Personal statement indenting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxplz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys indented the beginning of each paragraph of your personal statement?

One of my friends who submitted last year didn't, and he got into a few schools so I'm assuming it's not that big of a deal whether we do it or not.

The only reason I'm concerned is because it takes up spaces, meaning extra characters so yea..

Members don't see this ad.

As I remember, when I pasted my statement into the text field on pharmCAS is wouldn't allow me to indent except for the very first paragraph. I don't think you have the option and that's not going to affect your chance of getting an acceptance or an interview for that matter.

If you're concerned about indenting, you can just add a few extra spaces at the beginning of each paragraph (rather than tabbing, which I don't think works in the PharmCAS format). The problem with this is that it adds to your character total, and (at least for me) it's tough to keep the essay under the 4,500-character limit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if you guys indented the beginning of each paragraph of your personal statement?

One of my friends who submitted last year didn't, and he got into a few schools so I'm assuming it's not that big of a deal whether we do it or not.

The only reason I'm concerned is because it takes up spaces, meaning extra characters so yea..

You really shouldn't. It's the start of the document, so there's no need to indent to let people know it's a new paragraph.

I just wrote it block style, using enter to leave an empty line between paragraphs. It only uses one character and will leave it looking neat no matter what formatting it goes through.

I just wrote it block style, using enter to leave an empty line between paragraphs. It only uses one character and will leave it looking neat no matter what formatting it goes through.

i did the same.

I did this, also.

is the PS on the pharmcas an essay-format? or more like a letter-format....with it being addresssed to the admission comittee?

need some help how to go about this part.....have all other sections done but this one :(

I don't remember any specific instructions about who your PS should be directed at. When I wrote mine (incidentally also in block format, LOL), I just wrote it like I would an essay, except not like the typical "In this essay, I will address the following...".

I would most assuredly not start it, "Dear Admissions Commitee folks...".

Whether there is an explicitly right or wrong answer here, I don't think so.

is the PS on the pharmcas an essay-format? or more like a letter-format....with it being addresssed to the admission comittee?

need some help how to go about this part.....have all other sections done but this one :(

Essay format is what most applicants utilize, though, there really is no set guideline. Get creative.

Maybe start it with something like: "HEY, LOOK OVER HERE! I JUST CLEARED MY GENITAL WARTS..."

then start writing, that would probably be really catchy.

Essay format is what most applicants utilize, though, there really is no set guideline. Get creative.

Maybe start it with something like: "HEY, LOOK OVER HERE! I JUST CLEARED MY GENITAL WARTS..."

then start writing, that would probably be really catchy.

Hell yeah! Then you could segue into using Aldara 5% and how amazing it felt to be able to pronounce the medication you're using to treat them and how you just knew you had to be a Pharmacist.