Personal statement: narrative of my life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand, personal statements are supposed to give an audience some insight into why I want to be a physician. I don't have any amazing stories or reasons to explain my interest in medicine. Put simply, I want to be a physician because I like how it's a blend of science and application; I like how it directly impacts the lives of others (as it has impacted and improved the life of one of my parents); and I like the stable career prospects.

Mentioning this alone doesn't make a very good personal statement. I'm thinking of tying it together with a brief narrative of my life, starting with a health issue of my dad, mentioning how amazing his recovery was, and then talking about how seeing this recover "sparked the embers" for my goal of becoming a physician. Mainly, how I became more serious about medicine throughout my college years, with my interest in science/teamwork/service/responsibility (ideal qualities in a physician) coming about through my college studies, work experience, and, in general, life experience.

Does this sound like a good start to a personal statement, or something absolutely terrible?

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand, personal statements are supposed to give an audience some insight into why I want to be a physician. I don't have any amazing stories or reasons to explain my interest in medicine. Put simply, I want to be a physician because I like how it's a blend of science and application; I like how it directly impacts the lives of others (as it has impacted and improved the life of one of my parents); and I like the stable career prospects.

Mentioning this alone doesn't make a very good personal statement. I'm thinking of tying it together with a brief narrative of my life, starting with a health issue of my dad, mentioning how amazing his recovery was, and then talking about how seeing this recover "sparked the embers" for my goal of becoming a physician. Mainly, how I became more serious about medicine throughout my college years, with my interest in science/teamwork/service/responsibility (ideal qualities in a physician) coming about through my college studies, work experience, and, in general, life experience.

Does this sound like a good start to a personal statement, or something absolutely terrible?
Sounds like it would work fine. The biggest problem with any PS is the execution, not the concept, so make sure plenty of people read it and give feedback. Just don't spend all of your time talking about a family member's illness, make that only part of what led you to medicine.

This is roughly the format that I followed. As long as you don't digress and stay on topic it's perfectly appropriate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like it would work fine. The biggest problem with any PS is the execution, not the concept, so make sure plenty of people read it and give feedback. Just don't spend all of your time talking about a family member's illness, make that only part of what led you to medicine.

Agree. The vast majority of premed narratives will be a variation of the theme "I like science, I like people, I like science and people." The difference between a good and bad essay is the execution, how it flows, how it highlights your strengths or compensates for perceived weaknesses, how human it makes you seem.

I think that sounds great. Just be sincere. Start by writing your PS as you would if a friend or relative asked you why you want to be a physician. A chronological narrative approach is good because it gives your statement an automatic theme and structure, just try to make sure you have a couple of interesting and specific anecdotes to keep the whole thing from being a dry autobiography.

As long as there aren't flashing lights and sirens...