Perio Programs and applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you very much.i would definitely work on those areas.do you think NBDE part2 counts during admissions.i will be taking part1 in aug. was wondering if I can focus on building my profile right after that and give part2 after submitting my application say aug2014.

Members don't see this ad.

NBDE shouldn't matter so much now since both parts are now pass/fail. When I applied, I hadn't taken the NBDE Part 2 yet, I still got interviews so I don't think it mattered.

Thanks so much for the reply, I do have a few questions and I will PM you about it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Aggie DMD, hie... could you please share your stats? Where r u pursuing your perio residency? I am currently applying to the residencies and is freaking out about the whole process. I have cleared NBDE part1, TOEFL of 108/120, GRE of 295/340, GPA 4.00 and MPH GPA 3.8 and 2nd year MPH student. I have conducted a study in perio field during my dental practice but was not published. Apart from that i have an experience one year of clinical practice and lots of extracurricular activities like dental camps, volunteer work in US and India and teaching experience in US and India. Can i still have a chance this year? I have applied to 12 universities and still thinking for a couple of more. Can you please guide me. Thank you

You sound like a very qualified candidate. I can't speak on behalf of the PD's but your background should get you several interviews. Once at the interview, it's all about your people and communications skills. I know it sounds crazy, but don't stress out too much, you sound like you know what you're doing and you need to trust yourself and all the hard work you have put in to getting this far in your career. I think 12 is a decent number to apply to if you are really worried, but most people I spoke with applied to 5-8. Just breath and apply as early as possible.

Hey Thank you for your support and kind words... I want to ask you something specific hence I PM you. If possible plz reply me soon. Thank you.

Also for others in the group....have you all applied to Perio....did you hear anything? I know its too soon but the wait is killing me. Any info will be appreciated

Can anyone please tell me which perio programs require DAT scores?

Hey perioenthu and tekado
do u mind sharing which all schools did you apply to?

I got an interview at Houston last year and didn't send my DAT scores that's probably a typo

Thanks a lot for your reply. I thought the same. So to clarify, I called the director of advanced education there, she said "whatever is written in PASS is final"
I mailed the chair, he forwarded the email to the same person and this time she said "DAT, NBDE-I and NBDE- II all are needed for application" Infact in PASS its written that NBDE-II is a matriculation requirement. Don't know what to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for your reply. I thought the same. So to clarify, I called the director of advanced education there, she said "whatever is written in PASS is final"
I mailed the chair, he forwarded the email to the same person and this time she said "DAT, NBDE-I and NBDE- II all are needed for application" Infact in PASS its written that NBDE-II is a matriculation requirement. Don't know what to say.

Wow that's strange. My classmate from dental school is a 1st year perio resident there and I'm sure she didn't send her DAT either. I had to take the GRE for my program (Baylor) but that's because it was a requirement of Texas A&M University since that's where the masters degree is conferred from. If anything you just have to send one copy of your DAT scores to PASS and they'll have it on file.

Hey guys, so now we have completed our application.....just to keep a tab of whats happening, is it advisable to be in contact with the program director about the application status? Will it help or have a negative influence?

Wow that's strange. My classmate from dental school is a 1st year perio resident there and I'm sure she didn't send her DAT either. I had to take the GRE for my program (Baylor) but that's because it was a requirement of Texas A&M University since that's where the masters degree is conferred from. If anything you just have to send one copy of your DAT scores to PASS and they'll have it on file.

Is GRE a pre-requisite for most of the perio postgraduate programs? Or does it simply add more value on your application?

Is GRE a pre-requisite for most of the perio postgraduate programs? Or does it simply add more value on your application?

It's means nothing, it's just a requirement of certain universities. 99% of the programs don't require it.

Anyone have any insight on east coast programs? Specifically, I was wondering about NYU, Columbia, and UMDNJ. These three seem pretty large (up to 6 residents for NYU and Columbia) and expensive, does anyone have any feedback?

Did anyone get an invite from UIC College of Dentistry?

The deadline is Aug 31st. And they have started inviting. I am wondering if anyone got any IV from them

Does anyone know how the interview at UIC like? Can anyone share their prior interview experience from that university? Any tips or advice on the type of questions asked and how is the overall attitude of the people there?

Cmon guys................no reply till now! any advice would be appreciated. I would request any resident or anyone who has had any experience with interviewing at UIC to please share their experience. Any input will be beneficial to me.

Cmon guys................no reply till now! any advice would be appreciated. I would request any resident or anyone who has had any experience with interviewing at UIC to please share their experience. Any input will be beneficial to me.

sorry mate don't know about the interview at UIC...but heard the program is quite good
best of luck mate

did other places send interview requests yet or is a bit too early u think ?

sorry mate don't know about the interview at UIC...but heard the program is quite good
best of luck mate

Most places have their deadline as August 1st. Baylor had their interivews today which is one of the earliest. I know San Antonio deadline was this week so most invites will be coming out in the next 3 weeks or so. I noticed the schools through PASS tend to interview a bit later, but that was just my experience. Almost all my interviews where done by mid-August.

best of luck mate

Think it's still early for most programs, especially the PASS ones. Columbia has sent out interview invites for July.

Most places have their deadline as August 1st. Baylor had their interivews today which is one of the earliest. I know San Antonio deadline was this week so most invites will be coming out in the next 3 weeks or so. I noticed the schools through PASS tend to interview a bit later, but that was just my experience. Almost all my interviews where done by mid-August.

thanks for the info mate.

Think it's still early for most programs, especially the PASS ones. Columbia has sent out interview invites for July.

i have only applied for PASS programs to be honest. one of my mates got called up for an interview at Columbia today . i wish i applied there , too late now i suppose.

best of luck mate

I think only UIC and Columbia have sent the interviews! although i do know that OSU does send it early say by end of july!

however does anyone else know how the interview is at UIC? I just wanted to make sure how should i expect that day?

Hi, does anybody have suggestions about the Peio program in U. Connecticut? I hope hear your opinions if you have advise! Thanks a lot!:)

Hi, does anybody have suggestions about the Peio program in U. Connecticut? I hope hear your opinions if you have advise! Thanks a lot!:)

i got an interview coming up there in two weeks..
i actually wanna know as well

guys lets keep this alive !

any interviews coming up ? or any feed back ?

i got called up from BU, TUFTS, USC, UCSF, UCONN

any one else ?

any one else ?

Hey japanmarine..congrats for the interview calls :)
uconn is not through PASS right?

Anyways...mind sharing some stats?

Hey japanmarine..congrats for the interview calls :)
uconn is not through PASS right?

Anyways...mind sharing some stats?

hello am an international trained dentist from japan

NBDE 1 didnt do 2
TOEFL 112/120
GPA 3.5
MSc oral pathology
5 years of experience

how about you where have you applied ?

NBDE 1 didnt do 2
TOEFL 112/120
GPA 3.5
MSc oral pathology
5 years of experience

Oh thats great. MSc oral pathology from US? and 5 years of US dental exp?

I din't apply to much schools....just UCSF, Uconn, UT houston

NBDE 1 didnt do 2
TOEFL 112/120
GPA 3.5
MSc oral pathology
5 years of experience

I am also an foreign trained dentist

any one else ?

Hey when did u get invited for BU and UCONN? would u mind sharing? Also did they tell u by email or through call?

Hey everyone, got 5 interviews so far (UCSF, UAB, Stony Brook, LSU, UT Houston),
Can anyone shine some light on any of the programs, interview process, any pros and cons of the programs if you have visited them before. I know Quatro and a few others have mentions a few things on this thread already. Any input is appreciated, thanks!:D

I didnt have to send them any DAT nor did I take Part II yet, when I called them they told me that they only need me to submit PASS, thats was all thats required at UT Houston

this week by email

I called up at UCONN and Donna Bailey-Gates, the program co-ordinator told me that they havent started inviting at all. Infact they havent even started reviewing...now thats weird that you got an invite!

Hey everyone, got 5 interviews so far (UCSF, UAB, Stony Brook, LSU, UT Houston),
Can anyone shine some light on any of the programs, interview process, any pros and cons of the programs if you have visited them before. I know Quatro and a few others have mentions a few things on this thread already. Any input is appreciated, thanks!:D

congrats on the interviews. From what i ve heard the course at UAB is one of the best of the country, a lot of clinical and surgical experience and great research.

may i ask when did u get the invite , because i am applying there as well :) thank you

congrats on the interviews. From what i ve heard the course at UAB is one of the best of the country, a lot of clinical and surgical experience and great research.

may i ask when did u get the invite , because i am applying there as well :) thank you

Sure, PASS submitted 7/14, completed 7/16/13, Program director called me 7/22/13 to invite for interview invite.

Hey everyone,
I'm glad I found this thread. It's a bit hard to find any information on any perio programs.
I am also in the process of applying into perio. I'm a Canadian applying to 15 programs. I'm currently a 4th yr dental student.
I just mailed out my applications and submitted my PASS on July 23.
I've received invites from the University of Florida and Louisville.
Has anyone heard much about these schools?

I know that the University of Minnesota is a great program and residents do a lot of surgeries. However, they seem to prefer people with GPRs or experience. Some current residents (who applied straight out of dental school) were told that they should re-apply after doing a GPR but I'm not sure what their stats were in dental school.

Hey everyone,
I'm glad I found this thread. It's a bit hard to find any information on any perio programs.
I am also in the process of applying into perio. I'm a Canadian applying to 15 programs. I'm currently a 4th yr dental student.
I just mailed out my applications and submitted my PASS on July 23.
I've received invites from the University of Florida and Louisville.
Has anyone heard much about these schools?

I know that the University of Minnesota is a great program and residents do a lot of surgeries. However, they seem to prefer people with GPRs or experience. Some current residents (who applied straight out of dental school) were told that they should re-apply after doing a GPR but I'm not sure what their stats were in dental school.

hey i too got an invite from Louisville. What date have u selected?