Performing OMT, COMLEX Level 2-PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilliamBPitt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm requesting some tips for the OMT portion of the COMLEX Level 2-PE.

1) Did you perform OMT on all of your patients?
2) How much time did you spend performing OMT?
3) Do you need to know techniques for every body part?
4) Did you perform an osteopathic exam on all patients (i.e., palpating the spine for dysfunctions)?
5) Do you have any other tips concerning the OMT portion of the exam (diagnosis, treatment)?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Did you perform OMT on all of your patients?Definitely not. It was really obvious which patients were the OMT patients
2) How much time did you spend performing OMT?3-5 minutes to evaluate, explain what I was doing, treat, and recheck.
3) Do you need to know techniques for every body part?Yep
4) Did you perform an osteopathic exam on all patients (i.e., palpating the spine for dysfunctions)?I didn't and I passed. There wasn't enough time to do an osteopathic exam on each patient. Trust me, it's so obvious which patients are there for OMT.
5) Do you have any other tips concerning the OMT portion of the exam (diagnosis, treatment)?I was really nervous about the OMT, but it was no big deal. I didn't use OMT ever in any of my rotations and I felt really rusty. I just explained the technique and did my best at doing the actual OMT. Don't forget to recheck and ask them if they feel better. If you run out of time and don't have the time to do OMT (didn't happen to me, but it happened to a few people that I know who took the exam), at least mention it to the patient and put it in your SOAP note

Reactions: 1 user
Wow!

That was unbelievably helpful, futureDO32. These are the answers I wanted that I couldn't even really get from medical school faculty/instructors.

There's a lot of material out there to help you with the USMLE portion of these H&P standardized tests, but there's not one specifically geared towards the COMLEX portion (as of right now).

Thanks so much for your quick reply futureDO32. I am eternally indebted to you.:claps::clap::claps::clap::claps::clap:

Anyone else--feel free to add in your two cents to this thread.

Peace.

I probably way over-prepared for the OMM portion of the test, but considering the expense of a fail, I wanted to minimize my chance of failing on the basis of something as silly as OMM. I also tend to go blank in high pressure, timed testing situations, so my prep method was to drill a few cookbook OMM routines for common complaints and then to basically regurgitate them when an appropriate case came up in Philly.

I did do a screening exam on almost every patient, but this usually consisted of little more than quick palpation of the back when auscultating the lungs, eyeballing their spinal curves, and assessing active ROM of the spine. Since others have passed without this, it's probably unnecessary, but again, my philosophy was why take chances, especially since they emphasize that it's an osteopathic test about Q10 minutes during the orientation...

A couple other small points:

Hand sanitizer is now provided in the rooms and is an acceptable (and time saving) alternative to washing hands.

Whatever technique you do, perform it "by the book", and always recheck after performing OMM, but note that they specifically state during orientation that the duration of some OMM treatments (ie counterstrain points) can be abbreviated due to the time constraints of the test. OMM done during the test does not actually have to reach a true therapeutic endpoint to be counted as correct.

OMM Screening Exam
-Observe AP curves for kyphosis, lordosis, scoliosis,
-Observe Active ROM,
-Palpate for hypertonicity, tenderness, viscerosomatic reflexes
Ie- T2-T7 for resp.
T5-9 for upper GI
T10-11 for mid GI
T12-L1 for lower GI

Sample Write Up for OMM Screening
OMM: AP curves WNL, No scoliosis, Lumbar/Thoracic Spine Active ROM WNL, No hypertonicity, spasm or tenderness in viscerosomatic reflex regions/ T2-7/ T5-9

The following were the OMM routines I drilled for each chief complaint. I mostly used ME, a little counterstrain, and threw in the occasional lymphatic technique.

OMM Exam/Tx for Low Back Pain
Ask pt to stand
-Observe AP curves, scoliosis
-Observe Active ROM of lumbar spine
-Check standing flexion
-Walk on Heels,
-Walk on tip toes

Ask pt to sit
-check patellar reflex
-check achilles reflex
-test muscle strength
-test sensation –sharp, dull, 2-point, vibration, proprioception
-palpate thoracic paraspinal muscles
-palpate lumbar paraspinal muscles
-perform spinal segmental testing in thoracic, lumbar spine
-perform seated flexion test
Correct dysfunction with muscle eneregy
-salute rotation
-doc’s arm under for neutral, over for non-neutral

Ask pt to lay back supine
-check straight leg test
-ASIS Compression
-Flop
-Check ASIS
-Check Pubic Symphysis

Check Thomas Test
-tx psoas with muscle energy if needed
Check for Anterior Lumbar Tender Points
-check for anterior lumbar counterstrain points and treat if necessay

Ask pt to turn over prone
-Check PSIS
-check sacral base
-check ILA
-check sacral spring
-check sphinx test
-check for Piriformis counterstrain point and treat if necessary
-Tx Sacrum, Pelvis with ME

OMM for forearm (ie CTS)
Ask pt to sit
-palpate thoracic spine, esp t2-t7
-tx with muscle energy
MFR of forearm

OMM for Cough/SOB
Ask pt to sit
-tx with muscle energy

Ask pt to lie supine

-palpate and open thoracic inlet
-palpate cervical muscles for tension
-tx with muscle energy if needed
-cervical segmental diagnosis

-palpate thoracoabdominal diaphragm
-redome if needed
-palpate ribs
-ME to ribs
Use Rib Raising in thoracic spine

OMM for Abdominal Pain
Ask pt to sit

-palpate thoracic spine, esp t5-t9
-tx with muscle energy

Ask pt to lie supine

-redome if needed

OMM for Headache
Ask pt to lie supine
-OA decompression
-palpate over sinuses
-tx sinuses with efflurage/galbreath if needed
-tx trigeminal w/ inhibition –supraorbital, infraorbital foramen, mental foramen
-palpate tmj
-redome if needed
-screening exam over ribs

OMM for Shoulder
Ask pt to sit
- -palpate thoracic paraspinal muscles
-tx with muscle energy
-Spencer Technique

OMM for URI
Ask pt to lie supine
-palpate over sinuses
-tx trigeminal w/ inhibition –supraorbital, infraorbital foramen, mental foramen

I hope this "guide" might help minimize some anxiety in future test takers.

The thing I found most difficult in preparing for this test was the lack of clear guidelines about exactly what we are expected to perform. It would be nice to have a more information about the specific skills we are responsible for in the Biomedical/Biomechanical Domain, but it seems that the NBOME has not chosen to share this information, so we are left to study USMLE CS books, get advice from students who passed, and guess about what they mean when they say this is a "osteopathic" test.

Good luck to all the future test-takers.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
holy **** dragon...that is waaaay overdoing it..but kudos to you

here is my advice for the PE in general

Advice for students retaking or virgin PE takers:

I passed btw

Did OMM ONLY on the patients who clued me in or mentioned it (being 4 total)...I did paraspinal inhibition, rib raising, Occipital traction, bilateral fulcrum, and thoracic outlet release.
I dont even remember rechecking much...maybe rechecked for some motion but thats pretty much it.

I was the first student out on every patient, honestly I did everything in the room with the patient and I was out in about 5 minutes every time!!! I used the OLDCARTS mnemonic.

I was extremely polite and caring. I showed compassion every time a pt told me their main complaint or mentioned a someone dying.

I totally F'd up one patient, I forgot to do an abdominal exam when it was needed.

I tried to rehearse the patients history to them before I did my PE . I probably did this on 65% of the pts.

Considering I had all the time in the world to do my SOAP note bc I was out of the rooms so quick... I had a stellar SOAP note and strong DDX.

I washed (sanitized) my hands only before the PE after I took my history.

I did lungs/Heart on ALL the patients.

OMM portion....I only did it on the patients that asked for it....I only did OA release, Soft tissue, & rib raising. When I was doing the OMM I explained what I was doing and how it would help them. Out of my OMM patients, I only did 1 Osteo structural exam because it was LBP complaint.

PE: Heart and lungs on everyone....then i did what I felt was warranted.

Just don't get thrown off by some wierd complaints. They will give you some rediculous CC. It turned out to be psych related in my case. It just didn't fit the template of what I expected (e.g. abd pain, CP, etc).

Be nice, wash hands & drape

Good luck

Hello.

4) Did you perform an osteopathic exam on all patients (i.e., palpating the spine for dysfunctions)?
5) Do you have any other tips concerning the OMT portion of the exam (diagnosis, treatment)?

Thank you.

1) No, only the four that mention it. It's really a common misconception that OMT in some form is required of every patient. The OMT portions are graded by physicians watching the video of your encounter so they're going to limit the number necessary as well as make sure you absolutely know whom you should be performing OMT on. I know there are two-way mirrors in each patient room but I have no idea if anyone is actually behind them or not.

2) I don't know, I didn't time myself. I just did the techniques. I'm sure you're not expected to actually do it properly (ie hold for 30 seconds, carry further into the barrier, hold for 30s, etc). Honestly, on the OMT patients I just sorta slipped back into OMT mode from the numerous practical OMT exams we had and didn't pay much attention to what I was doing.

3) Yep because you have no idea what you will get. It's best to pick some simple techniques such as soft tissue and know them for all the major areas. I wouldn't really try to learn the multi-step junk such as spencer. Also not a bad idea to review some of the unique stuff such as the trigiminal thing (forgot what's it called) for sinuses, paraspinal inhibition for abd/pelvic complaints, and some other stuff. You're not graded on how fancy of a technique you used.

4) Not unless I thought it would be useful. OMT exam on a patient with tension headache? Sure, probably useful. OMT exam on a patient with MI or aortic dissection? Nope, probably not. Other than the four patients who were obviously the OMT patients, I think I did an osteopathic exam on two others. So 6/12 patients I did some type of OMT stuff on.

5) Yes, be sure you test, actually perform the treatment, and then RETEST. My testing and retesting consisted of palpating the area for pain/tenderness and asking the pt if his symptoms felt improved after the treatment. I also explained what I was doing during the OMT. Also be sure you do your H&P prior to any OMT.

Also listen to, at minimum, heart and lungs on everyone. Also maybe bowel sounds and abd palpation, just so you can fill in more of the objective part of your SOAP note. Also be prepared to answer silly questions.

You'll be fine as long as you have not received consistent negative feedback on rotations. You've been doing this stuff for at least a year so it's just like another day at the office.

Last edited:
First Off I PASSED the first time on this exam...Hope this helps...

I only did OMM on ONE patient!

Maybe a total of 5 min from checking/screening, then doing ME techniques, and then rechecking...

I went in knowing a ME (muscle energy) technique for 1. Cervical/neck pain 2. Thoracic ME treatment 3. Lumbar ME treatment 4. Sacral Rock 5. Sinuses/TMJ 6. And plantar fasciitis....THATS IT!!! Because all the other things, you can suggest doing OMM after results/tests come back.

NOPE...Not even close! I did do a standing flex test, SB/Rotational testing, and placed my hands on the SI joints on 2 or 3 pts....Thats IT!...I didnt even document it like the above posters...I wrote in the Physical Exam part--Extremities section: Lumbar spine decreased ROM R>L, tender to palpation.

OR I would write something like EXT: cervical spine restricted in movement R>L

And seriously thats it!!

RELAX!!! VERBALLY aka VOCALLY voice your thoughts...mention that OMM treatment may also be another great option for the treatment and that you are going to talk to your attending or get some labs first...whatever and then we may make another apt for you to come in and receive OMT....

WRITE...something about doing OMM or an OMT technique in your Assessment and Plan...I did that for 50% of my patients!! Just be friendly...talk to the patients....Be that awesome doctor you were born to be... :) Good luck guys!

I probably way over-prepared for the OMM portion of the test, but considering the expense of a fail, I wanted to minimize my chance of failing on the basis of something as silly as OMM. I also tend to go blank in high pressure, timed testing situations, so my prep method was to drill a few cookbook OMM routines for common complaints and then to basically regurgitate them when an appropriate case came up in Philly.

I did do a screening exam on almost every patient, but this usually consisted of little more than quick palpation of the back when auscultating the lungs, eyeballing their spinal curves, and assessing active ROM of the spine. Since others have passed without this, it's probably unnecessary, but again, my philosophy was why take chances, especially since they emphasize that it's an osteopathic test about Q10 minutes during the orientation...

A couple other small points:

Hand sanitizer is now provided in the rooms and is an acceptable (and time saving) alternative to washing hands.

Whatever technique you do, perform it "by the book", and always recheck after performing OMM, but note that they specifically state during orientation that the duration of some OMM treatments (ie counterstrain points) can be abbreviated due to the time constraints of the test. OMM done during the test does not actually have to reach a true therapeutic endpoint to be counted as correct.

OMM Screening Exam
-Observe AP curves for kyphosis, lordosis, scoliosis,
-Observe Active ROM,
-Palpate for hypertonicity, tenderness, viscerosomatic reflexes
Ie- T2-T7 for resp.
T5-9 for upper GI
T10-11 for mid GI
T12-L1 for lower GI

Sample Write Up for OMM Screening
OMM: AP curves WNL, No scoliosis, Lumbar/Thoracic Spine Active ROM WNL, No hypertonicity, spasm or tenderness in viscerosomatic reflex regions/ T2-7/ T5-9

The following were the OMM routines I drilled for each chief complaint. I mostly used ME, a little counterstrain, and threw in the occasional lymphatic technique.

OMM Exam/Tx for Low Back Pain
Ask pt to stand
-Observe Active ROM of lumbar spine
-Check standing flexion
-Walk on Heels,
-Walk on tip toes

Ask pt to sit
-check patellar reflex
-check achilles reflex
-test muscle strength
-test sensation –sharp, dull, 2-point, vibration, proprioception
-palpate lumbar paraspinal muscles
-perform spinal segmental testing in thoracic, lumbar spine
-perform seated flexion test
Correct dysfunction with muscle eneregy
-salute rotation
-doc’s arm under for neutral, over for non-neutral

Ask pt to lay back supine
-check straight leg test
-ASIS Compression
-Flop
-Check ASIS
-Check Pubic Symphysis

Check Thomas Test
-tx psoas with muscle energy if needed
Check for Anterior Lumbar Tender Points
-check for anterior lumbar counterstrain points and treat if necessay

Ask pt to turn over prone
-Check PSIS
-check sacral base
-check ILA
-check sacral spring
-check sphinx test
-check for Piriformis counterstrain point and treat if necessary
-Tx Sacrum, Pelvis with ME

OMM for forearm (ie CTS)
Ask pt to sit
-tx with muscle energy
MFR of forearm

OMM for Cough/SOB
Ask pt to sit
-tx with muscle energy

Ask pt to lie supine

-redome if needed
-palpate ribs
-ME to ribs

OMM for Abdominal Pain
Ask pt to sit

-palpate thoracic spine, esp t5-t9
-tx with muscle energy

Ask pt to lie supine

-redome if needed

OMM for Headache
Ask pt to lie supine
-OA decompression
-palpate over sinuses
-palpate tmj
-redome if needed
-screening exam over ribs

OMM for Shoulder
Ask pt to sit
- -palpate thoracic paraspinal muscles
-tx with muscle energy
-Spencer Technique

OMM for URI
Ask pt to lie supine
-palpate over sinuses

I hope this "guide" might help minimize some anxiety in future test takers.

The thing I found most difficult in preparing for this test was the lack of clear guidelines about exactly what we are expected to perform. It would be nice to have a more information about the specific skills we are responsible for in the Biomedical/Biomechanical Domain, but it seems that the NBOME has not chosen to share this information, so we are left to study USMLE CS books, get advice from students who passed, and guess about what they mean when they say this is a "osteopathic" test.

Good luck to all the future test-takers.

Just wanted to say HI!!! Wow..its been a long two years but I remember studying with you on SDN for step 1 and asking so many questions!! You were always such great help!! Best of luck to you man!! :) Killer guide for future CS test takers BTW!

Do you actually have to sit there and wait 90 seconds for a counterstrain technique, or is verbalization (i.e. "I would hold for 90 seconds") merely enough?

THANKS!

Verbalization is enough - but I usually said it like "ok.. and oh good, there's a nice change." But usually you have plenty of time for 30-60 seconds of holding time.

Since they let you do any OMM technique (other than HVLA), can't you technically get away with only Soft Tissue/MFR for any complain?

For instance, if someone comes in with lower back pain, instead of spending all that time doing standing/seated flexion tests, sacral/pelvis diagnosis, ME, etc, can't you just palpate the lower lumbars, document TART changes in L4-L5 (not rotation/sidebending, just TART) , and do some soft tissue stretching?

I am not trying to be lazy, I am just concerned about time.

Thanks for your input!

Since they let you do any OMM technique (other than HVLA), can't you technically get away with only Soft Tissue/MFR for any complain?

For instance, if someone comes in with lower back pain, instead of spending all that time doing standing/seated flexion tests, sacral/pelvis diagnosis, ME, etc, can't you just palpate the lower lumbars, document TART changes in L4-L5 (not rotation/sidebending, just TART) , and do some soft tissue stretching?

I am not trying to be lazy, I am just concerned about time.

Thanks for your input!

That's pretty much what I did.