1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Periodic Table for PCAT??

Discussion in 'PCAT Discussions' started by DazedMD, Aug 1, 2006.

1. DazedMD

DazedMD Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm tutoring a student for the PCAT and am curious if the chemistry periodic table will be given.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. highlyfavored

highlyfavored obligated to serve God...
    5+ Year Member

nope

4. kvl1027

kvl1027 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    No it is not given and you will not need it.

5. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member
    5+ Year Member

By saying you don't need them do you mean that you should just have the stuff memorized (ie oxidation number, atomic wt of the main elements) or that if you do need that sort of thing, they'll just tell you what it is so you can do your own calculations? Which brings me to another question, is every calculation done by hand--no calculators? *edit* Sorry, just saw in the FAQ that calculators are not allowed.
    Thanks.

6. ageldred

ageldred Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    What you need for the problems is given in the question.

7. kvl1027

kvl1027 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Everything you need to do the problem is given in regards to oxidation number etc. The Compounds they use are simple. You should know the atonic wt of atoms they use, carbon oxygen, nitrogen, etc..

No calculators, everything is done by hand. But like i said nothign is really complicated by way of calculations, there werent even a lot of calculations if I remember correctly. MOst of the Chem questions are concept based. Also remember that time is your biggest enemy on the PCAT. Know the concepts well enough so that you can narrow your choices down just by reading and understanding the question. Good luck!

8. fudgebrownie

fudgebrownie New Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I encountered several questions on the June test that required knowledge of periodic table, e.g., atomic numbers from the first three periods (and NOT from the most familiar elements).

This was really frustrating because: 1) I was led to believe all pertinent info would be included within the question and did not bother to memorize atomic #'s from transitional elements, and 2) Those questions were extremely easy if I had only known the atomic # for the element in question.

I will be better prepared for October test.

9. savvysearch

savvysearch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes, you will need to know atleast the first two rows of the periodic table. I was ask a couple of questions that required knowledge of it.

10. Serenity Now!!!

Serenity Now!!! DOIN' the Damned thing!
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    First two Families/columns not Rows/periods...OP should also know periodic trends but you dont need to go overboard