rxplz

10+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I was wondering if you guys indented the beginning of each paragraph of your personal statement?

One of my friends who submitted last year didn't, and he got into a few schools so I'm assuming it's not that big of a deal whether we do it or not.

The only reason I'm concerned is because it takes up spaces, meaning extra characters so yea..

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
As I remember, when I pasted my statement into the text field on pharmCAS is wouldn't allow me to indent except for the very first paragraph. I don't think you have the option and that's not going to affect your chance of getting an acceptance or an interview for that matter.

AntiviralsRule

Student Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2007
Bay Area, Calif.
Status
Pharmacy Student
If you're concerned about indenting, you can just add a few extra spaces at the beginning of each paragraph (rather than tabbing, which I don't think works in the PharmCAS format). The problem with this is that it adds to your character total, and (at least for me) it's tough to keep the essay under the 4,500-character limit.

charfdorn

10+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Status
Pharmacy Student
I was wondering if you guys indented the beginning of each paragraph of your personal statement?

One of my friends who submitted last year didn't, and he got into a few schools so I'm assuming it's not that big of a deal whether we do it or not.

The only reason I'm concerned is because it takes up spaces, meaning extra characters so yea..
You really shouldn't. It's the start of the document, so there's no need to indent to let people know it's a new paragraph.

KayGee87

Accepted PharmD!
5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
A2
Status
Pharmacy Student
I just wrote it block style, using enter to leave an empty line between paragraphs. It only uses one character and will leave it looking neat no matter what formatting it goes through.

koercive

Industry HE&OR, Large Cap Pharma
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
New Jersey
www.pharmapplicants.com
Status
Pharmacist
I just wrote it block style, using enter to leave an empty line between paragraphs. It only uses one character and will leave it looking neat no matter what formatting it goes through.
i did the same.

miko

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy, Pharmacy Student
I did this, also.

futurepharm2010

10+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
Status
Non-Student
is the PS on the pharmcas an essay-format? or more like a letter-format....with it being addresssed to the admission comittee?

need some help how to go about this part.....have all other sections done but this one :(

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
I don't remember any specific instructions about who your PS should be directed at. When I wrote mine (incidentally also in block format, LOL), I just wrote it like I would an essay, except not like the typical "In this essay, I will address the following...".

I would most assuredly not start it, "Dear Admissions Commitee folks...".

Whether there is an explicitly right or wrong answer here, I don't think so.

calisoca

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
is the PS on the pharmcas an essay-format? or more like a letter-format....with it being addresssed to the admission comittee?

need some help how to go about this part.....have all other sections done but this one :(
Essay format is what most applicants utilize, though, there really is no set guideline. Get creative.

Maybe start it with something like: "HEY, LOOK OVER HERE! I JUST CLEARED MY GENITAL WARTS..."

then start writing, that would probably be really catchy.

Passion4Sci

LML
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Status
Pharmacy Student
Essay format is what most applicants utilize, though, there really is no set guideline. Get creative.

Maybe start it with something like: "HEY, LOOK OVER HERE! I JUST CLEARED MY GENITAL WARTS..."

then start writing, that would probably be really catchy.
Hell yeah! Then you could segue into using Aldara 5% and how amazing it felt to be able to pronounce the medication you're using to treat them and how you just knew you had to be a Pharmacist.