Personal statement/letter of intent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psydreams

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

No sure if this thread already exists but I have some questions about the personal statement for PsyD applications. 1. How should I format my personal statement? If a school calls it a "letter of intent" should I format it like a letter? 2. In terms of content, should I strive for clarity/formality or should I make my statement more story-like?

I already wrote my statement a while ago but now I am getting very paranoid about actually submitting the thing. My applications are all complete but I keep hanging on to this statement....

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I think a letter of intent is like a cover letter. Format it as such. As for your personal statement, even a story-like arc should have clarity. The point of the statement is to show you have a clear investment/interest in the area of study (which can be illustrated in a more narrative/story-like manner if you choose) and the mindset that will set you up for success. Doesn't need to be overly formal, but I wouldn't treat it like an experimental project for a creative writing class either.

Yes, I think a letter of intent is like a cover letter. Format it as such. As for your personal statement, even a story-like arc should have clarity. The point of the statement is to show you have a clear investment/interest in the area of study (which can be illustrated in a more narrative/story-like manner if you choose) and the mindset that will set you up for success. Doesn't need to be overly formal, but I wouldn't treat it like an experimental project for a creative writing class either.

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it