personal statement for second-time application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone faced the question of what to write in the personal statement when reapplying? The websites usually write something along the line of: "tell us what has happened to you in the last year". If anyone has written such a statement, and would like to share it with me (privately), i would be most grateful

Members don't see this ad.

I honestly don't plan to highlight the fact that I applied before. Hopefully the professors I am contacting will remember our interactions from last year and appreciate my continued interest in their work, but otherwise I'm not doing anything differently (except, you know, submitting my application with higher grades, more research experience, and a more focused statement of interest.)

Is there a reason you think it's necessary to say you've applied before in your SOI?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, there's no reason at all to mention it. If people remember you, they'll mention it to you through correspondence or at interviews (but they may not-- memories are fallible).

Ya, I don't plan on mentioning it either. If they remember that I applied last year, they can ask me... If they don't remember me, I am sure not going to red flag myself.

I'd rather us the space on the PS to talk about my accomplishments and goals and research, rather than my 'failures' or 'set backs'.

i understand what you are all saying, but some schools, especially those with a more clinical orientation, want you to write what has changed since the last year. i have a statement from last year which i was pretty happy with, and i'll probably use it with a few adjustments in all the schools i haven't applied to yet. My thought are regarding 3 schools where i applied and was interviewed last year. they will definitely remember me.
if anyone has any suggestions, i'd be happy to hear