Personal Statement Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JennieLeigh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question for all of you future DO's out there...

On the AACOMAS application there is a section for personal statements....is that a general reason of why medicine, why osteopathic? What about the secondaries...are those essays different?

I am so confused.

Any help would be great!

Jennie
:D

Members don't see this ad.

The Personal Comments: why osteopathic?

Each secondary app will have its own essay or two. But they basically all have the same question WHY Osteo? and WHY THIS SCHOOOL?

AK

For my personal statement on AACOMAS, I wrote about a patient I had encountered and used that to discuss my motivation for becoming a doctor. (Oh, there's a word limit and it really makes you streamline what you write)

For the personal essays attached to the secondary applications, I opened it by talking about the first baby I ever delivered and then (again) discussed why I want to be a doctor, gave a quick explanation for some past bad grades, and then explained why I wanted to go to THAT school and why I felt I would be a good fit there.

I recommend working on your essays as soon as possible, they were the hardest part of the applications for me. And, don't forget, you are your best advocate, so stay positive, enthusiastic, and original.

Good luck!
Missy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Small suggestion, BE UNIQUE!!! :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Popoy:
•Small suggestion, BE UNIQUE!!! :) •••••0

Big suggestion, BE UNIQUE!!! :D

I actually bought a book to help me with writing my personal statement. It helped, but not too much. In my personal statement, I basically said why I wanted to be a doctor and how my voluteer/work expreiences played into that. I didn't actually discuss too much about osteopathy. The secondaries mainly asked "why osteopathy" and "why our school." And I second (or third) the comment about being unique. Also, have someone read over your statement before hitting "send" on your application. It also helps if you read it out loud to catch mistakes you didn't see.

-Anna

I also used a personal experience I had to explain my motivation for medicine. I also used examples of people who have been inspirational to me especially in osteopathic medicine. I talked a litte about my work experience and how that has reinforced my goal of becoming a doctor. I also discussed the fact that I have seen both the good and bad sides to the profession and how difficult a profession it is, yet I still believe that becoming a doc is right for me. I hope that helps. I tend to use cliched phrases like "inspirational" and "goal of becoming a doctor" and "childlike amazement" and that sort of cheesy dialogue, which ive heard is not recommended, but I like using them so who cares. Pour your heart out and be genuine, they will like it. Most interviewers don't have access to your personal statement in the interviews so keep that in mind too.