real 'scientists' that they are really just glorified nurses and all they have to do is memorize books. He said that doctors stand on the shoulders of PhD's who do all the real work, then he really got pissed off when someone asked him if he was bitter because he was rejected from medical school. Anyway thats my PhD with MD envy story.

What did he say when he was accused of being bitter?
 
The other day in one of my classes we were talking about where everyone got into medical or dental school before class started. The teacher, who is a PhD with MD envy, came in and heard us then went on for like ten minutes about how docotors aren't real 'scientists' that they are really just glorified nurses and all they have to do is memorize books. He said that doctors stand on the shoulders of PhD's who do all the real work, then he really got pissed off when someone asked him if he was bitter because he was rejected from medical school. Anyway thats my PhD with MD envy story.

Can't wait to get both degrees so I will never have that problem.
 
Jealousy? I don't know. I didn't really share my acceptances except with my close, close friends, and most of them aren't even pre-med anyway, so they were all thrilled for me.

I do, however, get undying devotion from the people that haven't yet gone through the application process. It's like I'm suddenly the Encyclopedia for the Medical School Application Process. I don't care, I'm happy to help, I got help from a lot of upperclassmen back when I was a newbie.
 
This isn't completely on the subject of this thread, but I do find that friends applying to law school, grad school, etc. (not medical school) don't appreciate the fact that getting into medical school is much more difficult than getting into any one of these other professional/graduate schools. And while I'm not upset when my friends try to liken my experience to theirs, it is quite annoying. Law schools and most graduate schools don't require an interview and don't have acceptance rates at or well below 10 %. Plus, these other schools don't require as much out of you making it generally easier to be a "competitive" applicant at these schools. We should all give ourselves a nice pat on the back for all the hard work we've put into our dreams.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I get a similar response from some of my friends. I am not accpeted yet but when they find out I plan on going to medical school they always ask me if I will get them a prescription for medicinal marijuana.
Or male "hormone replacement therapy". 1000mg a week of test for my dropping libido and hey...while your at it I might need some clenbuterol for my asthma...its really acting up.
 
This isn't completely on the subject of this thread, but I do find that friends applying to law school, grad school, etc. (not medical school) don't appreciate the fact that getting into medical school is much more difficult than getting into any one of these other professional/graduate schools. And while I'm not upset when my friends try to liken my experience to theirs, it is quite annoying. Law schools and most graduate schools don't require an interview and don't have acceptance rates at or well below 10 %. Plus, these other schools don't require as much out of you making it generally easier to be a "competitive" applicant at these schools. We should all give ourselves a nice pat on the back for all the hard work we've put into our dreams.

but with their tough job markets, career prospects are *much* better for those going to top law or graduate schools, and so the tough competition to get into those "top" schools is more consequential for them. i don't think they have sayings like "p=jd" or "p=phd".
 
but with their tough job markets, career prospects are *much* better for those going to top law or graduate schools, and so the tough competition to get into those "top" schools is more consequential for them. i don't think they have sayings like "p=jd" or "p=phd".

well kind of. the whole p= thing implies that by doing the bare minimum, you're going to end up less highly paid than your more hardworking colleagues. so p=jd, but you won't be making much money as a lawyer in some no name firm. p=phd, but phds don't make money anyway, so i guess it just means that you won't be working at genentech or something. and p=md, well let's just say it's more like p=gp.
 
well kind of. the whole p= thing implies that by doing the bare minimum, you're going to end up less highly paid than your more hardworking colleagues. so p=jd, but you won't be making much money as a lawyer in some no name firm. p=phd, but phds don't make money anyway, so i guess it just means that you won't be working at genentech or something. and p=md, well let's just say it's more like p=gp.

whatever. you're just jealous.
 
This isn't completely on the subject of this thread, but I do find that friends applying to law school, grad school, etc. (not medical school) don't appreciate the fact that getting into medical school is much more difficult than getting into any one of these other professional/graduate schools. And while I'm not upset when my friends try to liken my experience to theirs, it is quite annoying. Law schools and most graduate schools don't require an interview and don't have acceptance rates at or well below 10 %. Plus, these other schools don't require as much out of you making it generally easier to be a "competitive" applicant at these schools. We should all give ourselves a nice pat on the back for all the hard work we've put into our dreams.

Yes, this drives me nuts... I'm sure getting a 1000 on the GRE and getting in to Grad school for Education at NYU is great and everything, but... you know what I'm happy for you 👍
 
Yes, this drives me nuts... I'm sure getting a 1000 on the GRE and getting in to Grad school for Education at NYU is great and everything, but... you know what I'm happy for you 👍

I hope that was sarcasm. And if it was, that was a fine useage.
 
Nope, but you can solve the problem by not telling anybody. It works for me.
 
I think jealousy is a natural human response. I've noticed that people I don't even know that well seem jealous of me for having an interview. (I had to get time off work to go to my interview, and my boss did give me a jealous 'vibe.' In fact, she told me that she would never come see me for medical help if I became a physician (then added that she was kidding, of course...). My closest friends and family are very supportive. I just avoid talking about it to coworkers, etc. I don't think they like the idea b/c I'm shooting for a dream, and I suspect that many of them would like to do the same but don't out of fear.
 
My prof walking into class after I called and heard of my acceptance:

"Boy, you really fooled them."

We all laughed. Of course it's important to mention I'm really close to him.

I guess it really has no bearing to this thread, but I have to say that yes, we are all crazy for going into medicine. I'm proud of it personally.
 
None of my friends were jealous of me. (They've been supportive enough to put up with me through this rollercoaster of a ride, so it must be true friendship! 🙂 )

I did get kind of a cold response from some of my coworkers, though. Many of them are happy for me, but a few started saying stuff behind my back to the effect of, "I guess she just thinks she's better than everyone, huh?"

To answer them, no, I don't think I'm better than everyone else, and I sincerely believe that I don't give off that vibe. But, these few people that are making the comments are secretaries who literally have no goals other than a remaining in that position for the rest of their careers. (Nothing wrong with that... I just want more out of life.)

So, in short, the people who are my true friends are rooting for me all the way! I just ignore all the snide crap. 😎
 
I don't really care if people are happy for me or not.

However, there is is dude in my school who up and stopped talking and/or even acknowledging me when I see him after he found out I got in.

Now that effing hillarious...
 
However, there is is dude in my school who up and stopped talking and/or even acknowledging me when I see him after he found out I got in.

Now that effing hillarious...

Yeah same here...they just don't smile anymore either.

Oh well. C'est la vie.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll just let you know that I'm jealous of everyone who got into med school. It's far better to be the guy who got in and thinks he's so F-in' special...than the guy who couldn't get in at all.
 
I've told a couple close family members about my acceptance and all i got was "oh, that's nice" .. that was kind of a bummer because i was really surprised, i thought i would have to go another round... oh well i'll buy myself a cake...
 
I've told a couple close family members about my acceptance and all i got was "oh, that's nice" .. that was kind of a bummer because i was really surprised, i thought i would have to go another round... oh well i'll buy myself a cake...

Wait till they ask you what specialty you are going into for the billionth time. My family has no clue what it takes to get into medicval school nor do they know what happens during or after med school.

"So, after you graduate are you a doctor?"
"Well, yeah sort of."
"So you can be my doctor"
"Hopefully not because I want to do oncology"
"What's oncology?"
"(explain....), but I would have to do an IM residency first"
"residency?"

I take it you will have similar experiences.