Personal Gap Year Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeanutButter1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked at a myriad of other forums for gap year advice; however, none of them have talked about what I am thinking about doing. Let me explain.

In the spring of 2016, I will complete all of my prerequisites (besides biochem, which I will self-study), will take the MCAT in April, and then I will apply for medical schools. However, this leaves me with a huge gap year of time. I tried applying for a good job, but I live in a very small town, and life science degrees aren't really what employers are looking for. I have been unsuccessful at getting a job over minimum wage.

Therefore, during that time, I thought about obtaining a Master's of Arts in Teaching with a middle school science focus. The program is only one year, and I will be finished with the program before medical school begins. Because acceptance into medical school is very low (45-50%), I feel that having a back up career planned is crucial. Also, I feel that if I do get into medical school, I could use my teaching degree to possibly work at a teaching medical center or use it retire into a medical school faculty position.

Will you guys let me know if you think that this is a good idea? Also, if you need more information, feel free to ask me questions, and I will be more than happy to respond.

Love,
PB.

Members don't see this ad.

I have looked at a myriad of other forums for gap year advice; however, none of them have talked about what I am thinking about doing. Let me explain.

In the spring of 2016, I will complete all of my prerequisites (besides biochem, which I will self-study), will take the MCAT in April, and then I will apply for medical schools. However, this leaves me with a huge gap year of time. I tried applying for a good job, but I live in a very small town, and life science degrees aren't really what employers are looking for. I have been unsuccessful at getting a job over minimum wage.

Therefore, during that time, I thought about obtaining a Master's of Arts in Teaching with a middle school science focus. The program is only one year, and I will be finished with the program before medical school begins. Because acceptance into medical school is very low (45-50%), I feel that having a back up career planned is crucial. Also, I feel that if I do get into medical school, I could use my teaching degree to possibly work at a teaching medical center or use it retire into a medical school faculty position.

Will you guys let me know if you think that this is a good idea? Also, if you need more information, feel free to ask me questions, and I will be more than happy to respond.

Love,
PB.

Some medical schools actually require at least a semester of biochemistry. I would actually look into taking a biochemistry class before taking the MCAT.

I think it is a good idea to have backup plans, just in case, but it honestly depends on your MCAT and GPA for DO schools. If you have good grades and MCAT, your likelihood of getting an acceptance is great.

Some medical schools actually require at least a semester of biochemistry. I would actually look into taking a biochemistry class before taking the MCAT.

I think it is a good idea to have backup plans, just in case, but it honestly depends on your MCAT and GPA for DO schools. If you have good grades and MCAT, your likelihood of getting an acceptance is great.

I understand that some schools require it. However, none of the schools that I am applying to require it.

That's the thing though, I won't really know if I will get accepted or not. There are no guarantees.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that some schools require it. However, none of the schools that I am applying to require it.

That's the thing though, I won't really know if I will get accepted or not. There are no guarantees.

Of course. If you have good stats and cast a wide net (apply to as many DO schools) as you can, and apply early, your chances of acceptance increases dramatically. There are plenty of people on this site with low GPA and low MCAT scores who get accepted. It is difficult to say anything right now without your MCAT score and GPA.

Love,
PB.

I don't think an MA in teaching will help you any with getting a med school faculty position. For that I'd imagine you'd need a degree in the field (MD or DO) or, for a more prestigious position, a PhD with an extensive research background.

I'd suggest creating a thread on the WAMC forums. While you don't yet have your MCAT score, I'm sure you can still get a good idea of where you stand for med school admission.

Even if the schools you are applying to don't require BioChem...1) it is a highly testable subject on the MCAT and 2) who's to say that the programs you are applying to won't change their policy about BioChem? It wouldn't be a horrible investment.

Acceptance all depends on your stats + interviews. You'll have a better idea of your likelihood of acceptance once you have that MCAT score.
Honestly, I avoided biochem at all costs in college. Got into a great DO school without any problems and am actually doing pretty well in my biochem course right now. So don't stress too much about that one.

For the gap year, if it makes the most sense for you to stay at home and save some money (even if it's from a minimum wage job) then do it! Try to find a hospital or local office where you can volunteer or shadow to keep up the clinical experiences to talk about during interviews if need be. I took a gap year and did absolutely nothing medically related - I worked in retail and also coached, best year off ever. But, I had sufficient enough clinical experience from college, that I thought the year without clinical wouldn't hurt me. Making that decision was a gamble, but it all worked out.

I don't think an MA in teaching will help you any with getting a med school faculty position. For that I'd imagine you'd need a degree in the field (MD or DO) or, for a more prestigious position, a PhD with an extensive research background.

I would obtain my MD/DO and also have the MA in teaching.

Even if the schools you are applying to don't require BioChem...1) it is a highly testable subject on the MCAT and 2) who's to say that the programs you are applying to won't change their policy about BioChem? It wouldn't be a horrible investment.

I literally don't have any money left, and my current school doesn't even offer biochemistry.

I took a gap year and did absolutely nothing medically related - I worked in retail and also coached, best year off ever.

Just out of curiosity, what were you going to do if you didn't get accepted? Even if you applied multiple times. My main concern is that my GPA is a little on the low side (somewhere between 3.6-3.7 with 2 C's.), and I haven't even taken the MCAT yet.

Just out of curiosity, what were you going to do if you didn't get accepted? Even if you applied multiple times. My main concern is that my GPA is a little on the low side (somewhere between 3.6-3.7 with 2 C's.), and I haven't even taken the MCAT yet.

Your GPA is actually higher than average...I got into the top-tier DO schools with GPAs lower than that. I also had a couple C's. If you were applying MD, then it would be iffy, but for DO, it would be no problem. No DO school has an average GPA of higher than a 3.7ish.

All you really need is a good MCAT score. If you get above 508 you are pretty much GUARANTEED admission to at least a DO school with that GPA, even if you didn't interview super well. Just don't have red flags like IA's, arrests, bad LORs, etc. Even if you didn't get a super good MCAT score, new schools will still love to take you with that GPA. BCOM's average GPA is only 3.5, and MCAT 25. Just apply early.

I'm not sure really why you're worried about not gaining admission. Now, if your GPA was around 3.2, and you had a 26 MCAT, then you would be in the "maybe" pile. At that point there still may be a possibility you should consider a backup plan.

I had above 30 MCAT, and I got accepted to every school I interviewed at. Take the MCAT first, then you will know if you really need backup plans.

As for your "gap year," I would probably just look for a job instead of sinking more money into a master's program if medicine is truly your passion. You can always retake the MCAT if you don't do so well the first time.

Last edited:
I'm not sure really why you're worried about not gaining admission. Now, if your GPA was around 3.2, and you had a 26 MCAT, then you would be in the "maybe" pile.

My main worry is that my science gpa is around 3.1-3.3. Here are some of my stats for it.

BioI: A
BioII:B
Chem1:B
Chem2: D (Retake was a B)
Organic I: F (Retake was an A)

Last edited:
My main worry is that my science gpa is around 3.1-3.3. Here are some of my stats for it.

BioI: A
BioII:B
Chem1:B
Chem2: D (Retake was a B)
Organic I: F (Retake was an A)
A and P I: C
And P II: B
Statistics: A
Microbiology: B+
Genetics: C
Cardiovascular Science: B+
First Aid: B
Medical Terminology: A-
Physics I: A
Human Sexuality: A
Nutrition: A-
Physical Science: A

And I will take Physics II and Organic II next semester.

Let me know what you guys think and feel free to give me extra information on whatever you want to talk about concerning my situation and what you think of getting my masters and my current grades and my future MCAT scores and future career plans.

Sincerely,
Peanut Butter

What happened to organic chemistry I if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
I had several deaths in the family, and I also had a major surgery done. Combine this with a semester of 3 science classes and taking the max amount of credits that are allowed was not a good combination.

What happened to organic chemistry I if you don't mind me asking?

I had several deaths in the family, and I also had a major surgery done. Combine this with a semester of 3 science classes and taking the max amount of credits that are allowed was not a good combination.

Well, you can certainly retake some courses you didn't do well in to try to boost that sGPA.

Instead of going to a Master's Program, you can retake some classes at your local CC. The grades in those classes will replace the ones you did poorly in, like Genetics and A&P.