Quantcast

percent comp.

Join BeMo Premed MasterMind Club®
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an unknown sample of KHP, and i need to find the percent comp. I did a titration with NaOH, but i don't know how to find the percent comp. help please!

Paws

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this might sound like a 'dumb' question, but does your textbook have a page devoted to the calculations? Or the lab manual?

It should be pretty straightforward to convert the NaOh amount back to the orginial starting material on a one-to-one basis (I think).

Then take the starting material, plus the 1:1 ration you just established, and the calculate the % composition based on that. You definitely need to recheck your textbook because the calculations should be in there. Or try one of the Schaum's texts for GenChem. They're great.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
nah, i don't have the textbook. i took gen chem last year, but this is quant. the lecture i took last semester, the lab this semester, and so i conveniantly forgot everything. and we don't exactly have a lab manual. he tried to save us some money, so he typed up the labs, sent it off to a print shop and they printed out copies for the 6 of us in there and colated them. so there is no equation sheet.

what i have is the grams of unknown sample, (1.2854), the amount of 1M NaOH it took to titrate it (~29) and that's it.

can i get onto the gen chem textbook website without an ID or anything? the one that i used to use had us type in the book number.

Bad Mojo

Cold as Ice
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Uh-oh, a question concerning a homework assignment...

Beware the wrath of Doctorcynical...

klonoff

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
google.com is amazing. Even if your professor was paper-stingy, many others post theirs online, there are many chemistry help sites, any equation you need should be available online.

I typed in KPD titration calculation and this was the first page the popped up. Looks like it has everything you need.

http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Class/che133/lectures/calc011.html

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by klonoff
google.com is amazing. Even if your professor was paper-stingy, many others post theirs online, there are many chemistry help sites, any equation you need should be available online.

I typed in KPD titration calculation and this was the first page the popped up. Looks like it has everything you need.

http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Class/che133/lectures/calc011.html

thanks for your help. i too scoured the depths of google, typing in different things, and i did manage to find what i needed, actually i found basically the exact same experiment online.