People on the SUNY Downstate ALTERNATE List (2007 Edition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if there are 50 people on the alternate list or even more.

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if there are 50 people on the alternate list or even more.

I think there are definitely more. The real question is how many will have all their health forms, bls card, and official transcripts in when the adcoms start going down the list. I think I'll be complete there in a couple of days. Only one transcript hasn't arrived. I turned the rest in, in person.

That is true, they require alot of documents. No one has posted that they were accepted from the alternate list this week, maybe next week things will move. Good luck! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there are definitely more. The real question is how many will have all their health forms, bls card, and official transcripts in when the adcoms start going down the list. I think I'll be complete there in a couple of days. Only one transcript hasn't arrived. I turned the rest in, in person.
I called a few weeks ago, and we are all still under consideration until the forms are due. Then, only those who have completed forms will be looked at.

I called a few weeks ago, and we are all still under consideration until the forms are due. Then, only those who have completed forms will be looked at.

When are the forms due? That would be the day hold people are out of luck probably.

When are the forms due? That would be the day hold people are out of luck probably.

Just an fyi:

Final transcripts and health forms are due by July 1. BLS certification is due August 1.

Two years ago, a bunch of people were accepted off the waitlist in early July. I won't start worrying until then! :cool:

seadweller, thank you for the information and I like your way of thinking.

seadweller, thank you for the information and I like your way of thinking.

No worries, Doctor Doodle! This process is stressful enough. To make ourselves crazier over pure conjecture isn't good for anyone (or for me, at least)!

I'm still optimistic, especially given the fact that Downstate waitlisted so many people after the May 15 deadline. It simply wouldn't make sense for them to do that if they knew (like so many people here speculate) they wouldn't be using it!

Hope everyone is having a good Monday. I read that a couple of the NY school waitlists moved today (NYMC & Cornell). Maybe that is a sign of good news to come for other waitlist movements. :)

Well I have all my paper work in, now its a matter of them just taking me :)

From some one who called SUNY, I understand that for the Medical Forms alone, July 1st 2007 is ONLY the suggested deadline... If some one is having problems with one or two certificates, they will accept it later too... with out affecting the decision?

Also, I believe I have seen in this thread that applicants have been accepted from Alternate List even BEFORE they had turned in all the forms...

I would, however, urge caution and do turn in all the forms ASAP! Good luck all in the Alternate List, Wait List and Holds.. It surely would be a bummer to reapply all over again. I hope all are spared...

Can't wait for the lists to move in a big way!!! :)

Is anybody else still on hold, and does anyone know what still being on hold would mean?

I withdrew from the alternate list.

Good luck to all,

WT

Members don't see this ad :)
Wild, thank you for the posting, means alot to us still on the list. Good Luck!

I withdrew as well. I wish you all luck.

Im still on hold and think it means theyre too lazy to send us rejections. One of the posters said they send something at the end of the month.. maybe that has yet to happen

rampage, dont give up hope yet. This process is strange, and you never know what will happen. Good luck!

Still on the hold list. Havent heard anything since I was informed I was on the hold list in early June. Good luck to all on the alternate and hold lists!

dcarinci Int: 3/5 Alt: 6/9
sugarpi45
Seadweller75 Int: 3/21 Alt: 5/10
Goldenhair Int: 3/20, Alt: 5/9??
chinny34
gau232000
Kriyaban Int: 2/2* Alt: 6/9
DrCurious
AnthonyNY Int:12/10? Alt: 6/9
Doctor Doodle07 Int: 12/ Alt: 6/9
Friend of Wild Tumor: Int: 3/6 Alt:6/8 (originally on Hold)
Mattypez: Int: 3/28? alt: 6/9
sonofschmilsson Int: 1/10 Alt: 6/11 (hold late april)
poifect: Int:2/17 alt:6/7

Accepted off alternate list
dafade Int: 3/6 lnt: 4/18 Accepted: 6/11

Withdrew
WildTumor: Int: 3/12 Alt: 4/30
purometal Int: 2/26, Alt: 6/8
samiam37

This is way off topic, but how long after you submited did you have to wait for a secondary?
:)

Hi, does anyone think the list will start moving after July 1? or is that just wishful thinking. :)

i think it will! if there are ~166 holding acceptances then this list has to move. i have a feeling this monday july 2nd some alternates will get in.

i think it will! if there are ~166 holding acceptances then this list has to move. i have a feeling this monday july 2nd some alternates will get in.

I don't see the logic in this statement. If the class is to have more than 166 spots, why would the school wait until July to expand their acceptences? It is already very late in the whole process and people need to look for housing asap. The list will only move if current accepted students get off other waitlists.

I don't see the logic in this statement. If the class is to have more than 166 spots, why would the school wait until July to expand their acceptences? It is already very late in the whole process and people need to look for housing asap. The list will only move if current accepted students get off other waitlists.

It makes sense to me (or perhaps the optimist in me is just trying to keep hope alive!) - especially given the fact that if you look back through the SDN archives, a whole group of people are typically accepted off the Downstate waitlist in early July, all receiving their phone calls on the same day.

It seems that Downstate's adcom meets much less frequently than most - and if the waitlist is indeed unranked, there must be some strategy behind who to take and who not to (i.e. those with higher MCAT numbers, or those from out-of-state, etc...) that could be more time-consuming than just going down a numbered list. Maybe that's the cause of the delay?

Of course, all of this is pure conjecture on my part - but I'm not giving in yet!

Good luck, everyone!

Well, they supposedly did over-accept the previous year, so it's possible they are trying to keep the total number enrolled in the school the same from year to year.

On the other hand, the structure of the first and second year classes has long been 180 students divided into two groups A and B, with ten groups of nine students each. They can physically handle this many people, so they probably will just keep it up.

Anyway, all the med schools are incrementally increasing the sizes of their entering classes to address the anticipated physician shortage. This must be especially true for a state school which feels some pressure to meet the healthcare needs of their state. I was born, raised, and now live in three different NY counties all listed as medically underserved. 166 students just seems too few.

is everyone ready to receive their acceptance phonecalls tomorrow?

What a great feeling that must be, getting the "phone call"! I hope there will be some phone calls this week. Good luck everyone.

Do they leave messages or is it one call no answer move on type of thing

Hi all!

I just called Downstate's Office of Admissions to confirm they'd received my transcripts. At the end of the call, I asked whoever I spoke with (didn't sound like Ilana Levine) whether they expected any waitlist movement.

Her response? "It's moving. It's moving."

Not sure if that means it has moved (and these people aren't on SDN to tell us) or will be moving, but just thought I'd share.

I'm considering deferring at the med school I'm currently enrolled at to wait it out on Downstate (and possibly re-apply next year). Is that allowed?

Hey guys, I got the phone call this morning at 10 am. I'm on cloud nine--total happiness and relief. I wanted this so bad. They do leave a voicemail if you don't initially answer, and the caller id said "unavailable". They're sending the packet out soon and give you a week to get it back to them.

I have the exact average stats for the school, but I think the letter of intent I wrote two weeks after my interview really helped.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Wow congrats that is good news. I hope it keeps on moving.

Hey guys, I got the phone call this morning at 10 am. I'm on cloud nine--total happiness and relief. I wanted this so bad. They do leave a voicemail if you don't initially answer, and the caller id said "unavailable". They're sending the packet out soon and give you a week to get it back to them.

I have the exact average stats for the school, but I think the letter of intent I wrote two weeks after my interview really helped.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

AWESOME! Congratulations! And thank you for posting :)

sugarpi45
Goldenhair Int: 3/20, Alt: 5/9??
chinny34
gau232000
DrCurious
sonofschmilsson Int: 1/10 Alt: 6/11 (hold late april)

Kriyaban Int: 2/2* Alt: 6/9 Accepted: 7/3

Withdrew
samiam37

got a call today too. wahoo

Got a call as well. 9:54 am standard time. Deciding now between Stony and Downstate.
They told the waitlist started moving today. Good luck to all of you waiting!

sugarpi45
chinny34
gau232000
DrCurious

sonofschmillson Int: 1/10 Alt: 6/11 (hold late april) Accepted: 7/3
goldenhair Int: 3/20 Alt: 5/9?? Accepted: 7/3

Withdrew
samiam37

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! It was worth the wait. I hope they did not give out all the acceptances today. :confused:

Got a call as well. 9:54 am standard time. Deciding now between Stony and Downstate.
They told the waitlist started moving today. Good luck to all of you waiting!

go to stony brook!

;)

Heya crew... got the phone call tuesday morning as well! I LOVE YOU Ilana Levine!

My only acceptance after 2 years of waitlists. thank god.

Happy 4th of July!!!!!

chinny34
gau232000
DrCurious

sonofschmillson Int: 1/10 Alt: 6/11 (hold late april) Accepted: 7/3
goldenhair Int: 3/20 Alt: 5/9?? Accepted: 7/3
sugarpi45 Accepted: 7/3

Withdrew
samiam37

already the alternate list movement is better than last year. i wonder how many non-SDNers got the call yesterday. if not too many then hopefully ilana will pick up tomorrow where she left off yesterday!!!

Congratulations to those of you who made it in. I'll look forward to having you all as classmates. Good luck to those still waiting. :luck:

Any calls today?!?!?! Waiting optimistically. :)

I'm so sad that I haven't received any love from Ilana Levine :(

I spent part of yesterday analyzing past year's Downstae threads to see when alternate list calls were made (sad, I know...). It looks like a bunch were made all on one day, and then a few more trickled in as the week went on. Then nothing for a few weeks, and then a few more, etc...

I'm so scared that no more spots will be offered! To the point where I'm considering deferring my current spot at another med school to apply again to Downstate next year. Ugh.

If any of those who were accepted decide to turn down their spots, please let us know!

Best of luck to those still waiting! And a huge congratulations to those who got in!

I'm so sad that I haven't received any love from Ilana Levine :(

I spent part of yesterday analyzing past year's Downstae threads to see when alternate list calls were made (sad, I know...). It looks like a bunch were made all on one day, and then a few more trickled in as the week went on. Then nothing for a few weeks, and then a few more, etc...

I'm so scared that no more spots will be offered! To the point where I'm considering deferring my current spot at another med school to apply again to Downstate next year. Ugh.

If any of those who were accepted decide to turn down their spots, please let us know!

Best of luck to those still waiting! And a huge congratulations to those who got in!
If I get into downstate off the alternate list - i'll trade you for your Buffalo acceptance!

DONE!

Don't you wish it worked this way?

Well a match system would work a lot better than the way it does now. The schools would never agree to it unfortunatly.