Personal reasons for attending a school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

susan96

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ok to mention reasons like family/friends/bf living in the area as a reason that you are interested in a school? My boyfriend living in a certain state makes a school in that state a top choice, but I'm not sure if that is a good reason to put on the applications...

Members don't see this ad.

Nah, I don't think that bf thing is good to put on the application. I'd recommend looking up some info on the hospital or school in amsar, finding something that makes it unique and putting that on the application. Schools love it when you know a little something extra about them. It's like meeting a girl ya wanna hook up with, you gotta find something different about them that you say you like, or have in common with. And maybe they'll give you a call.

I have done the research and mentioned other reasons for attending the school. Is it bad to still include that fact, because it is true (but not the only thing I would put down)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe if you married or engaged or dating seriously for some long time. But if for like a year or two I wouldn't mention it. That's just me though.

I didn't include those reasons in my personal statement, but if it comes up in the interview (please, please let me get some interviews!!) I'll mention it.

I'm from Houston and would love to get in at either UTH or UTMB in Galveston. My husband has a really good job here and my entire immediate and extended families live here. I have a really good support system, and would hate to lose that if I have to move to a different city. But I would if I had to.

But, that being said, I am married and it might look different to the adcoms for the situation to involve a boyfriend. I'm not saying a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship can't be as serious to the couple involved as marriage, but the adcoms might view it that way.

aidan73 said:
I didn't include those reasons in my personal statement, but if it comes up in the interview (please, please let me get some interviews!!) I'll mention it.

I'm from Houston and would love to get in at either UTH or UTMB in Galveston. My husband has a really good job here and my entire immediate and extended families live here. I have a really good support system, and would hate to lose that if I have to move to a different city. But I would if I had to.

But, that being said, I am married and it might look different to the adcoms for the situation to involve a boyfriend. I'm not saying a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship can't be as serious to the couple involved as marriage, but the adcoms might view it that way.

I agree and even think that some will look down on you for saying you want to be somewhere for a boyfriend. Even if your relationship is serious, people assume it's not if you refer to that person as a boyfriend. And some people may lose respect for you if they think you're willing to turn your life around for a boyfriend. Never mind that it would be different if it were a husband. You could opt to call him your "partner", which to some people implies more seriousness and is often used by people who are together longterm with serious commitment but absolutely no intention of getting married...To make a long story short, I'd just leave the boyfriend term out of your discussions because the first thing some might think when they hear that as your reason for going there is "well what happens to this person when or if they break up? will she still want to be in our school or will she want to transfer?" Lump him into the term "family."

Good luck.

I would tend to agree. I am in the situation where I am starting med school in a few days but my fiancee is a year behind and in the middle of applying. We talked to my dean about it, and he seemed to suggest that the word boy/girlfriend is a big no no in these situations. He said that unless there's serious long term committment, he can't really see why that would make a difference in the admissions process. Even then, he said she's still going to have to stand on her own merits just like everyone else. The only way it would help is if they are considering two very similar applicants, the relationship might give her the edge in that case.

It's a tough situation to be in, so best of luck to you. I know my fingers are going to be crossed for the next few months. That's going to make it tough to get through anatomy I bet;)

thanks for the good advice :oops: