Personal Statement name mention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weanprednisone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I was editing another student's PS, I noticed they used a full name, and immediately told them to change it to at least a first name/make up a name to prevent HIPPA violation.

They ask if they should say N instead. (an initial than Nick)
I then asked a friend working in a med school, and she said she prefers when people say like: Nick, name disguised for confidentiality, was a patient I cared for.

What is your opinion on initial names?
Dr. O (physicians you shadow)
Nick (first name)
N (initial)

I personally thought fake first name without the (name disguised for confidentiality reasons) was fine. I always felt weird reading initial names... Dr. O did this and that... N passed away and changed my life.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd stick with initials because they save you valuable characters, but that's just me.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I like to use Mr. X, A, etc. Gets the point across and uses minimal characters.

Reactions: 1 user
I would use initials for a patient and either Dr./Ms./Mr. [last name] or Dr. [L] for a doctor/professor/boss.

That said, I didn't use any of these terms in my PS. I attribute that more to my writing style though.

I like to use Mr. X, A, etc. Gets the point across and uses minimal characters.
The "Mr. F" theme went through my head when I read that

This discussion is so neurotic and pointless. Sure -- if you are that short on characters, I'd recommend using shortened names, but your main issue may actually be verbosity.

Ultimately, it makes no difference how you use names; no one will care if it is john, jack, or jane, or Mr. X. You have totally misunderstood the audience and what their goal in reading.

Reactions: 1 users
This discussion is so neurotic and pointless. Sure -- if you are that short on characters, I'd recommend using shortened names, but your main issue may actually be verbosity.

Ultimately, it makes no difference how you use names; no one will care if it is john, jack, or jane, or Mr. X. You have totally misunderstood the audience and what their goal in reading.

This is prob a good point really.

I just avoid using names completely. I can't really think of a reason where it would be absolutely necessary to use a name/initial/what have you.

It's hard to name drop without coming off pretentious; however, even if you do accomplish it, does it add anything to your PS? Take the following 2 sentences for instance.
1. "The experience of working with the phenomenal plastic surgeons at my medical school has taught me the value of creating perky breasts while reserving my weekends for golf"
2. "The experience of working with Dr. Takesnoinsurance at HMS has taught me the value of creating perky breasts while reserving my weekends for golf. "

The 2nd sentence is not any more effective than the first. DO NOT NAME DROP. If you feel compelled to mention the influence of attendings on your career choice, do so in generalities.

Last edited:
I just avoid using names completely. I can't really think of a reason where it would be absolutely necessary to use a name/initial/what have you.
I completely agree with you about physician name dropping. I would put Dr. S instead of Dr. Smith.

I just felt like there is something that brings the reader closer to the story when a person writes a first name instead of an initial.

At least for me, when I read F vs. Frank, it's just different. Anyway, good talk. I think I'll always advise making up a fake name rather than giving out the real first name. And in an interview, I would just make sure to mention the names I speak of are disguised.

I completely agree with you about physician name dropping. I would put Dr. S instead of Dr. Smith.

I just felt like there is something that brings the reader closer to the story when a person writes a first name instead of an initial.

At least for me, when I read F vs. Frank, it's just different. Anyway, good talk. I think I'll always advise making up a fake name rather than giving out the real first name. And in an interview, I would just make sure to mention the names I speak of are disguised.

But would putting "Dr. S" or "Dr. Smith" instead of "the physician I worked with" really add anything to a personal statement? I feel like most people reading would just read it the latter way in their head anyway and ignore the name. Only reason I can think of to use a name would be if you talk at length about a close family member. Full names definitely sound better than initials, but I think you can just avoid both.

Last edited:
But would putting "Dr. S" or "Dr. Smith" instead of "the physician I shadowed" really add anything to a personal statement? I feel like most people reading would just read it the latter way in their head anyway and ignore the name. Only reason I can think of to use a name would be if you talk at length about a close family member. Full names definitely sound better than initials, but I think you can just avoid both.

Dr. Smith makes the most sense, to me.
"the physican I shadowed" takes more characters.
Dr. S. is fine, particularly if the real name is Dr. Simbabananathan. You may have listed the doctor's name in the experience section so there isn't much point in using a pseudonym to protect the doctor's privacy.

I think that a patient could be "Ned" in quotes to indicate that it is a pseudonym.

I used the full doctors name whom I scribed for in my PS since he wrote my letter of recommendation, I just made sure to ask him beforehand if it was ok with him. As for patient names I'd stick with "Mr or Mrs B" etc, something vague and obviously disguised

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app