Perio Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thdr2be

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried looking at old threads but I think the times have changed a bit since the most recent ones were posted...

My situation is this: I'll be finished with my second year after summer is over and I've recently decided that Perio has caught my attention. The problem is that my GPA from my first 2 years is not good (talking a 3.0). I have been too nervous to ask for my class rank because I know it's just going to disappoint me. I had a hard time with my work ethic these past two years. Perhaps it was me being lazy, or burnt out, or not really having a clue what I wanted to do after dental school. But I just didn't try enough to get decent grades. I have a D on my record too from a lab class back first year... So disappointing :( With Boards pt 1 being P/F now, I feel like I have even less of a chance getting into a Perio residency, since my 'pass' isn't any better than someone else's.

I spoke with the head of the Perio department at my school today and got some ideas of what I could do to help improve my application. I'm just curious if there is anyone out there with a story similar to mine who got in, or maybe you know someone who did, and how you/they went about the whole process. I'm so discouraged and sad about the whole situation. Definitely wish I would have got my s*** together a long time ago.

Members don't see this ad.

It's okay.. you didn't really want to scrape schmutz off teeth all day anyways did you? jk You won't know unless you try.

hello...
you are welcome in forums site.its very easy way to get information in any field.
but i am not able to give any information regarding your thought.so you can ask from other someone or
should go on
------------------------------
classified website

:scared::confused::rolleyes:;):(:)

I would imagine they will be tickled an american student wants in as most who apply are foreign trained dentists trying to backdoor their way into a dds.

shadow the graduate perio department the next summer and improve your chances.

ask yourself why youd like to pursue perio. How do you feel about the job prospects for a new perio and where the specialty has been heading for the past decade? Please share what youve learned for the other aspiring perios im sure are lurking here.

Last edited: