Personal Statement Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpa19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! So I am in the process of writing my personal statement. I've been seeing a lot of different information on the internet. Is it better to tell a story that conveys characteristics that show you'd be a good doctor or write about your motivation to be a doctor? What do admissions want to see? I would really appreciate any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Why Medicine? Tell me. (in a way that's personal to you)

The more you make it your story and less about what admissions want to see -> the stronger it will be.

I would say more than just “tell me”. Show me what you’ve done that tells me that this is the right field for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! So I am in the process of writing my personal statement. I've been seeing a lot of different information on the internet. Is it better to tell a story that conveys characteristics that show you'd be a good doctor or write about your motivation to be a doctor? What do admissions want to see? I would really appreciate any advice!

i don't think it's possible to do one w/o the other... when you talk about your motivation, you're going to talk about experiences you've had and you want to mention what you learned from those experiences, how it helped you grow as a person, what you learned, etc. so you'll also be touching on characteristics you have that will help you out in the future

Reactions: 1 user

Definitely "show don't tell." The person above that said "show me what you've done" is right on the money! Why you want to be a doctor is the question to answer. Read some books about writing a personal statement for med school to get the ideas and juices flowing, there's plenty of them you can find with a google search.