Perfusion Question

Discussion in 'Clinicians [ RN / NP / PA ]' started by Tylerc, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Tylerc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I heard that PErfusionists are not in high demand, is this true? & i also heard that they will soo n be extinct due to new discoveries, is that also true?

2. foreverLaur

foreverLaur MSN, RN, CNE
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I have a friend who completed this program at Drexel University. He had multiple job offers upon graduating and is making good money. He stayed in Philadelphia and is working at HUP.

3. jwk

jwk CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
    10+ Year Member

The demand for perfusionists seems to have decreased because fewer cases are being done using cardiac bypass. However, not all cases can be done "off-pump" so there will always be a need.

4. core0

core0 Which way is the windmill
    7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Perfusionists here do cell saver and non-cardiac bypass. With the emphasis on not using banked blood that part may increase.

David Carpenter, PA-C

5. drmwvr

10+ Year Member

Non-Student

As the cardiologists do more interventions successfully (ca stenting), pump cases can sag, depending on where you are and the aggressiveness of the cardiologists. Valves need perfusion, that doesn't change. When all those patients have been stented as much as they can be stented, they're coming to the or, sooner or later (or the undertaker's). Perfusion is an entirely viable endeavor.