Personal Statement Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no idea where to begin. I know it's important to answer "Why do you want to be a physician?" but what else are we supposed to put in it?

Edit: Have a first draft done. Looking for anyone willing to take a look! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no idea where to begin. I know it's important to answer "Why do you want to be a physician?" but what else are we supposed to put in it?

tell them things that make you unique, what you have experienced and what influenced you to go into medicine. Make it a unique story, something they will remember after reading.

Members don't see this ad :)

DO NOT SAY THIS. They know you want to be a physician. It's about the story, the trials, the experiences, your interests, your passion. What event sparked your interest and why. Your adventures, your journey, your travels, your hobbies, etc.

They read thousands of essays to pick the few for interviews. Be that person who gets a WOW at the end of the read. You want to be remembered in a sea of applicants.

and have the PS readers go over it... If a person you don't know likes it, chances are an adcom will too... if they don't, chances are the adcom will toss it... Having people you know read for content is unwise, IMHO...

DO NOT SAY THIS. They know you want to be a physician. It's about the story, the trials, the experiences, your interests, your passion. What event sparked your interest and why. Your adventures, your journey, your travels, your hobbies, etc.

They read thousands of essays to pick the few for interviews. Be that person who gets a WOW at the end of the read. You want to be remembered in a sea of applicants.

Very well put. Follow this, OP.

Agreed. Follow this and you will have a well thought out essay.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

and have the PS readers go over it... If a person you don't know likes it, chances are an adcom will too... if they don't, chances are the adcom will toss it... Having people you know read for content is unwise, IMHO...

Very well put. Follow this, OP.

Agreed. Follow this and you will have a well thought out essay.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Ok thank you for the input. I'll hopefully be able to put out a rough draft by the end of next week. Need this weekend to focus on studying for finals.

This is my essay I wrote for Residency when I thought I was going to be a general surgeon which is why the surgical angle. However, the format is the same for the medical school essay. Be sure you keep it at one page. Cut out all the busy words. Be concise in your meaning.
Intro
The event that sparked your interest
Your vision of yourself or your trials or dreams or interests, etc
Conclusion

My roots are in Bush Alaska. I grew up 100 miles from nowhere deep in the wilderness. My youth was spent peeling logs for my mom's cabin, cooking meals over a campfire, skiing under the Northern Lights, running a dog team on the back trails, packing water, and keeping a lookout for bears and moose. Medical care is scarce and injuries on the Frontier can quickly lead to sepsis and death. Patients have to be flown from the village to the main hospital – if they make it that long. I understand the logistics, the people, the land. I have a sense of community, family and desire to return to Alaska, my home, where my personal journey began to become a rural surgeon.
The first time I set foot in the operating room I knew it was for me. The cold steel of the instruments, the patient on the table draped and prepped as to hide us all from the person underneath. The circulator watches me to see if my sterile field is maintained and the tech warns me not to touch the Mayo stand. There is a sense of intrusion being the student, a disruption of the flow; trying not to be in the way yet wanting to see and feel and hear everything about the case. The first surgeon I worked with, a man of few words, quick with the knife and short on praise. Wild Bill they call him, trained in Vietnam, with uncombed hair and no time for talk. After the usual round of anatomy questions about the abdomen he asks me to name the stomachs of the cow. Fortunately for me it was the one thing I remembered from comparative anatomy. Silence fell after I answered only to be broken by a gruff, "Hand the girl a needle". I sewed on every patient after that, it was understood. It was wonderful. It was more than I hoped for.
Surgery residency for me needs to be very simple. No fluffy academic research or exceptional monetary gain. Bare bones, hard core technique, lots of OR experience and plenty of hands on patient care. I assume that I will end up in being the only surgeon for thousands of square miles and need the skills to take care of those patients you never see in training. Isolation requires competence, confidence, and the ability to improvise. My anesthesia rotation I asked for the same – to be able to intubate and put in a central line without hesitation. I expect it of myself to know what to do – there will be no one else.
Professionally I plan to gain expertise in general surgery to be able to travel the globe and provide service. I already have a sponsor to fund work for Operation Smile and plan to go to the fistula hospital in Ethiopia. I recognize the extreme need for physicians globally, not just in Alaska. I have a soft place for the indigent and elderly but do not advocate welfare for those who abuse the system. My philosophy stems from my mother's words, "If you know someone is hungry, make them a sandwich. There is plenty to go around. The truly needy will be thankful".
My journey began as a far away dream in the wilderness and came to be with the support of some extremely talented, motivated, caring physicians who care for the vast diversity of people in Alaska. I am proud of where I came from and know that someday I will join the ranks of my mentors out there in the scrub. Got to go. The helicopter is landing.

Questions? You want them to WANT to meet you because you sound that cool.

This is my essay I wrote for Residency when I thought I was going to be a general surgeon which is why the surgical angle. However, the format is the same for the medical school essay. Be sure you keep it at one page. Cut out all the busy words. Be concise in your meaning.
Intro
The event that sparked your interest
Your vision of yourself or your trials or dreams or interests, etc
Conclusion

My roots are in Bush Alaska. I grew up 100 miles from nowhere deep in the wilderness. My youth was spent peeling logs for my mom's cabin, cooking meals over a campfire, skiing under the Northern Lights, running a dog team on the back trails, packing water, and keeping a lookout for bears and moose. Medical care is scarce and injuries on the Frontier can quickly lead to sepsis and death. Patients have to be flown from the village to the main hospital – if they make it that long. I understand the logistics, the people, the land. I have a sense of community, family and desire to return to Alaska, my home, where my personal journey began to become a rural surgeon.
The first time I set foot in the operating room I knew it was for me. The cold steel of the instruments, the patient on the table draped and prepped as to hide us all from the person underneath. The circulator watches me to see if my sterile field is maintained and the tech warns me not to touch the Mayo stand. There is a sense of intrusion being the student, a disruption of the flow; trying not to be in the way yet wanting to see and feel and hear everything about the case. The first surgeon I worked with, a man of few words, quick with the knife and short on praise. Wild Bill they call him, trained in Vietnam, with uncombed hair and no time for talk. After the usual round of anatomy questions about the abdomen he asks me to name the stomachs of the cow. Fortunately for me it was the one thing I remembered from comparative anatomy. Silence fell after I answered only to be broken by a gruff, "Hand the girl a needle". I sewed on every patient after that, it was understood. It was wonderful. It was more than I hoped for.
Surgery residency for me needs to be very simple. No fluffy academic research or exceptional monetary gain. Bare bones, hard core technique, lots of OR experience and plenty of hands on patient care. I assume that I will end up in being the only surgeon for thousands of square miles and need the skills to take care of those patients you never see in training. Isolation requires competence, confidence, and the ability to improvise. My anesthesia rotation I asked for the same – to be able to intubate and put in a central line without hesitation. I expect it of myself to know what to do – there will be no one else.
Professionally I plan to gain expertise in general surgery to be able to travel the globe and provide service. I already have a sponsor to fund work for Operation Smile and plan to go to the fistula hospital in Ethiopia. I recognize the extreme need for physicians globally, not just in Alaska. I have a soft place for the indigent and elderly but do not advocate welfare for those who abuse the system. My philosophy stems from my mother's words, "If you know someone is hungry, make them a sandwich. There is plenty to go around. The truly needy will be thankful".
My journey began as a far away dream in the wilderness and came to be with the support of some extremely talented, motivated, caring physicians who care for the vast diversity of people in Alaska. I am proud of where I came from and know that someday I will join the ranks of my mentors out there in the scrub. Got to go. The helicopter is landing.

Questions? You want them to WANT to meet you because you sound that cool.

That's a really great essay, thank you for sharing. I know medical schools typically want to matriculate students that they think will stay and practice in the area. Is that not true for residency programs? I ask because your essay makes it very clear that you want to end up in Alaska.

My main problem is getting started. Throughout undergrad I've been a pretty decent essay writer (I think) and (I think I mentioned this before) I didn't have a problem keeping the reader interested, it was getting them interested that I couldn't figure out.

My most blaring weakness is my GPA. The exact numbers are in the "what are my chances" forum, but my GPA trend looks like this: Freshman 1.4, Sophomore 2.5, Junior, 3.3, Senior, 3.7 (121 total credits). CC DIY Post Bacc 4.0 (30 credits). I don't know if this is typical, but I want to talk about my weaknesses because I want the opportunity to explain myself and I also think that my strong upward trend is one of the strengths of my application. I've read that addressing your application's weakness(es) is something you should do in your PS. Is that true? If so, should it be brief or should you be pretty thorough about it? I've got no excuses for my GPA and I don't even have a good reason (health, death in the family, etc). I just didn't put in the work and I got what I got. I want to make it clear that I am not making excuses for anything, but at the same time I don't want to admit that my GPA sucked (sucks) because I was lazy and didn't care about school.

]
That's a really great essay, thank you for sharing. I know medical schools typically want to matriculate students that they think will stay and practice in the area. Is that not true for residency programs? I ask because your essay makes it very clear that you want to end up in Alaska.

My main problem is getting started. Throughout undergrad I've been a pretty decent essay writer (I think) and (I think I mentioned this before) I didn't have a problem keeping the reader interested, it was getting them interested that I couldn't figure out.

My most blaring weakness is my GPA. The exact numbers are in the "what are my chances" forum, but my GPA trend looks like this: Freshman 1.4, Sophomore 2.5, Junior, 3.3, Senior, 3.7 (121 total credits). CC DIY Post Bacc 4.0 (30 credits). I don't know if this is typical, but I want to talk about my weaknesses because I want the opportunity to explain myself and I also think that my strong upward trend is one of the strengths of my application. I've read that addressing your application's weakness(es) is something you should do in your PS. Is that true? If so, should it be brief or should you be pretty thorough about it? I've got no excuses for my GPA and I don't even have a good reason (health, death in the family, etc). I just didn't put in the work and I got what I got. I want to make it clear that I am not making excuses for anything, but at the same time I don't want to admit that my GPA sucked (sucks) because I was lazy and didn't care about school.

Yes, Alaska was my vision for a long time. Things change and now I live in Oregon. It is a very global world anymore and no one can expect any student or resident to stay locally and I think that is generally a falsehood perpetuated in these forums. If that were the case then there wouldn't be any trained physicians in rural areas or in the states that don't have medical schools.

DO NOT DWELL on the GPA thing. You need only to mention that past poor performance was due to immaturity and as one gets older, perspectives and goals change hence your upward trend and readiness for the forthcoming rigors to be faced.

]

Yes, Alaska was my vision for a long time. Things change and now I live in Oregon. It is a very global world anymore and no one can expect any student or resident to stay locally and I think that is generally a falsehood perpetuated in these forums. If that were the case then there wouldn't be any trained physicians in rural areas or in the states that don't have medical schools.

DO NOT DWELL on the GPA thing. You need only to mention that past poor performance was due to immaturity and as one gets older, perspectives and goals change hence your upward trend and readiness for the forthcoming rigors to be faced.

That's basically what I said in my 2010 PS, but I think it kind of seems like I'm avoiding it because I want to bury it so nobody can question me about it.. That's not the truth, but I don't want ADCOMs to think that's what I'm doing. What do you think?

Btw when did you edit your "If you can find me you can shadow me" thing? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
That's basically what I said in my 2010 PS, but I think it kind of seems like I'm avoiding it because I want to bury it so nobody can question me about it.. That's not the truth, but I don't want ADCOMs to think that's what I'm doing. What do you think?

Btw when did you edit your "If you can find me you can shadow me" thing? :)

Who cares about dwelling on bad grades. Heck, half the applicants have bad grades. Just minimalize it and move forward. You can't go back, accept and move on.

I did the shadow thing a few weeks ago. I will be ready this fall.

Who cares about dwelling on bad grades. Heck, half the applicants have bad grades. Just minimalize it and move forward. You can't go back, accept and move on.

I did the shadow thing a few weeks ago. I will be ready this fall.

Ok so mentioning it is enough to show that I acknowledge it as a weakness and have improved on it since.

can some more people contribute to this thread please. it would be a tremendous help to all of us who are gearing up to apply in the upcoming cycle.

Well, I'll give a sneak peak into my personal statement idea (no idea if it's good, but I wanted to get away from talking about my activities and such).

I broke down my life into 3 stages and reflected on each one discussing how my interest for medicine came about and essentially how I grew up. I mentioned some grade issues, but used it more as a stepping stone into how I got past it. I've had a few readers who seem to like it but I'll probably tweak it a few more times. I'm at a total of 11 essay revisions!:thumbup:

I'll be honest... the best way to write your personal statement is just to start typing. Don't need to start with an introduction in your rough draft... you can do that last. Just type up individual paragraphs, and you'll find a way to link them all together... or end up deleting it all together. This is the best way to do it.

As for content, just begin with whatever you feel like. I talked about things that were important to me and that I'm passionate about... Made separate paragraphs for leadership/creating organizations, community service, passion for science/teaching, clinical experience/shadowing, and interest in philosophy (not D.O. philosophy... just plain ol' philosophy).

I didn't echo everything on my application... I just introduced some things and described my experience, how it affected me, how I learned about others and myself from the experience, etc. By the end, the adcom had a good idea of who I was... since all of the above describe my personality and passions pretty well.

Don't tell them what you THINK they want to hear. That's not the point of the PS. They've never met you... so the PS is to tell them who you are, and what attributes/experiences/knowledge/wisdom you have that you can bring to benefit their medschool and the medical field.

Well, I'll give a sneak peak into my personal statement idea (no idea if it's good, but I wanted to get away from talking about my activities and such).

I broke down my life into 3 stages and reflected on each one discussing how my interest for medicine came about and essentially how I grew up. I mentioned some grade issues, but used it more as a stepping stone into how I got past it. I've had a few readers who seem to like it but I'll probably tweak it a few more times. I'm at a total of 11 essay revisions!:thumbup:

UT, I'd be happy to be your 12th revisor if you need one. Us texans gotta stick together. :cool:

the best way to write your personal statement is just to start typing. Don't need to start with an introduction in your rough draft... you can do that last. Just type up individual paragraphs, and you'll find a way to link them all together... or end up deleting it all together. This is the best way to do it.
:thumbup:. This method worked for me. If you write enough crap, chances are, eventually something you write is not going to stink too much. Refine and expand on that idea once you get to it. Also, while it's nice to have a hook, it's not necessary at all. It's better to appear genuine than to appear gimmicky/fake (if you can't come up with a good hook).

can some more people contribute to this thread please. it would be a tremendous help to all of us who are gearing up to apply in the upcoming cycle.

Go to your reference librarian or a random prof in the English department who is not looking too busy and ask them for a few minutes of their time. Tell them you're applying for med school and need a neutral observer to critique your statement. They'd be thrilled that you asked.

That's what I did.

I'll be honest... the best way to write your personal statement is just to start typing. Don't need to start with an introduction in your rough draft... you can do that last. Just type up individual paragraphs, and you'll find a way to link them all together... or end up deleting it all together. This is the best way to do it.

As for content, just begin with whatever you feel like. I talked about things that were important to me and that I'm passionate about... Made separate paragraphs for leadership/creating organizations, community service, passion for science/teaching, clinical experience/shadowing, and interest in philosophy (not D.O. philosophy... just plain ol' philosophy).

I didn't echo everything on my application... I just introduced some things and described my experience, how it affected me, how I learned about others and myself from the experience, etc. By the end, the adcom had a good idea of who I was... since all of the above describe my personality and passions pretty well.

Don't tell them what you THINK they want to hear. That's not the point of the PS. They've never met you... so the PS is to tell them who you are, and what attributes/experiences/knowledge/wisdom you have that you can bring to benefit their medschool and the medical field.

I might try that strategy. Last final exam is on Thursday so I'll be working on it starting then!

I'll also take a look if you need another reviser.

I feel like I wrote a very good personal statement and had countless English faculty, friends, and strangers critique it. The strangers part is important - have them read it and then send you an e-mail back describing yourself to you. If they aren't able to paint a pretty good picture of who you are and why you're a good candidate for medical school your essay isn't good enough.

The biggest thing I can tell you is that you do not write this in a weekend. You rough draft it this week and do not finalize it until you submit your app. Write on it, leave it for days, and come back to it... do that across at least a month's time. You want it to the point that if you read it six months from now you would not change a thing. I opened mine after six months and felt just that.

Be incredibly concise, share just enough information about yourself to paint a picture, not so much information that you don't leave them wondering, and make them want to learn more about you. I do not believe you should answer, "Why do you want to be a physician," in the personal statement... at least not directly. You will undoubtedly have that opportunity either in secondaries or during your interview and if you answered it in your PS, by the time either of those arrives, you will be beating the proverbial dead horse. Rather, talk about what makes you who you are - life struggles, unique experiences, qualities that make you successful, etc.

I think I mentioned being a physician twice and osteopathic medicine once in the entire thing. This is more about what makes you tick and why you're a good candidate.

If anyone in this thread wants a copy of my personal statement just send me a private message and I would be more than happy to share.

I feel like I wrote a very good personal statement and had countless English faculty, friends, and strangers critique it. The strangers part is important - have them read it and then send you an e-mail back describing yourself to you. If they aren't able to paint a pretty good picture of who you are and why you're a good candidate for medical school your essay isn't good enough.

The biggest thing I can tell you is that you do not write this in a weekend. You rough draft it this week and do not finalize it until you submit your app. Write on it, leave it for days, and come back to it... do that across at least a month's time. You want it to the point that if you read it six months from now you would not change a thing. I opened mine after six months and felt just that.

Be incredibly concise, share just enough information about yourself to paint a picture, not so much information that you don't leave them wondering, and make them want to learn more about you. I do not believe you should answer, "Why do you want to be a physician," in the personal statement... at least not directly. You will undoubtedly have that opportunity either in secondaries or during your interview and if you answered it in your PS, by the time either of those arrives, you will be beating the proverbial dead horse. Rather, talk about what makes you who you are - life struggles, unique experiences, qualities that make you successful, etc.

I think I mentioned being a physician twice and osteopathic medicine once in the entire thing. This is more about what makes you tick and why you're a good candidate.

If anyone in this thread wants a copy of my personal statement just send me a private message and I would be more than happy to share.

Thank you! I'm almost done with my first draft.

Anyone willing to read?

BUMP

I am having a hard-time too. I wrote one back in 2009 but was told recently that I focus too much on psychiatry/mental health. Personal experiences with mental health have lead me to the medical school path. I could have done anything with my life, but these experiences led me to this point and keep leading me. I started from scratch and have had some people on here look at it. The new PS is completely disconnected at this point and I tried to include recent experiences. Mental health would be my theme but how do I write a good PS without focusing on the very thing that brought me to medicine? I am not a flambouyant personality, so I am not a story-teller. Any suggestions? How do I balance?