Personal Statement Ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bazuka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys need help with the personal statement.

I am writing my personal statement and I am just blank what to put. Specifically what are they looking for? Do I just tell about my background and how I came to a decision of being a pharmacist?

If I tell them that I chose pharmacy because it has good job stability and pays very well, would that sound like I am doing this for money? A lot of pharmacists have told me not mention that in the interview because that is huge blow out right there.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Well stability and pay may not be valid excuses anymore with all the new schools popping up, but still if you think thats a good point to bring up in interviews, you probably need to brush up those skills.

I'll ask you this: There are other jobs out there with stability and decent pay. Why pharmacy over those? why pharmacy over any of these
http://finance.yahoo.com/career-wor...Six-Figure-Jobs?mod=career-salary_negotiation ?
If you can't think of a valid reason and you're in it for just the money, get another career.

I am writing my personal statement and I am just blank what to put. Specifically what are they looking for? Do I just tell about my background and how I came to a decision of being a pharmacist?

If I tell them that I chose pharmacy because it has good job stability and pays very well, would that sound like I am doing this for money? A lot of pharmacists have told me not mention that in the interview because that is huge blow out right there.

Any ideas?

You're overthinking this. Just honestly, colorfully, and uniquely answer the prompt. As my pharmacist mentor put it, "You need to shine."

Good lord, I should hope that's not the reason you would put in your PS for why you chose pharmacy--you'll be tossed in the reject pile almost certainly. While stability and salary are certainly major benefits of the career, adcoms are expecting you have more genuine reasons to provide healthcare than that.

"...and pays very well, would that sound like I am doing this for the money?"

Uhh, yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk about an unique experience you had that is related to pharmacy would be a good way to begin your PS. Whether it was something that happened when you were volunteering, or working as a tech, or even something that happened to you in a pharmacy when you were a customer. Talk about that experience. This way, it will be unique, because other people can't really have the exact same experience as you, and it sort of makes you seem sincere. Than you can continue on to say you like pharmacy, and go on to what you did to get to where you are, and how you overcame you hardships, etc, etc.

Just something to think about. ^_^

Any ideas?

Listen to the pharmacists. People talking about the pay and job stability are a big turn off.

What is the official prompt for personal statements in the AMCAS application?

Any ideas?

I'm not saying this to be mean to you at all, but I seriously suggest considering whether pharmacy is something that you REALLY want to do if you have to ask us this question and cannot come up with answers on your own. You should have at least 1 genuine reason for wanting to do pharmacy aside from job stability and good pay? It can be a high stress job, and if you are not truly interested in the field of healthcare, then the money will not be worth it at all to hate your job. You should be able to come up with a personal statement from your own feelings. I'm not going to share my personal reasons for going into pharmacy (you need to come up with these on your own), but I can describe how I structured my PS to give you an idea of what to think about. I started with my experience in the healthcare field going back to when I was a teenager to establish a longstanding interest in it. I briefly touched upon my academic career and how it is suited towards pharmacy. I then discussed my experience as a tech and a specific situation involving a patient which inspired me to want to be a pharmacist. I talked about my career goals and what I expect to get out of being a pharmacist and then summed up the whole thing. Do you have experience as a tech or have you shadowed a pharmacist? If so, you should draw upon that experience and think about what you like and don't like. If you don't have experience, I strongly suggest you try it out before applying to school. It's a long and challenging commitment, so I'm just urging you to put some thought into it before diving in. </soapbox> (I truly intended this to be constructive, so if it sounds offensive or aggressive, I apologize.)