1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

People who got accepted to UPENN

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by john9192, Mar 11, 2007.

1. john9192

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    First of all,
    Congrats to all of you who got into dental school as of today.
    I'm really getting nervous b/c I'm going to be applying next cycle.
    It is comming up!!

Did any of you guys with science GPA below 3.5 get into Upenn this year?
    I checked predents.com and there was like 1!
    Just curious because it seems like they weigh more on your GPA more than anything else. Thanks guys.

2. Zanderale6

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Keep in mind that not everyone puts their stats up on the PreDents website. You are likely not getting a fair representation of the total applicant pool.

That being said ... although I do believe that more than one person with a sub 3.5 GPA has been accepted to Penn, I agree with your observation that Penn ADCOMS tend to value high GPA's over most other things.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ddsjymaeng

ddsjymaeng dentalschoolgogogo
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    among others?

4. Ething

Ething Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Avg gpa for last yrs class was close to a 3.7. Dont waste time applying if you have below 3.5 unless you have some type of "special" situation (ie. you are a minority/have a connection).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Cymbidium

Cymbidium Awesome.
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    At my Penn interview they made a specific point of said that they look for "people" not "numbers" so I would say that you actually have a good chance of getting in with a lower GPA.

Just my $0.02

6. 2quik

2quik Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    What school doesnt say that though you know? Im sure they look at "people" AFTER the "numbers." D-school is hit or miss.

Im just bitter..

7. PickMe

PickMe Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

id say def apply even if you have below a 3.5! the avg this year was about a 3.7, but that still means that plenty of people with gpa's below 3.5 got admitted, i even know people with close to 3.0's that got in. a high gpa will help but they look at so much more.