Personal Statement example

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamingDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed a lot of people looking for examples of personal statements on this forum, but I haven't seen anyone actually post their own. Since I've already been accepted this cycle, I figured it couldn't hurt to post my own PS that I used this application cycle. I understand no one will have the same PS, but it may help you have an idea of how to angle yours. Most of the examples I have found online have been from people who have traveled on medical trips to different countries, cared for sick parents, or who have other unique stories that I can't even relate to in the slightest. I realize I am far from a traditional applicant, but hopefully this will help someone who doesn't have the slightest clue where to start. I posted my full personal statement in my blog, and the link can be found below.

http://www.aspiringminoritydoctor.com/2014/03/my-personal-statement-for-medical-school.html

Also, if anyone wants to share their own, please feel free to post. Maybe we can get a full spectrum of examples going.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
congrats on acceptance! mind sharing stats?

Thanks! Undergrad GPA <2.5, graduate GPA 3.7, and 4 retakes of the MCAT with highest score 22. I'm definitely an exception to the norm and a complete underdog. If you want more detailed info, it's in my blog.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgot to add that this may be most helpful to those with low stats who are looking for a way to address them without sounding too negative.

Great story - glad to hear you got accepted. Surely going to be a superb doc someday!

Reactions: 1 user
Where were you accepted btw?

I started this thread a while ago. I'm currently in my second year at GA-PCOM. Everything you want to know about my journey through the application process and up until now can be found on my blog.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story. I also struggled with MCAT and thus I wanted to ask how was your M1 and M2 years so far? I've heard once from one of the Deans of Osteopathic schools, that MCAT score is essentially best predictor how would students do in med.school and how will they pass boards. I am a bit terrified after hearing that, but now I can see that you are very successful student and probably that Dean was just making very generalized statement. Can you share some thoughts on it? Thank you.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story. I also struggled with MCAT and thus I wanted to ask how was your M1 and M2 years so far? I've heard once from one of the Deans of Osteopathic schools, that MCAT score is essentially best predictor how would students do in med.school and how will they pass boards. I am a bit terrified after hearing that, but now I can see that you are very successful student and probably that Dean was just making very generalized statement. Can you share some thoughts on it? Thank you.

I just started board prep a few weeks ago, and I don't take my exams until June, so I won't be able to tell you how well the MCAT correlates with boards until the summer. When it comes to comparing the MCAT with how well you will do in your classes, that is pure BS in my opinion. I've done pretty well in my courses (in addition to balancing many extracurricular activities while being a single mother), and studying for courses is pretty much studying for boards since the same material will be tested. I might be a huge outlier, but imo, the MCAT is a completely useless exam and will have no bearing on your success as a medical student. It's pretty much just another hoop to jump through in the admissions process. This comes from the experience of just one person though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Are you sure posting this is okay? Seems like plagiarism bait.
I noticed a lot of people looking for examples of personal statements on this forum, but I haven't seen anyone actually post their own. Since I've already been accepted this cycle, I figured it couldn't hurt to post my own PS that I used this application cycle. I understand no one will have the same PS, but it may help you have an idea of how to angle yours. Most of the examples I have found online have been from people who have traveled on medical trips to different countries, cared for sick parents, or who have other unique stories that I can't even relate to in the slightest. I realize I am far from a traditional applicant, but hopefully this will help someone who doesn't have the slightest clue where to start. I posted my full personal statement in my blog, and the link can be found below.

http://www.aspiringminoritydoctor.com/2014/03/my-personal-statement-for-medical-school.html

Also, if anyone wants to share their own, please feel free to post. Maybe we can get a full spectrum of examples going.

Are you sure posting this is okay? Seems like plagiarism bait.

I don't think this is very good to post something this personal, along with her actual name, age and school where she's attending...

She should at least hide her name in a public blog like that. Showing her personal statement is fine as long as it can't be attached to a specific person.

Last edited:
I don't think this is very good to post something this personal, along with her actual name, age and school where she's attending...

She should at least hide her name in a public blog like that. Showing her personal statement is fine as long as it can't be attached to a specific person.

It would take a pretty bold (and somewhat slow) person to plagiarize my PS which is pretty unique to me and has received thousands of views since I first posted it almost 2 years ago.

As for the hiding my name part, when I first started my blog I was pretty anonymous. I decided to change all of that when I started doing interviews and getting involved with things on a national level. Plus, to be honest, it's not hard to find out who is who on the internet anyway, even when they think they're being "anonymous". Because of this, I don't worry about having my PS tied to me since it would be pretty easy for anyone who knows me to figure it out anyway. A lot of people at my school (including members of administration) are well aware of my blog, and I don't post anything that I feel is inappropriate.

The whole point of starting this thread was to give a different perspective when it comes to writing a PS. Your personal statement should be exactly what it says it is, PERSONAL. If you feel like you're plagiarizing or sounding like someone else, then maybe it's a good sign to change it up and show the admissions committee how you stick out and can add something unique to their school.

Reactions: 1 user
It would take a pretty bold (and somewhat slow) person to plagiarize my PS which is pretty unique to me and has received thousands of views since I first posted it almost 2 years ago.

As for the hiding my name part, when I first started my blog I was pretty anonymous. I decided to change all of that when I started doing interviews and getting involved with things on a national level. Plus, to be honest, it's not hard to find out who is who on the internet anyway, even when they think they're being "anonymous". Because of this, I don't worry about having my PS tied to me since it would be pretty easy for anyone who knows me to figure it out anyway. A lot of people at my school (including members of administration) are well aware of my blog, and I don't post anything that I feel is inappropriate.

The whole point of starting this thread was to give a different perspective when it comes to writing a PS. Your personal statement should be exactly what it says it is, PERSONAL. If you feel like you're plagiarizing or sounding like someone else, then maybe it's a good sign to change it up and show the admissions committee how you stick out and can add something unique to their school.

I agree with you. I'm just trying to protect you. Even in the future, you might not want your patients to know about your personal life, especially those who may end up having a grudge against you. After all, it is posted for the public to see.

Physicians get patients who hold a grudge against them often, so it is important to protect yourself as much as possible and expose yourself as little as possible.

Also, while applicants may not plagiarize from you, they may still use your ideas and just word them differently about themselves. If you're okay with that, then that's fine. I personally would just let my closest friends/family see my personal statement.

Last edited: