Personal Statement Readers? Trans Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chunkyfilms

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not applying until 2019-2020 cycle, but I have a personal statement written. My paper is largely about me being transgender and a few LGBT activities I participated in. My statement will most likely change over the next year, but I need a more refined version of it and a direction. Some of my professors want to see my personal statement before writing a LOR so that they know the theme of my essay. I don't know if I want it to be so trans/LGBT because I don't want to have tunnel vision on what my interests are or turn some adcoms away from my application. Would anyone like to help me out with this?

Members don't see this ad.

risky imo. not bad just risky. tread lightly

This is a terrible idea and will get you auto-screened at many programs. Your sexuality & gender identity is your business, not the ADCOM's.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a terrible idea and will get you auto-screened at many programs. Your sexuality & gender identity is your business, not the ADCOM's.

It all depends on how you frame it. I've had many secondaries that specifically ask about sexual orientation and gender identity. Obviously you have to be smart about the programs you apply to, but saying this is a terrible idea and doesn't belong in the application process is simply wrong.

Reactions: 2 users

The application has options where it asks for birth sex and then gender identity so they'll know regardless. I didn't talk all about how I came out and struggled with it. I briefly mentioned it and then went into shadowing I did under physicians for trans people and activities I did within the trans community. I wouldn't mind if my PS was more diverse and less trans/LGBT. I won't need it until next year so it has the potential to change.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm URM (black) so perhaps adding the lack of healthcare in communities with people of color would be another angle. I definitely want to discuss being trans and healthcare issues for trans people so these two ideas would have to be merged. I will not be applying to LUCOM or Loma Linda.

I’m sorry but this could not be further from the truth.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm URM (black) so perhaps adding the lack of healthcare in communities with people of color would be another angle. I definitely want to discuss being trans and healthcare issues for trans people so these two ideas would have to be merged. I will not be applying to LUCOM or Loma Linda.
FWIW Im a cis-gendered gay man and its basically all over my application with activities, diversity statement, etc. and have an interview already this cycle. I talked about the marginalization of LGBT patients and wanting to provide health equity. I think if you angle it so its not like "Im trans and back, accept me" then you should be fine. It sounds like you have a good narrative and I think you can use your background to tie into your future goals.

This is trash.

I'd be happy to read your statement if you want. I'm also a black trans person that will be starting M1 in a few weeks and had LGBTQIA and specifically trans* stuff all over my application and got many interviews and multiple acceptances.

Reactions: 2 users
This is trash.

I'd be happy to read your statement if you want. I'm also a black trans person that will be starting M1 in a few weeks and had LGBTQIA and specifically trans* stuff all over my application and got many interviews and multiple acceptances.
My whole thing is that if they dont like me being LGBTQIA, then I probably wouldnt be a good fit there and wouldnt wanna spend 4 years in that type of environment.

I have a slowly growing backlog of personal statements to read, but I wouldn’t mind adding yours to the stack.

I also fall into the group of “it can be a great personal statement IF AND ONLY IF it’s framed and discussed appropriately”.

Reactions: 1 user
I would be happy to read it if you would like. I think the strongest way to approach it would be to discuss how your identity makes you want to help those like you in medicine (you would need to volunteer with the LGBTQ+ and/or URM for this to be believable) and talk about your unique experiences that will make you able to understand your patients. And discuss how you came to love medicine. You can also show your perseverance through this PS.

I don't think focusing on your identity independent of medicine is the way to go since the prompt of the essay is 'why medicine'. There is also a diversity essay in pretty much every secondary (not all but most) - so you will want to think of what information you want to put in the PS vs that diversity essay to be sure that you are showing them all of who you are/your experience

Reactions: 1 user
My opinion is that it would be appropriate and perhaps advantageous for the focus of your paper to be your transgender status ONLY IF your genuine motivation to pursue a career in medicine has to do with the specific medical, psychiatric, and surgical needs of the transgender community. Otherwise I would save it for the diversity essay.