People that got accepted, what were your ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolpremed22

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of threads like this on stats, so I wanted to make one for ECs. It seems like the MDapps website mainly has stats usually.

For context, what were your GPAs and MCAT? Also trad or nontrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Over 600 clinical hours
1 year research no pubs
1 year scribing
Various non clinical volunteering here and there but not amounting to more than around 100h

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
After 2 gap years:
Shadowing: 200hrs
Clinical Volunteering: 800hrs (for over 5 years)
Non-clinical Voluntering: 100hrs
Research: 0
Clinical paid work (phlebotomist/lab assistant): 1500hrs
Non-clinical paid work (Tutor): ~500hrs
Non-clinical paid work (Asst Scientist): ~1200 hrs
College Track athlete for 4 years with 2 school records
Volunteer Track Coach for a year

Third MCAT: 513 , sGPA and uGPA: 3.9

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
lmao is this saying people listed mcat prep courses on their aamcas or was that on the survey to find out how many people took a course to prep for the mcat?

The MSQ is a separate survey that matriculating students take before staring med school.

Non-trad, 3 gap years
3.73c/3.79s
31 (11/8/12)

225 hours clinical work
4000+ hours pharmacy tech
200+ hours nonclinical volunteering with underserved
50ish hours pep band

Significant leadership experience
Also a TA

Probably othee stuff im forgetting, but my nonclinical work came up and legit every interview i had.

EDIT:
50 hours shadowing

Last edited:
Most of my ECs started a little before halfway through my junior year because I didn't get the memo that schools like to see long-term commitment. Regardless of what ECs you decide on, make sure you give yourself adequate time to gather experience. I feel I would've had much more success this cycle had I been wiser.

2 gap years

Science and English teacher with refugee communities in Palestine (1 yr full time)
Intern with human rights NGO in Middle East (1 summer)
EMT with campus EMS service + some time in the ER as kind of like a tech (1500+ hrs, 3 yrs)
Lab assistant/Research projects with bio lab (1100 hrs, 3 yrs)
English tutor for resettled refugees in local community (150 hrs, 1.5 yrs)
Research assistant for anthropological/health refugee research project, including international field work and conference presentations (1.5 yrs, 1000 hrs)

No shadowing. Seconding how often nonclinical work/volunteering comes up during interviews.

I haven't applied yet. So far I've held volunteering positions for 1-2 years. Soup kitchen for 1 year, big brothers sisters for 1 year, clinical volunteering for 2.5 years, couple of leadership roles for 1-2 years, and the ultimate sacrifice (for me) would be joining the peace-corps when I graduate for two years. I will be starting research soon. While maintainh a GPA ~3.95. You need to find what you're passionate about

Reactions: 1 user
There are a lot of threads like this on stats, so I wanted to make one for ECs. It seems like the MDapps website mainly has stats usually.

For context, what were your GPAs and MCAT? Also trad or nontrad.

Non trad: undergrad 2013, post bac 2015 accepted 2017

Over 7k hours in research
Including Clinical research coordinator of surgery lab (full time), RA in neuroscience lab, RA in neuropsychiatry lab. Over ~10 pubs, 1 first author, 3 conferences/poster presentations.

700 hours as a heme/once scribe
500 hours Hospice volunteer
Volunteer ESL teacher for adult immigrants at nearby church
300 hours shadowing physicians
Gen Chemistry Peer Tutor (part time)
Neuroscience Tutor
Neuroscience society secretary
MCAT 510 sGPA 3.7 GPA 3.6

Applied last cycle, going straight in from undergrad, was thankful to have a couple options.

Work: (gotta pay for college somehow #broke):
1-Resident Assistant (2 years) 22 hrs/week
2-Organic Chem Tutor (2 years) 6 hrs/week
3-Lab Tech (3 years) 20 hrs/week
4-Camp counselor (2 summers)

Volunteering:
ER Volunteering (4 years) 300 hours
Non-profit Org volunteering (4 years) 120 hours

Internship:
Summer intern for environmental non-profit regarding climate change policy (1 summer)
(Personal interest and because environmental politics are super important for our future...as a planet...as a species... we're already screwed... x_x )

Research:
Undergrad Research (2 years)
Clinical Research (1 year)

Shadowing: 0 hours (Had no time but this is highly recommended)

Leadership:
President of Fraternity (2 years)
President of Club (3 years)

Major Hobbies: Baking, Writing

Most Energy consuming: Girlfriend (2.5 years)

I don't recommend anyone killing themselves like I did in undergrad. Consistently running on 3-4 hours of sleep made me look like a dying challupa and I really can't tell you how much my ECs influenced me making it in (I'm just grateful). Med school admissions definitely has a component of luck to it. By my senior year I realized that I needed to start prioritizing my health and sanity so I started to really cut down on my activities. I had to pay for college on my own so working like a maniac was a must, but if I could give anyone advice...just follow your passion, explore your interests, and get involved in the community. Commit to your activities and don't ever do something because you think it'll look good on an app. If you truly want to pursue medicine for the right reasons, your ECs will align, will most likely be clinically related, and it'll all fall in place the way it should. Go make a difference in the world and spread seeds of love and kindness.

Sorry, forgot to add...
GPA: 3.8 cummulative/ 3.9 mathscience
MCAT: 514
URM

Last edited:
Research: 1 year and I presented in front of entire science faculty.

100 hours of volunteering at a hospital

50 hours shadowing

1 year as a peer mentor for freshman students

Always worked 25-30 hrs a week while as a full time student.

3 mission's trips including one in Haiti.

2 years as summer camp counselor for abused foster kids.

3.5 GPA and 503 MCAT. I was the first class to take the new MCAT.

Last edited: