Perfect Mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RoccoWJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard people in here talk about getting 45's on their MCATS. Whats funny is that on the AAMC MCAT statitics page it says that 0% received higher than a 41. Whats going on here?
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/combined03.pdf

Rocco

Members don't see this ad.

Even though it says 0.0% that doesnt mean no ONE got a 45. It just means when the % is calculated and after rounding, you get 0.0%

Say 10 people got a 45. When you calculate the percent, you get 0.017% which rounds to 0.0%.

bump....for some odd reason, my previous post does not seem to be reflected on the threads page, so I'm just bumping to move it to where it should be

Anyone know why this is happening? This is the second time for me and I think someone else had the same problem. Not a big deal, just odd.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me it seems totally likely and probable that, for many MCAT administrations, no one receives a 45. This is because the composite score is not scaled; only the individual subsections are. For someone to get a 15 on all of the subsections is probably close to, if not, unheard of.

The composite scores are scaled to a %tile. Go to the link in the first post.

Rocco

Originally posted by RoccoWJ
The composite scores are scaled to a %tile. Go to the link in the first post.

Rocco
I think you're missing what I'm saying. The MCAT is theoretically designed so that the top scorer in each section should get a 15. That's all. The top taker doesn't automatically get a 45. Only if he/she is the best in all three sections would he/she get a 45. It isn't like the MCAT issues at least one 45 each test, because they don't have to; the composite is not treated such that there must be a 45 and must a 3.

Originally posted by Bones2008
I think you're missing what I'm saying. The MCAT is theoretically designed so that the top scorer in each section should get a 15. That's all. The top taker doesn't automatically get a 45. Only if he/she is the best in all three sections would he/she get a 45. It isn't like the MCAT issues at least one 45 each test, because they don't have to; the composite is not treated such that there must be a 45 and must a 3.

I now understand what you are saying. However, it does not change the fact that the PR said the high was a 42, and others say they got letters in the mail congratulating them on a 45. All I wonder is if the 45's actually happened this year. I mean the % of applicants isn't 0 if someone got a 45. It may be .0004 which could be entered as .04%.

Thats all. But you did make a very good point. Someone out there, though, has to be excellent at all 3 subjects, I would assume.
The individual sections are standaridized not the entire exam, gotcha.

Rocco