Pepperdine or University of Denver?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylviat

Reaction score
Accepted: Masters Clinical Psychology - Marriage and Family Track - Daytime format at Pepperdine
Accepted: Masters International disaster Psychology - U Denver
waiting: PSYD - NOVA
End goal: taking over my family's private practice.
hard time making a decision. Going to Nova if accepted, but otherwise not sure which to choose
Please no price of tuition advice. Not applicable for discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
NOVA would be a great PSYD to go to if you get in so I see why you have that ranked as one.

I mean the two masters you were accepted at are so different. Idk how anyone can help you. Why did you apply to such different focuses?

if you want to talk about quality of school. I believe university of Denver is significantly better of a overall institution in the field of psychology and holds more merit in comparison to Pepperdine. DU has research opportunities because of the doctoral programs and if your goal was PH.D, I saw a couple of DU applicants at my interviews that seemed competitive.

Will either program ( I am guessing only maybe Pepperdine) allow you to be a licensed therapist?

NOVA would be a great PSYD to go to if you get in so I see why you have that ranked as one.

I mean the two masters you were accepted at are so different. Idk how anyone can help you. Why did you apply to such different focuses?

if you want to talk about quality of school. I believe university of Denver is significantly better of a overall institution in the field of psychology and holds more merit in comparison to Pepperdine. DU has research opportunities because of the doctoral programs and if your goal was PH.D, I saw a couple of DU applicants at my interviews that seemed competitive.
I don't know if I'd describe NOVA as "great."

Their individual cohorts are almost three times the size of my entire program. I can't imagine that you're getting much individual attention and mentoring in that context.

More importantly, only 85% of graduates are licensed. What are the remaining 87 graduates doing with their practitioner-based degree?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if I'd describe NOVA as "great."

Their individual cohorts are almost three times the size of my entire program. I can't imagine that you're getting much individual attention and mentoring in that context.

More importantly, only 85% of graduates are licensed. What are the remaining 87 graduates doing with their practitioner-based degree?

for a Psyd it is good. I have a couple of friends in the program Currently and really have nothing but positive things to say. Variety of clinical opportunities, research opportunities with the PhD faculty, some assistantships offered, even the handling of the current situation was done swift and to the benefit of the students.

I mean it’s 15+ times the size of my program but anything with 20+ Incoming cohorts per year isn’t ideal.

Considering the options given, NOVA is the best option.... well I mean the true best option is boosting cv for next round to get into a funded program but the OP said money doesn’t matter and I hate always telling people this

My order, money aisde: Nova, MFT @ pep D (cause its a degree that you can actually use), then the disaster program (no clue what one would even do with this).

Based on your goals just go to the most local MFT or LCSW program and get your license.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted: Masters Clinical Psychology - Marriage and Family Track - Daytime format at Pepperdine
hard time making a decision. Going to Nova if accepted, but otherwise not sure which to choose
I thought you were trying to research schools for your daughter and now you are trying to take over family’s private practice? I’m confused.:thinking:
daughter is coming from Penn State - undergrad Psychology degree.
3.5 GPA has not taken GRE yet. Wants to do a Psy D program
money not an issue.
how difficult are these programs to get into?
Should she apply to many schools?
Apply to some Masters Programs as a back up plan?

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I thought you were trying to research schools for your daughter and now you are trying to take over family’s private practice? I’m confused.:thinking:
Ah I’ve been waiting for someone else to notice. The mother is probably still posting for the daughter and didn’t want to catch anymore heat from people asking why her daughter isn’t putting the effort to research schools and ask these questions herself. At least now we know why she kept saying money isn’t an issue when it comes to affording Nova’s 49,000-60,000 yearly costs.

That aside, I interviewed with Nova in December and even received an acceptance letter shortly after. Idk about the other programs but if I didn’t get accepted into my first choice program I would have still been happy attending Nova since I loved their multicultural focus and opportunities to practice abroad. Even though it’s a big cohort I definitely felt like I would still be able to receive the support I would need from it’s faculty. Especially since they have a large one.

The only things I didn’t like was it’s perceived reputation, it’s not a funded program, and how much in debt I would be in when I graduate

Nova is a far different program than 10-20+ years ago....and not in a good way. It was already slipping and compromising when I was there back in the early/mid-00's, but greed by the program really drove it into the ground. There are still some solid faculty there, but I've heard there is great variability in regard to the quality of classes, practica training, and mentorship.....which is a huge problem.

Last edited:
I just graduated from Pepperdine's Master in Clinical Psych and I loved it. I respected all of the professors, and the location is great regardless of the campus you choose. I love Denver as well and their psychology program is well-known. However if I could do it all over again I would choose Pepperdine again.

Your daughter should work at making herself competitive for fully-funded programs. Save the tuition money to help her with room and board as she learns and matures during this process. In other words, look into less expensive schools with MA programs that will provide research opportunities. This is coming from someone who paid a lot for a PsyD and hires (and fires) therapists of a variety of stripes.

I put in the negative note on that mainly to emphasize how many clinicians try short-cuts and end up short-changed in their training and experience and perhaps more importantly, personal development, and this leads to a bad outcome for the individual and their patients. Truth is that I rarely have to fire, the more typical outcome is for the individuals coming out of their masters programs to get so overwhelmed that they walk off the job.

follow up to thread - decision: Nova PsyD starts fall 2020

Congratulations. I hope that your daughter came to that decision herself and was not coerced into it through parental pressure.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users