Personal statement question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corey5546

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,
So I already submitted my primary but I've been a bit anxious. During my sophomore years of college I fell ill and experienced a traumatic death in my family. Anyways this did affect my grades. I devoted my personal statement to this story explaining that the experiences ultimately furthered my drive to become a physician as well as what I learned. Did I mess up making this my personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

@corey5546, I'm sorry you had to experience something like that during your sophomore year of college. I also lost a member of my family during my senior year of college so I understand the heartache, anxiety and grief involved. If you felt like those events in your life ultimately furthered your drive to become a physician, don't second guess it. Every applicant to medical school has something that will make them unique and able to add to the diversity of their medical school class, through their experiences, culture, etc., so everyones personal statement shouldn't be the same. I also wrote about my own experiences in my personal statement and I was not faulted for it. I ended up having really great conversations with several of my interviewers this past cycle. Good luck this year!

Last edited:
Thank
@corey5546, I'm sorry you had to experience something like that during your sophomore year of college. I also lost a member of my family during my senior year of college so I understand the heartache, anxiety and grief involved. If you felt like those events in your life ultimately furthered your drive to become a physician, don't second guess it. Every applicant to medical school has something that will make them unique and able to add to the diversity of their medical school class, through their experiences, etc., so everyones personal statement shouldn't be the same. I also wrote about my own experiences in my personal statement and I was not faulted for it. I ended up having really great conversations with several of my interviewers this past cycle. Good luck this year!
thank you so much! Your comment really lifted a weight off my shoulders!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Very sorry to hear this. I worry that it may come off as excuse making to a reader.

hello all,
So I already submitted my primary but I've been a bit anxious. During my sophomore years of college I fell ill and experienced a traumatic death in my family. Anyways this did affect my grades. I devoted my personal statement to this story explaining that the experiences ultimately furthered my drive to become a physician as well as what I learned. Did I mess up making this my personal statement?

hello all,

Is it submitted? Because if it is then nothing to worry about.

Just see how it sounds to you. If you feel worried at all, then think about if you can write it in a different way so that you're not worried. Confidence is key!

Is it submitted? Because if it is then nothing to worry about.

Just see how it sounds to you. If you feel worried at all, then think about if you can write it in a different way so that you're not worried. Confidence is key!

It is all ready submitted. My intentions were definitely not to play the victim card but rather to explain my determination to become a physician as well as what I have learned from the experience. Thank you for your response, it's greatly appreciated!

Agree with @Goro . It almost 100% depends on how you went about it. If you focused on what you learned and how it inspired you to become a physician, then hopefully you should be ok. If you focused too much on the impact it had on your grades, it may seem as making an excuse.