People on the SUNY Downstate ALTERNATE List (2007 Edition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well a match system would work a lot better than the way it does now. The schools would never agree to it unfortunatly.
so true. And I haven't been accepted to downstate. Yet. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so sad that I haven't received any love from Ilana Levine :(

I spent part of yesterday analyzing past year's Downstae threads to see when alternate list calls were made (sad, I know...). It looks like a bunch were made all on one day, and then a few more trickled in as the week went on. Then nothing for a few weeks, and then a few more, etc...

I'm so scared that no more spots will be offered! To the point where I'm considering deferring my current spot at another med school to apply again to Downstate next year. Ugh.

If any of those who were accepted decide to turn down their spots, please let us know!

Best of luck to those still waiting! And a huge congratulations to those who got in!

Anything specific that you don't like about SUNY Buffalo? I lived in buffalo last year and it was not so bad. We only had one freak snow storm in October (everyone lost power for a week), otherwise it was pretty decent weather. Also a lot of the students at UB med think their school has a better reputation than downstate. Personally I think downstate has the edge.

Anything specific that you don't like about SUNY Buffalo? I lived in buffalo last year and it was not so bad. We only had one freak snow storm in October (everyone lost power for a week), otherwise it was pretty decent weather. Also a lot of the students at UB med think their school has a better reputation than downstate. Personally I think downstate has the edge.

Actually, I loved Buffalo when I visited! I loved the program, the dean of admissions (Charles Severin is so nice!), and the other students.

However, I'm starting to panic about location. Like really panic. I grew up in Syracuse (so am used to the snow), but have been living in big cities for the past seven years, and am completely resistant to moving back to Upstate/Western New York. Also, I have no family left in Syracuse. Everyone is in NYC, as is my boyfriend.

I'd also love to do urban medicine (what I studied for my masters), and know that Downstate's program is amongst the best.

I can't complain, because I'm so incredibly fortunate to hold a spot somewhere. And again, I loved Buffalo, and feel this huge sense of loyalty to them for giving me a chance. I just wish Buffalo were located in NYC. Or that Downstate (or Einstein!) would take me :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, I loved Buffalo when I visited! I loved the program, the dean of admissions (Charles Severin is so nice!), and the other students.

However, I'm starting to panic about location. Like really panic. I grew up in Syracuse (so am used to the snow), but have been living in big cities for the past seven years, and am completely resistant to moving back to Upstate/Western New York. Also, I have no family left in Syracuse. Everyone is in NYC, as is my boyfriend.

I'd also love to do urban medicine (what I studied for my masters), and know that Downstate's program is amongst the best.

I can't complain, because I'm so incredibly fortunate to hold a spot somewhere. And again, I loved Buffalo, and feel this huge sense of loyalty to them for giving me a chance. I just wish Buffalo were located in NYC. Or that Downstate (or Einstein!) would take me :)

Hopefully you'll get into Downstate or AECOM. If you don't, then you'll just take the train directly from NYC to Buffalo, and vice-versa on weekends. Nothing to panic about. Also UB definitely has urban medicine. ECMC and some other clinical sites have a huge share of urban, disadvantaged patients. Plus rotating through Roswell will let you see tons of interesting cases. You can also live in downtown Buffalo instead of the suburbs, the commute isn't much. One thing for sure is everything is cheaper in Buffalo.

Hopefully you'll get into Downstate or AECOM. If you don't, then you'll just take the train directly from NYC to Buffalo, and vice-versa on weekends. Nothing to panic about. Also UB definitely has urban medicine. ECMC and some other clinical sites have a huge share of urban, disadvantaged patients. Plus rotating through Roswell will let you see tons of interesting cases. You can also live in downtown Buffalo instead of the suburbs, the commute isn't much. One thing for sure is everything is cheaper in Buffalo.

Sucks to have a boyfriend who says it's Downstate or nada. Not even AECOM is close enough for him!

Okay... will leave my relationship woes for another forum. Ilana Levine's shoulder seems like a nice one to cry upon. Maybe she'll call!

Quiet rest of the holiday week. Hopefully, next week there will be more movement? What do you think?

hey downstaters... Since time is of the essence, I believe im going to be heading to brooklyn this weekend to scope out apartments. I was wondering if anyone is interesting in being roommates or if anyone needs one? If you are, send me a message and we can talk shop!

I heard today that the Alternate list is moving but slowly. Better than not moving! Good luck.

I heard today that the Alternate list is moving but slowly. Better than not moving! Good luck.

it is moving! got the call today from ilana levine at 5:10pm. so relieved! and i think the fact that i didn't have any other acceptances helped b/c she said that she saw on my AMCAS that i didn't have any other acceptances and asked me to confirm that. good luck to you all.

And for those accepted on 7/3, they got delayed and just sent several acceptance packets out today in case you're wondering why you haven't gotten yours yet.

it is moving! got the call today from ilana levine at 5:10pm. so relieved! and i think the fact that i didn't have any other acceptances helped b/c she said that she saw on my AMCAS that i didn't have any other acceptances and asked me to confirm that. good luck to you all.

Congratulations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seadweller75 Int: 3/21 Alt: 5/10
chinny34
gau232000
DrCurious
AnthonyNY Int:12/10? Alt: 6/9
Doctor Doodle07 Int: 12/ Alt: 6/9
Friend of Wild Tumor: Int: 3/6 Alt:6/8 (originally on Hold)
Mattypez: Int: 3/28? alt: 6/9
poifect: Int:2/17 alt:6/7

Accepted off alternate list
dafade Int: 3/6 lnt: 4/18 Accepted: 6/11
Kriyaban Int: 2/2* Alt: 6/9 Accepted: 7/3
sonofschmillson Int: 1/10 Alt: 6/11 (hold late april) Accepted: 7/3
goldenhair Int: 3/20 Alt: 5/9?? Accepted: 7/3
sugarpi45 Accepted: 7/3
dcarinci: Int: 3/5 Alt: 6/9 Accepted: 7/10

Withdrew
WildTumor: Int: 3/12 Alt: 4/30
purometal Int: 2/26, Alt: 6/8
samiam37

was when I called Ilana Levine to tell about my decision to withdraw (and then having to write an email didn't make it better).

Chose Stony Brook. I felt so so so bad to withdraw as Downstate has been so nice to me... And in my application essays and a letter of interest I wrote how much I wanted to go to Downstate, and now withdrawing... Feel horrible, like the worst person in the world... :oops:
Hope the spot goes to a someone who is really passionate about Downstate. Good luck to you guys!:luck:

Here is the update:

chinny34
gau232000
DrCurious

goldenhair Int: 3/20 Alt: 5/9?? Accepted: 7/3 withdrew 7/11

Withdrew
samiam37

Hi all- perhaps you may have some insight on the following.
I am currently on the downstate alternate list, but am wondering what to do about reapplying while i wait to hear....Is it commonplace to send out AMCAS 08 while you are still waiting to from a school for the 07 year? Can I call downstate and ask when they forsee reaching a definitive decision? Dont really feel like wasting money if they pull through, but also dont want to send AMCAS too late.

Thanks!!

Hi all- perhaps you may have some insight on the following.
I am currently on the downstate alternate list, but am wondering what to do about reapplying while i wait to hear....Is it commonplace to send out AMCAS 08 while you are still waiting to from a school for the 07 year? Can I call downstate and ask when they forsee reaching a definitive decision? Dont really feel like wasting money if they pull through, but also dont want to send AMCAS too late.

Thanks!!

Get everything together now to reapply and designate only one school in your AMCAS 2008 app. Then if you don't get in, you can always add the rest of the schools you want electronically without any further wait. If you do get in, you'll have only lost $160. You don't want to apply late.

chinny34
gau232000
DrCurious
Zenster

Withdrew
samiam37

Hey all,

today I got an acknowledgement email from Downstate that I have replied "yes" to be on the alternate list and what not. However, I faxed the form in about a month ago. Did anyone else get this email a long time ago or just now. Seems odd.

Hey all,

today I got an acknowledgement email from Downstate that I have replied "yes" to be on the alternate list and what not. However, I faxed the form in about a month ago. Did anyone else get this email a long time ago or just now. Seems odd.
Ditto! Don't know what's up.

Received alternate packet today, postmarked 7/6. This throws me off as I am already waist deep in the 2008 application process. Well, now it is interesting....Good luck to all!

That is good news for you! Maybe it is good news for all on the Alternate list. Maybe they expect that they will need more students, and took more people from hold to the Alternate list. I hope they would not take more, and have students get immunization records, BlS, just to send a sorry letter out in a month or so.

Just wanted to give an update on the whole email thing. I've been accepted already and got an email through their PRIME system tonight and it shows that the email has been sent to 178 people, 2 or 3 of which are second year students who are orientation coordinators. I think the email before this had 159.

Just wanted to give an update on the whole email thing. I've been accepted already and got an email through their PRIME system tonight and it shows that the email has been sent to 178 people, 2 or 3 of which are second year students who are orientation coordinators. I think the email before this had 159.

How many spots are there in the incoming class?

with the supposed paucity of remaining spots, there should be high drama in the next couple of weeks

nothing...I dont buy that they have 7 empty spots and they are just taking their time to fill them. I wouldn't trust that email server thing.

yeah...if that was true, why would they wait so long already. But why did they pull more people off hold last week to the alternate?

In the orientation packet, it states: "The first day of orientation is Monday, August 13, 2007, starting at 8:00 a.m. Registration is on the first morning of orientation. If you do not register, we will assume that you have decided not to attend Downstate Medical Center and an alternate will be accepted in your place."

Maybe someone will flake out at the last minute and one of you will get a spot. It seems that this would be the absolute last day to get in though.

I got an acceptance call today from Ms. Levine around 12:35ish est.

Its my first acceptance so I'm VERY happy:D:D:D

Good luck to everyone else!!!!!

Wow, congrats! That is great news. Trying not to give up just yet. Good luck!

I know its too much to ask for, but It would be interesting to see the mcat/gpa of all the people accepted off the waitlist. It could potentialy help me understand why I have not been accepted 2 years in a row off the waitlist.
I have a feeling they may be taking the "highest stats" people off in that priority. I have talked to an adcom from a different state school in another state, and what he told me was that schools really care about your stats the most, in order to raise the incoming mcat/gpa average, as this will eventually lead to more funding and what not.
Having completed med school courses in an SMP and performing in the top 15% of the med school class, there is no doubt that Downstate knows I can handle "med school work". However, one of my mcat scores is sketch. Hmmm

Oh the memories... I remember when I was on this waitlist, hoping and praying everyday that I'd get the phone call, or the letter. I watched as others got the call. But mine never came, from any of my waitlists. By late August all the classes had started, the waitlists expired, and I didn't have any backup plans. I didn't know what to do with my life, as I'd already committed to medicine. Some of you, unfortunately, will be in this position next month. Fast forward 3 years.

So I went the DO route, as you can see. Did very well, aced my boards, and now several weeks into my surgery rotation, doing what I love and I couldn't be happier. Just remember guys (there may be only a couple of you to whom this applies), when prospects look bleak - be patient, keep an open mind, and fight hard for your goals. I guess if this reaches 1 person, this post will be 5 minutes well spent.

I know its too much to ask for, but It would be interesting to see the mcat/gpa of all the people accepted off the waitlist. It could potentialy help me understand why I have not been accepted 2 years in a row off the waitlist.
I have a feeling they may be taking the "highest stats" people off in that priority. I have talked to an adcom from a different state school in another state, and what he told me was that schools really care about your stats the most, in order to raise the incoming mcat/gpa average, as this will eventually lead to more funding and what not.
Having completed med school courses in an SMP and performing in the top 15% of the med school class, there is no doubt that Downstate knows I can handle "med school work". However, one of my mcat scores is sketch. Hmmm

chinny34
gau232000
DrCurious
Zenster
cgjock80

VivaPortugal Accepted 7/23

Withdrew
samiam37

I've withdrawn from the waitlist as well.

Guys, I don't know if this means anything (I haven't followed this or the HOLD thread) but....

I'm going to Downstate in August. They sent out an email about the white coat ceremony addressed to the Class of 2011. On that mailing list were 168 names, including at least 2 current Downstate med students who are orientation coordinators.

Make of that what you will...I felt I should share that info.

That was a long time ago. We were sent another email a few days ago about orientation...the list is up to 178, including at least 2 orientation coordinators.

I know it does not look good considering there is about two weeks left before classes start, but has everyone given up?...Unlike other waitlist threads, no one writes much here.

I know it does not look good considering there is about two weeks left before classes start, but has everyone given up?...Unlike other waitlist threads, no one writes much here.

To be honest, I think it's time you gave up hope. It doesn't look very promising. Do you have an acceptance elsewhere?

That was a long time ago. We were sent another email a few days ago about orientation...the list is up to 178, including at least 2 orientation coordinators.

Boom goes the dynamite!

To be honest, I think it's time you gave up hope. It doesn't look very promising. Do you have an acceptance elsewhere?

I don't think most of us would be holding out for this long if we did.

im busy finishing up secondaries for the second year in a row..

For those of you still on the waitlist, have you all completed BLS training? Im planning to go tomorrow (I called admin and they said i could still fax it in tomorrow night). But Im not sure if its worth it at this point...Are people ever accepted the first day of class (if other students dont show) or is that a rarity?

today someone on Downstate's PRIME msg board said the person he was going to room with just got accepted to another school. that leaves a spot open for one of you guys. good luck to you all!