Personal Score Report Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

goheels211

I had a question about older PCAT scores and how they translate now...

I took the PCAT back in Oct of 2007. While I didn't knock it out of the park, my composite was 79%. Anyway, I had to put off applying and now I'm not so sure about how accurate this percentile may be.

Since they have "re-normed" tests that were taken before June 2008 I assume this means that my scores probably have gone down from what they were originally reported.

My question, or maybe just my gripe, is how do I know what my "real" scores are now? I saw on Pearson's website that I can request to have a Personal Score Report sent to me for old test results but it's $20. So, I just wanted to check, does this mean that in order to know how I did (based on the new norm) I have to pay Pearson $20 to tell me? I'm assuming this is true but still, wow...not only did they not inform me of this (I just happened upon it because I need to request my old test score for applying), but to charge me just to find out what the re-normed score is now is just adding insult to injury (especially if the scores went down).

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of anyone's scores being changed. When they update the norm groups, that doesn't affect the score you got prior. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I bet they are going to charge you but you can ask the helpful Pearson's customer service people. I had to call them once and they were surprisingly useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes your score WILL change. its probably around a 74% now. and unlucky for us paying customers, you have to pay the 20$ to see what it really changed to. I promise you that your score went down...it sucks and they did not let any one know of this change.

they are a business that will squeeze every dime out of you...but hey, we have no other choice...good luck

That sucks. That doesn't make sense to me. Why don't they just keep the norm groups updated test by test?
They didn't have the '04-'07 norm group until 2008? So before then, they were compared to people who took the test before 2004 when it was much easier? If anyone knows, please explain.

That sucks. That doesn't make sense to me. Why don't they just keep the norm groups updated test by test?
They didn't have the '04-'07 norm group until 2008? So before then, they were compared to people who took the test before 2004 when it was much easier? If anyone knows, please explain.

If you took the PCAT before June 2008, you were compared to the previous norm group (people who took the test for the first time from 1998-2003)

I understand the concept behind updating scores but still...if you took a class and got a 93 (the lowest grade for an A usually) then a school doesn't go back and change old grades if they change the grading scale to have 95 as the lowest A for whatever reason 2 years later.

Thanks for the responses. I just feel bad for those who took the pcat January 2008...you get your scores @ the end of March only to have them change it 3 months later AND require you to pay them to know what your updated score is now...lame