People: Let's do this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manamman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After spending hours on SDN, I came to the following conclusions about the reading comprehension section on DAT.

1. NEITHER "ExamKracker 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning book" or "Crack DAT Reading" resemble the actual DAT because they use more of the tone question and the search and destroy do not work on them.
  2. You can buy "DAT Achiever" and/or "TopScore" and you would get couple of full-length tests. So, if someone like me wants to concentrate the most on the RC section, "DAT Achiever" would not be a good choice.
So, would you say "Godfrey RC Practice Tests" are the best? People say that Godfrey's tests are very hard (due to the fact that the passages are long). So, I think doing Godfrey for RC is like doing Destroyer for GenChem. Am I right about this?

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
After spending hours on SDN, I came to the following conclusions about the reading comprehension section on DAT.

1. NEITHER "ExamKracker 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning book" or "Crack DAT Reading" resemble the actual DAT because they use more of the tone question and the search and destroy do not work on them.
  2. You can buy "DAT Achiever" and/or "TopScore" and you would get couple of full-length tests. So, if someone like me wants to concentrate the most on the RC section, "DAT Achiever" would not be a good choice.
So, would you say "Godfrey RC Practice Tests" are the best? People say that Godfrey's tests are very hard (due to the fact that the passages are long). So, I think doing Godfrey for RC is like doing Destroyer for GenChem. Am I right about this?

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Sorry, what exactly are we "doing"?

You can't find the most representative study material for RC because the RC passages vary themselves. Some people get a lot of S&D questions and some people get hit with a lot of inference questions...

Topscore is pure S&D so you will get S&D practice out of it.
For the inference questions... you'll have to get practice out of somewhere else lol? Someone fill in this answer for me :D

Members don't see this ad :)
So, as a history major prepping for (and beasting) the DAT, I definitely found a comprehensive science review was very helpful. I also found reading the same material in different ways helped my comprehension. So in that regard, the ExamKracker books were very helpful, in addition to CliffNotes Bio AP Review and DAT Destroyer. The Examkracker practice questions are definitely not indicative of DAT questions, as to be expected, because the MCAT asks questions in a slightly different way.

You can't really practice reading portion because the type of questions you get really depends on what passage you get. So just work on your basic reading skills: comprehension, retention, speed, etc.

So just work on your basic reading skills: comprehension, retention, speed, etc.

That's what I think too: technique and timing. You can do that with just about anything that has questions following a passage. I went to the public library and timed myself using reading tests in many different test prep books. But even if it was a simple high school passage, there were still unknown types of questions to test my comprehension or S&D or skimming or whatever method I tried. I ended up using three different techniques on my real test based on the clock and the topic of my passage. Like a chameleon!

The ultimate preparation would be actually learning better reading comprehension and speed reading. But there's no time for that. Although there is some good advice found in speed reading books/courses, like turning off that inner voice that's slowing your brain down.

Why isn't this in the DAT forum?

You can't find the most representative study material for RC because the RC passages vary themselves. Some people get a lot of S&D questions and some people get hit with a lot of inference questions...

Topscore is pure S&D so you will get S&D practice out of it.
For the inference questions... you'll have to get practice out of somewhere else lol? Someone fill in this answer for me :D
I agree with what you're saying. I haven't taken DAT yet, but from what I've seen on SDN it's more of a S&D question rather than the inference questions.

So, as a history major prepping for (and beasting) the DAT, I definitely found a comprehensive science review was very helpful. I also found reading the same material in different ways helped my comprehension. So in that regard, the ExamKracker books were very helpful, in addition to CliffNotes Bio AP Review and DAT Destroyer. The Examkracker practice questions are definitely not indicative of DAT questions, as to be expected, because the MCAT asks questions in a slightly different way.

You can't really practice reading portion because the type of questions you get really depends on what passage you get. So just work on your basic reading skills: comprehension, retention, speed, etc.
That's exactly what I mean. Examkracker is not worth a penny if you want to study for the RC of DAT...SO WHAT DO WE DO???:confused::confused::confused:

That's what I think too: technique and timing. You can do that with just about anything that has questions following a passage. I went to the public library and timed myself using reading tests in many different test prep books. But even if it was a simple high school passage, there were still unknown types of questions to test my comprehension or S&D or skimming or whatever method I tried. I ended up using three different techniques on my real test based on the clock and the topic of my passage. Like a chameleon!

The ultimate preparation would be actually learning better reading comprehension and speed reading. But there's no time for that. Although there is some good advice found in speed reading books/courses, like turning off that inner voice that's slowing your brain down.

Why isn't this in the DAT forum?
I'm sorry about the forum thing. I'm new here.
So you used couple of techniques? would you mind talking about them in here?
And also, do you think just reading random passages (like newspapers and articles from here and there) would boost up the RC grade?